Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Infusions & Tinctures at Home: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#481 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

that's a 50-70% abv product! Most commercial amari are in the 20%-35% abv range.

I want to try this recipe, but that high abv just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

If 3/4 of the volume contains 3/4 alcohol, then after adding the simple, it would be 9/16 alcohol, or 56% max. I'd find a 112 proof amaro pretty appealing, particularly if not too sweet.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#482 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

That recipe is very similar to one I've made several times and yes, it does come out around 50% ABV after the simple is added.  Very serious stuff, but that doesn't stop it being delicious.  And it improves as it ages.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#483 Travis Jiorle

Travis Jiorle
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

If 3/4 of the volume contains 3/4 alcohol, then after adding the simple, it would be 9/16 alcohol, or 56% max.

Oh, right—that recipe is 1/4 simple syrup!

And if starting with the lower abv base spirit of 50%, the final product's abv would be 37.5%, within the upper range of most commercially available amari in the U.S.

Very serious stuff, but that doesn't stop it being delicious.

Yeah, I think I'll try the higher-fire version first and see what that does.