Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

French Pastry Shops in Japan

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

A cake shop near my house was having a special sale for their 16th anniversary, all cakes were 250yen ($2.10).
The line was down the street almsot all day long!

We chose these

Posted Image

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#62 lexy

lexy
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

A cake shop near my house was having a special sale for their 16th anniversary, all cakes were 250yen ($2.10).

View Post

How much are they normally - was that a significant discount?
Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

#63 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

View Post

How much are they normally - was that a significant discount?

View Post

Yes it is a pretty good discount as they tend to average about 400 yen a piece.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#64 LordBalthazar

LordBalthazar
  • participating member
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Doing research for my Tokyo trip in December and came across this excellent thread.

Please, tell me the Jiyugaoka Sweet Forest is still open.

LB

This just in - Asahi.com reports that a new "pastry theme park" will open in Jiyugaoka.
Game publisher Namco will open the Jiyugaoka Sweet Forest on Nov. 21. It will feature the pastries of 12 of the best known pastry shops in Japan. The shops have chefs that have won international awards or have apprenticed in Europe.
Admission is free.

http://www.asahi.com...e/1120/011.html (in Japanese)

Cool ...

Some info on this place in English, with a link to their Japanese homepage

http://www.tcvb.or.j...zzling_ind.html

edit:
you need to scroll to the bottom and click on index and then on Pastry theme park

I found a nice article about Jiyugaoka Sweet Forest, with listing of some of the stores and their offerings:

http://metropolis.ja.../508/dining.asp

View Post

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

#65 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

Doing research for my Tokyo trip in December and came across this excellent thread.

LB

View Post

Yes, they are!
Their homepage

I was on the Oimachi line 4 times 2 weeks ago and ever time we passed Jiyugaoka and I saw the sign for Sweets Forest, I kept thinking someday, someday....

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#66 LordBalthazar

LordBalthazar
  • participating member
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:42 AM

Many thanks, Tokakris. This one is at the top of my to-do list when my wife and I come a-visiting.

Oh, and if you do feel like checking it out sometime around early December, let us know...

LB

LB

View Post

Yes, they are!
Their homepage

I was on the Oimachi line 4 times 2 weeks ago and ever time we passed Jiyugaoka and I saw the sign for Sweets Forest, I kept thinking someday, someday....

View Post

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

#67 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

I just recently placed an order for 245 people at a French pastry shop owned by a friend of mine, the next day my friend stopped by with a little thank you present from here shop. :biggrin:

Posted Image

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#68 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

This was one of the most incredible things I have ever eaten! :biggrin:

Posted Image

Sakura Shu-cream (cream puff)

It was a regular cream puff filled with a delicious vanilla custard cream and one dark sweet cherry, it was then dusted with sakura powder and wrapped in a briny leaf. The filling was reminiscent of cherry vanilla ice cream and the sakura powder add the just the perfect accent of sakura while the leaf added the most subtle but perfectly complementary flavor. (I removed the leaf before eating)

I am going to be headed back once a week for this until they are gone....

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#69 Salli Vates

Salli Vates
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

OOOh. I loved La Terre in Shibuya... they had this orange chocolate cake that was the most amazing thing ever. One layer of dark chocolate decorated with a mandarin orange, one layer of orange with little bits of candied orange... oh dear.

#70 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

It was a regular cream puff filled with a delicious vanilla custard cream and one dark sweet cherry, it was then dusted with sakura powder and wrapped in a briny leaf. The filling was reminiscent of cherry vanilla ice cream and the sakura powder add the just the perfect accent of sakura while the leaf added the most subtle but perfectly complementary flavor. (I removed the leaf before eating)

Kristin, this looks fantastic. Could you tell me more about the sakura powder? Is it widely available in Japan, and is it sweetened? Any info would be appreciated.
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#71 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

I had never seen this sakura powder before, so I don't think it is widely available. I wish I could remember more about the powder now but I am pretty sure it wasn't sweetened.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#72 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:11 AM

^^^Thanks for replying, Kristin. I guess I'll have to go hunting around some Japanese pastry sites for this mystery sakura powder.

Edited by sanrensho, 10 May 2007 - 12:11 AM.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#73 shinju

shinju
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Wonder if this is similar to sakura shio and ume shio that was served with tempura while I was in Japan in March. Sakura shio had a nice taste of sakura leaf and ume shio had taste of umeboshi.

#74 shinju

shinju
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

This has me wondering about the taste of sakura. What is it? Not cherry. Taste of preserved sakura leaves and flowers? Has anyone ever preserved leaves or flowers before? It's definately Japanese taste.

#75 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

Can someone tell me why Pierre Herme has a gazillion outlets in Tokyo, yet none in the Kansai area? I was considering ordering some macarons online, but I think they choose the flavours, rather than letting you choose them yourself.

Does anyone know if they'll be opening in Kansai in the future? I tried to find the info on their website, but my reading is limited, so I didn't get very far.

#76 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Can someone tell me why Pierre Herme has a gazillion outlets in Tokyo, yet none in the Kansai area?  I was considering ordering some macarons online, but I think they choose the flavours, rather than letting you choose them yourself. 

Does anyone know if they'll be opening in Kansai in the future?  I tried to find the info on their website, but my reading is limited, so I didn't get very far.

View Post

Apparently there is only one place to get Pierre Herme in Kansai and that is at the Cassina IXC Cafe in Osaka. They definitely have the macaroons but I am not sure what else. Here is some information. The actual website for this place is quite confusing, click here then enter the site (it will open in a new screen) at the bottom click on shop information and then on Osaka. It will give a map to the cafe's location.
I don't think it is too close to you but it is closer than Tokyo!

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#77 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

Apparently there is only one place to get Pierre Herme in Kansai and that is at the Cassina IXC Cafe in Osaka. They definitely have the macaroons but I am not sure what else. Here is some information. The actual website for this place is quite confusing, click here then enter the site (it will open in a new screen) at the bottom click on shop information and then on Osaka. It will give a map to the cafe's location.
I don't think it is too close to you but it is closer than Tokyo!

View Post

Thanks! As luck would have it, I'm going to that area this weekend! I hope my friend doesn't mind going cafe hopping. We were already planning a visit to Ek Chuah that day (chocolate shop/cafe). One can never have too many sweets!

#78 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

My friend and I were at Isetan Shinjuku yesterday, and I picked up some macarons for a taste test (caramel and coffee flavoured). In all I had 5 caramel, and 4 coffee (some places had both, some either or). The contenders were Chez Cima, Henri Le Roux, Jean-Paul Hevin, Pierre Herme, Sadaharu Aoki, and Dalloyau.

The winner in the caramel division was Chez Cima--perfect burnt caramel flavour and nice chewy texture.

The winner in the coffee division was Pierre Herme. Strong coffee flavour, though there was a wee bit more filling than I like.

Of course I couldn't let them go to waste, so I had to finish every last crumb. The test began at 7:00am, and it is now just after 8:00am.

I feel sick...The things I do for my fellow eGulleters!

#79 elfin

elfin
  • participating member
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

We found Baikal pastry shop in Kyoto marvelous. French croissants, eclairs and sticky pecan buns were our favorite. An open kitchen allows visitors to watch them make there famous berry pies-it was apple that day. Will get the address.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

#80 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

We found Baikal pastry shop in Kyoto marvelous.  French croissants, eclairs and sticky pecan buns were our favorite.  An open kitchen  allows visitors to watch them make there famous berry pies-it was apple that day.  Will get the address.

View Post

elfin--do you remember where Baikal was? I'm headed to Kyoto for a day of beauty soon, and what's a day of beauty without sweets?

Has anyone tried the new Laduree Tea Room at Mitsukoshi in Ginza? Opened at the end of July, I read. It's definitely on my list!

Henri Charpentier has a to-die-for salted caramel cake. I have pictures somewhere...And their cafe macaron is very very good. It might even take first place in my coffee macaron taste test. Their caramel comes pretty close to first, as well. I'm going to have to do a side-by-side with Henri Le Roux's, but I'll have to go to Tokyo for the HLR's!

#81 elfin

elfin
  • participating member
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have searched for their card and can not locate it. It is on a major street near a discount liquir/beer wholesaler. I am sorry I can't help you more. Perhaps your conceriege will be able to locate it for you.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

#82 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:18 AM

Baikal

Seems to be all over Kyoto, even one in Isetan basement. Open the link above, and clickety to the left of the photo of their main shop for a map.

#83 nakji

nakji
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

I pass through Yokohama station every Thursday, and the Antenor kiosk there haunts me. I finally got an excuse to buy something there this week, when one of my co-workers booked Shinkansen tickets for me. (W00t - Takayama getaway, here I come!)

She loves Mont Blanc cakes, and Antenor was featuring a sweet potato version, so we had an impromptu Mont Blanc picnic in the office on Friday. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, with the textures of the marron and sweet potato melding perfectly. The mound of sweet potato puree on top was a breathtaking gold colour. Is Antenor a Japanese chain, or is it French? My google turned up only references to Greek mythology.

#84 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

I pass through Yokohama station every Thursday, and the Antenor kiosk there haunts me. I finally got an excuse to buy something there this week, when one of my co-workers booked Shinkansen tickets for me. (W00t - Takayama getaway, here I come!)

She loves Mont Blanc cakes, and Antenor was featuring a sweet potato version, so we had an impromptu Mont Blanc picnic in the office on Friday. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, with the textures of the marron and sweet potato melding perfectly. The mound of sweet potato puree on top was a breathtaking gold colour. Is Antenor a Japanese chain, or is it French? My google turned up only references to Greek mythology.

View Post

It's a Japanese chain based in Kobe. While I haven't tried most of their cakes, I haven't been impressed with the ones I have tried. But I remember they had some cakes/desserts that were served in really nice dishes that you got to keep. I liked that! :biggrin:

#85 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Location:Shiozawa area of Minami Uonuma city, Niigata, Japan

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

View Post

Antenor is アンテノール
Thanks for giving me some laugh. That's exactly what I need right now. :smile:

#86 nakji

nakji
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

It's a Japanese chain based in Kobe. While I haven't tried most of their cakes, I haven't been impressed with the ones I have tried. But I remember they had some cakes/desserts that were served in really nice dishes that you got to keep. I liked that! biggrin.gif

I'll admit their cookies look dry, and the macarons look a little pallid, but their cake selection always looks delicious - maybe because I always see it at lunchtime? I can see serious investigative work here is needed. I volunteer for this difficult task! :biggrin:

Antenor is アンテノール
Thanks for giving me some laugh. That's exactly what I need right now.

Well Hiroyuki, I'm always good for a laugh, if nothing else. I'm going to have to break down and buy a computer in Japan, so I can start typing in the kana.

#87 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

Well Hiroyuki, I'm always good for a laugh, if nothing else. I'm going to have to break down and buy a computer in Japan, so I can start typing in the kana.

View Post

You can do that on an English-language/system computer, too. You just have to adjust the keyboard settings. PM me if you want more details.

Antenor has macarons!? Maybe I'll have to drop by to check them out. I'm still on a quest to find the perfect coffee and caramel macarons, so I need to be fair and eat everyone's!

#88 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

Thanks elfin, for looking, and thanks Helen, for finding the website! When I looked I realized I had been to Baikal before...way back when I first lived in Japan. I'll have to put it on my list of places to re-visit.

Today in Kyoto I visited Patisserie Kanae. She has a lot of interesting macaron flavours--kurogoma, sansho, bamboo charcoal (I can never remember the Japanese word). I bought six--caramel sale, kinako, foret noir (I'm a sucker for black forest anything), sansho, kurogoma, and one more...tarte tatin!

And of course, for comparison's sake I bought a caramel sale from Henri Charpentier (my favourite caramel sale in the Kansai area).

I have pics, but they're on my cell phone. I've only eaten the caramel ones (so I could get a good comparison), but the Patisserie Kanae ones suck! The shells are practically hollow (no chew, just empty crunch), and the filling is very skimpy! Plus the caramel sale tastes just like burnt caramel--not necessarily a bad thing, but there's no salt flavour at all! And it's more expensive!! OK, it's only Y1 more expensive (Y180 to HC's Y179), but still...

Edited by prasantrin, 20 September 2008 - 06:16 AM.

#89 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Chez Copain went bankrupt! Actually, its parent company went bankrupt, taking Chez Copain, Takatora (cream puffs), and Ashiya Gin-nan (ramen shop) along with it.

It was quite a popular shop in the Kobe-area (where it originated). I know they had shops across Japan (including Tokyo).

#90 nakji

nakji
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

There's a Henri Charpentier located (dangerously) close to my office in Yokohama. I walked by their Spring line last week with my husband, and we couldn't resist picking up a couple cakes.

My husband selected IIRC the "Fromage Maniee"
Posted Image

This had a layer of cheesecake, topped with a cheese mousse, sultanas, and a cheese-shaped accent in white chocolate. Sometimes I don't like mousse-based cakes, because I feel like I'm eating Gillette. I did not get this feeling with this cake.

I had to have chocolate:
Posted Image

A layer of dense chocolate cake with - perhaps praline? It crunched, in a sugary way. A layer of thick salted caramel, chocolate mousse, and thinly sprayed ganache. The "caramel" on the top is actually salted caramel mousse enrobed in caramel jelly-like ganache. I'm not sure what you'd call it. It was flexible like jelly, but tasted like ganache.

I'm going back tomorrow.