Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Absinthe: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#511 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

I recently had a miserable weather weekend to myself and figure the best way to fortify myself would be to drink Sazeracs all weekend. I had a bottle of good bourbon but no absinthe, so in a moment of self indulgence I sprang for a $60 bottle of Vieux Carre so I could coat the inside of the glass. The obvious problem, of course, is that at this rate I have enough absinthe to last for a lifetime of Sazeracs. I could drink it the old fashioned way, but that would get boring quick. What to do with it all?
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...
Homer Simpson

#512 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

I've never heard of anyone cooking with it, though maybe you could use it in place of Pernod.

#513 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

What to do with it all?

I'm fond of this from time-to-time. Crowd pleaser too, if your crowd likes craft.

2 to 2
by Stephan Cole, The Violet Hour, Chicago, IL
1 1/2 oz Aperol
1 oz Absinthe, Lucid
1 oz Lemon juice
1/4 oz Simple syrup
1 ds Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters
1 twst Orange peel (flamed, as garnish)

Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish.

Posted Image
  • FrogPrincesse likes this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#514 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Given the price of absinthe, I'm rather glad that a little goes a long way....

#515 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm fond of this from time-to-time. Crowd pleaser too, if your crowd likes craft.

2 to 2
by Stephan Cole, The Violet Hour, Chicago, IL
1 1/2 oz Aperol
1 oz Absinthe, Lucid
1 oz Lemon juice
1/4 oz Simple syrup
1 ds Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters
1 twst Orange peel (flamed, as garnish)

Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish.

I'm definitely going to have to try that one.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#516 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've never had it due to unavailability but is its properties' reputation deserved? I would like to try absinthe...

#517 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Other than the Sazerac, other cocktails that immediately come to mind are the Improved Whiskey Cocktail, the Corpse Reviver No. 2, the Rattlesnake, the French Pearl and also tiki cocktails with the Test Pilot or the 1934 Zombie.
See the Absinthe topic or MxMo XLVI (roundup part I and II) for more ideas.

You could also make absinthe cakes, absinthe ice cream, etc.

#518 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I've never had it due to unavailability but is its properties' reputation deserved? I would like to try absinthe...

There is no psychoactive effect, other than alcohol. It tastes like black licorice / fennel. If you like that flavor, get a bottle. I personally don't drink it often except as an ingredient. As a rinse, a bottle goes a long way, as the OP noted. If you like Pernod / Ricard, then definitely try a bottle. It is more interesting, less sweet, and higher in alcohol.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#519 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

There is no psychoactive effect, other than alcohol. It tastes like black licorice / fennel. If you like that flavor, get a bottle. I personally don't drink it often except as an ingredient. As a rinse, a bottle goes a long way, as the OP noted. If you like Pernod / Ricard, then definitely try a bottle. It is more interesting, less sweet, and higher in alcohol.

My suspicion. As an aperitif alcohol can have some potent affects on an empty stomach...

#520 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

I can't remember off the top of my head (and too tired to look it up), but some French absinthe I had in the time after it was reintroduced in Europe but still banned in the States gave me a sort of clear-headed feeling for half an hour or so, then I was just left with a gigantic alcohol wallop for the rest of the night. There's no real "high" or "tripping" sensation though.

Ethanol by the way does have a psychoactive effect, that's what intoxication is!

#521 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

I seem to remember that the wine industry in France was suffering due to the popularity of Absinthe. The infamously purported perils of the liquor were actually a result brought on by a smear campaign that ended with the banning of absinthe in 1914. Sounds familiar... :hmmm:

#522 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I seem to remember that the wine industry in France was suffering due to the popularity of Absinthe. The infamously purported perils of the liquor were actually a result brought on by a smear campaign that ended with the banning of absinthe in 1914. Sounds familiar... :hmmm:

Yep

#523 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

The Whisky Exchange absinthe selection includes the Jades in 20 cl bottles for around £22 (~$30 ex VAT). Which one should I get for cocktail purposes?

#524 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

The Whisky Exchange absinthe selection includes the Jades in 20 cl bottles for around £22 (~$30 ex VAT). Which one should I get for cocktail purposes?

My favorite is the Edouard (72%), mostly for Sazeracs & similar rinse/garnish applications.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#525 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

The Whisky Exchange absinthe selection includes the Jades in 20 cl bottles for around £22 (~$30 ex VAT). Which one should I get for cocktail purposes?

They have St. George too. I've been very happy with it, by itself or in cocktails. Give it a shot.

After the Gastown, last night I tried another creation from Happiness Forgets, this one by Johan Ekelund. Absinthe as the base (the original recipe was created with Pernod, I substituted St. George), grapefruit juice (I used Oro Blanco instead of pink grapefruit), lime juice, simple syrup, mint, and egg white. Egg white emulsified by hand; I had pretty good luck this time (this was a very fresh egg).

Dapper Man Sour (original recipe here, converted to oz in the Kindred database)

11446100223_17b9a0bf3a_z.jpg

The egg white tamed the absinthe quite a bit without covering its flavor. It reminded me of other cocktails marrying absinthe with egg white, for example the Swiss Mist in PDT, although that one has gin as the base and absinthe as an accent. It's a very nice way to enjoy absinthe.

Oh, and that made me smile - "I don’t believe in fine straining but if that is how you (the reader) like it I have no objections." So I did not bother double straining.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 19 December 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#526 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Another absinthe-focused sour that I'm quite fond of (and which calls specifically for St. George) is the Peychaud Sour:

1 oz Peychaud's Bitters

1 oz St. George Absinthe

.75 oz Lemon

.5 oz Simple

1 Egg White

Lemon Twist (Garnish)

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour