Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Buck's Fishing and Camping

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 brr

brr
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

a quick note on Buck's which we ate at on Friday night

We eat here relatively frequently (well, as frequently as $$ permit) as we leave only 2 blocks away and its sooooo convenient

Friday was probably our 8th meal there

I know Carol has a reputation for being 'mercurial' but we just like the way her food tastes and to be honest have always had decent service there

On friday night the place was absolutely hopping - we waited 30 minutes for a table and others were waiting longer

For apps we had the fresh mozzarela w/ her 'famous' home made pesto and beets - top notch, olive oil and balsamic drizzled around the plate adding to the taste - I don't know how she makes the pesto (pistacios?) but its damn good - we also had chicker liver pate on toast - nice, but just makes me wish she'd actually start cooking whole chicken livers so I could pretend I lived in Egypt again!

Mains were two battered, deep fried Georgia softies for me and the shrimp and grits with an andouille-ish sausage for my wife - both excellent - I've had the shrimp dish in the past and its not enough food for me but you can't argue with its flavor - softies were excellent but then again its hard to screw them up

Dessert was a salty oat ice cream cookie sandwich - ice cream had melted a little too much by the time it got to our table and when they said salty cookie, they really meant it - we had wanted the chocolate devils food cake but they were out of it

All in all a nice meal - incl a half bottle of barbera I think it was a shade over $100

#62 Miami Danny

Miami Danny
  • participating member
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:44 PM

All in all a nice meal - incl a half bottle of barbera I think it was a shade over $100

View Post

Just curious, brr. $100 sounds pretty reasonable for 2 apps. 2 entrees, dessert and wine. Were you including tax and tip? Thanks!

#63 brr

brr
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

hmmm, I think the bill was $116 incl tax but not tip - I think we tipped $20 so yes, that pushed it much closer to $150 than $100 so my bad

but also take into account we ordered 2 desserts - a strawberry rhubarb pie to take home to the grandparents/babysitters - given that I didn't taste it I didn't write about it!

View Post

Just curious, brr. $100 sounds pretty reasonable for 2 apps. 2 entrees, dessert and wine. Were you including tax and tip? Thanks!

View Post

#64 Miami Danny

Miami Danny
  • participating member
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

Thank you! Still pretty reasonable.

#65 JennyUptown

JennyUptown
  • participating member
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

Two things keep me from making this one of my frequent "it's in the neighborhood - let's go!" spots.

[Neither is Carole Greenwood]

First, it's slightly pricier than I would ideally spend on a casual meal.

Second, the menu is rather limited. When I was there, I think they offered five entrees total - a pork chop, the signature steak and three seafood dishes.

But it's a cozy little spot and like brr, I was very impressed by the mozzarella with homemade pesto. Really good stuff.

#66 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

Two things keep me from making this one of my frequent "it's in the neighborhood - let's go!" spots.

[Neither is Carole Greenwood]

First, it's slightly pricier than I would ideally spend on a casual meal. 

Second, the menu is rather limited.  When I was there, I think they offered five entrees total - a pork chop, the signature steak and three seafood dishes. 

But it's a cozy little spot and like brr, I was very impressed by the mozzarella with homemade pesto.  Really good stuff.

View Post

I think it's also suffers from the "It's not Palena" syndrome...

I've liked but not loved my meals at Buck's but for the money I spent, I KNOW I would have loved the meal at Palena's...

Man, Frank should just put me on the payroll I'm such a shill for his place.

Jennifer

#67 tomdc

tomdc
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:52 AM

That steak, while terrific, is now $ 38.00 !!! Except for the steak, I usually leave slightly hungry. It is definitely NOT Palena.

#68 brr

brr
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

you're right - the steak is very expensive - everything else is in or around $20 though, right?

That steak, while terrific, is now $ 38.00 !!!  Except for the steak, I usually leave slightly hungry.  It is definitely NOT Palena.

View Post

#69 MCJB2

MCJB2
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:35 AM

It's a shame they keep raising their prices while making portions smaller. When Buck's first opened the prices were supposed to be lower than Greenwood, but now the prices are the same, if not exceeding Greenwood. That $38 steak used to be $29.50. I guess they're not hurting for business so they can get away with charging what they like, but prices are pushing it for a casual meal. It definitely has prevented me from going there as much, and I'm a big fan of Carole's cooking.

#70 Crackers

Crackers
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

Business must be good. They are looking for a chef for a new operation they are planning to open later this summer. Anyone know where/when?

#71 sdelgato

sdelgato
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:46 AM

It's a shame they keep raising their prices while making portions smaller.  When Buck's first opened the prices were supposed to be lower than Greenwood, but now the prices are the same, if not exceeding Greenwood.  That $38 steak used to be $29.50.  I guess they're not hurting for business so they can get away with charging what they like, but prices are pushing it for a casual meal.  It definitely has prevented me from going there as much, and I'm a big fan of Carole's cooking.

View Post

Have you seen wholesale beef prices lately... And I don't mean the shit they sell at Safeway and Giant.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000