Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite espresso blend for milk based drinks?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:16 AM

Recognizing that many of us have a preference for milk based espresso drinks.... I'm curious to know what some of you find to be hte most suitable - something that is robust enough to cut through the milk but still retains the appropriate undertones (chocolatey, fruity etc.). I've had some espresso blends (e.g. Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend) that really shine as straight espresso but fall short when used in a latte or cappa. Anything goes - can be your fsavorite comemrcial blend or just list what beans and ratios you use when home blending.

#2 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:02 AM

I would guess that a "sharper" blend and a darker roast work best when the goal is a milk-based drink. This is especially true when you want the coffee flavor to come out in a drink that is mostly milk (i.e., a "latte"). In Italy, latte macchiato is only barely coffee flavored, and it seems less important for the coffee to "cut" through the milk.

Personally, I always tailor my blend and roast at home for espresso, and I am happy with the results when I do milk drinks. I use Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend with around 8% each of their Indian Monsooned Malabar AA and Uganda Robusta "Nanga Farms" added.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#3 MGLloyd

MGLloyd
  • participating member
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:17 AM

Either home-roasted Malabar Gold, which I get from the Coffee Project in LA, or home-roasted Liquid Amber from SM.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington USA