Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Agave Nectar

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

I've got some muffin recipes which call for agave nectar, but don't have access to any (unless I wait for my mother to bring me some in December). From what I've read, for one cup of sugar, one would use 3/4 cup agave nectar. Would it follow, then, that, for example, 1/2 cup agave syrup could be replaced by roughly 2/3 cup sugar?

I'm assuming I may need to increase the moisture in the recipe, as well. Does that seem like a logical thought?

#32 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

When I see agave to sugar conversions its more about the sweetness than baking function. I would convert to honey if the recipe taste allows, or I'd make a simple syrup to equal the liquid amount of the agave.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#33 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

~60ml of additional liquid per 250ml of agave replaced with sucrose works as a good starting point. You may want to play with the leavening as well. Reduce or eliminate baking soda, increase or sub in baking powder. The soda/acidity interaction won't be there with sucrose unless there's something else in the recipe to provide it (sour cream, buttermilk, etc.). I'm usually going the opposite direction with this substitution but it's the same idea, just reversed. Of course you could just eliminate the hassle of adjustments and use honey as Rob suggested.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#34 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have also used it very successfully in ice cream, gelato and ices.

I know it has been a couple of years since the message above was posted. Does anyone know how agave will affect the texture of ice cream, and what the ratio of agave to sugar will be for substitution? I really want to make some ice cream soon, but I am trying to cut back on sugar, and thought agave would be good since it is low on the glycemic index.