Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

French Pastry Shops in Japan

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:56 PM

Terebi champion is a great show and a couple years back it seemed to be mostly about food where nowadays it seems to be more focused on crafts.
I watch almost all of the episodes about food and am astounded by the knowledge these people have, but there has got to be soem kind of prep before the show because with all of the pastry shops in tokyo there is just no way they can taste a bit of cream and no where it came from.
Back in April, egullet member BON won the crown of the Tsukiji fish market challlenge, here is the thread:

http://forums.egulle...showtopic=19447

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#32 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:13 PM

This just in - Asahi.com reports that a new "pastry theme park" will open in Jiyugaoka.
Game publisher Namco will open the Jiyugaoka Sweet Forest on Nov. 21. It will feature the pastries of 12 of the best known pastry shops in Japan. The shops have chefs that have won international awards or have apprenticed in Europe.
Admission is free.

http://www.asahi.com...e/1120/011.html (in Japanese)

Cool ...

Some info on this place in English, with a link to their Japanese homepage

http://www.tcvb.or.j...zzling_ind.html

edit:
you need to scroll to the bottom and click on index and then on Pastry theme park

I found a nice article about Jiyugaoka Sweet Forest, with listing of some of the stores and their offerings:

http://metropolis.ja.../508/dining.asp

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#33 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

Here is a list of some of the French style pastry shops in Tokyo (in Japanese) but with links to all of the shops:

http://home.att.ne.j.../feelparis.html

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#34 ComeUndone

ComeUndone
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

After 10 months of procrastination, I'm finally able to put into words some of my Japan travel experience. To give my travelogue a little focus, I concentrate on the french-style pastries that I indulged in Tokyo. I will add more entries to this thread as I go.

Part 1: Advice on planning your own tour, Lenotre, Namco Namja Town, Pierre Herme, Theobroma
Candy Wong
"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

#35 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:31 AM

That was fascinating reading, thanks!

#36 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:06 AM

I really enjoyed it, too! But man, that "to be continued" at the bottom was a real bummer. :angry: I was scrolling down for more!

#37 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

please write more!!

and lots of pictures please. :biggrin:

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#38 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

I look forward to the next report. More pictures, please, the bigger the better.

Also, did you find the European cakes/pastries to be generally sweeter or less sweet than what you had in Paris?
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#39 ComeUndone

ComeUndone
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:51 AM

The second part of my Tokyo Sweets Tour is completed.

Part 2: a tes souhaits!, Le Coeur Pur, Paris S'eveille, Mont St. Clair, Le Souffle, Cuoca

Enjoy!
Candy Wong

#40 ComeUndone

ComeUndone
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:55 AM

I look forward to the next report. More pictures, please, the bigger the better.

Also, did you find the European cakes/pastries to be generally sweeter or less sweet than what you had in Paris?

View Post

I would say as far as sweetness was concern, they were about the same (except for products from Pierre Herme which was considerably sweeter). However, most pastries in Japan had a characteristic lightness.
Candy Wong

#41 dornachu

dornachu
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

I'm dying to try le souffle. You mentioned that there are other branches with more flavor, do you know where they are? i try goggling with no luck. Thanks!

#42 ComeUndone

ComeUndone
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'm dying to try le souffle.  You mentioned that there are other branches with more flavor, do you know where they are? i try goggling with no luck. Thanks!

View Post

This is a link to their Jiyugaoka Sweets Forest location.

This is a link to a review of their Nishi-Azabu main store in English. Not much was writen about their souffle though.

Alternatively, you can search for "ル スフレ 広尾" in http://www.yahoo.co.jp to turn up a whole bunch of reviews in Japanese.

Address, map, phone number, etc are available as well.

Edited by ComeUndone, 19 October 2005 - 09:03 PM.

Candy Wong

#43 cbarre02

cbarre02
  • participating member
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

I will be going to Tokyo, Mito, Kyoto, and osaka leaving december 12. I want to try as many japanese sweets as possible when i am there. Can you help me make a list.
Cory Barrett
Pastry Chef

#44 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

definitely daifuku!! :biggrin:

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#45 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

In terms of Western pastry, an excellent blog is discussed here. You might even get in touch with the author about where she got her leads and if she has any other recommendations.
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#46 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:54 PM

When you're in Kyoto, be sure to try Yatsuhashi senbei, a traditional Kyoto specialty. They're thin cookies made of rice flour flavored with cinnamon. The fresh ("nama") ones are usually folded and filled like turnovers. The dry ones are shaped like curved roof tiles and make a great souvenier.

I'm not even sure of the name of the most famous brand, but its homepage can be seen at Yatsuhashi.

You can even tour a cookie factory and try your hand at making them.

Edited by SuzySushi, 13 November 2005 - 02:55 PM.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#47 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

When you're in Kyoto, be sure to try Yatsuhashi senbei, a traditional Kyoto specialty. They're thin cookies made of rice flour flavored with cinnamon. The fresh ("nama") ones are usually folded and filled like turnovers. The dry ones are shaped like curved roof tiles and make a great souvenier.

I'm not even sure of the name of the most famous brand, but its homepage can be seen at Yatsuhashi.

View Post

A friend brought some of dry ones back; I believe they were a green tea flavor, dipped in perhaps a white chocolate. Very, very good. I wish I could get them here.

#48 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

Are you looking specifically for Japanese sweets, or any kind of sweets/pastry found in Japan?

If the later, I find Japanese chiffon cakes far surpass US-style chiffon cakes in terms of texture. Light and fluffy, that's how I like them. You can get them in any depachika by the slice.

Of French-style cakes, I like the ones by Henri Charpentier and also by Gramercy New York--in Osaka both can be found in the depachika of Hankyu Department Store in Umeda. I have pics of a couple that I planned to post to the dessert thread. Beautiful and delicious to boot!

Also, I quite like Comme ca du/de? Mode Cafe's fruit tarts. They have huge slices, and use fresh fruit. Thus, many of their tarts are seasonal (fig, mango, nashi, for example). There's one right between JR Osaka and Hankyu Umeda Stations in the same building as Yodobashi Camera (if you need company, I'd be happy to join you!).

As for Japanese sweets, I much prefer nama-yatsuhashi over the baked kind (which to me, is sort of like eating hard paste). Ichigo daifuku is sublime, especially if you can get some from the Nagasaki-area. In Kyoto, there are quite a few traditional Japanese sweets shops--there's one in Gion, right on Shijo-dori where you can get matcha and wagashi. I really like rakugan--a sort of candy, often served with matcha--made from a special kind of sugar, it melts in your mouth. And I like suhama--made from kinako, I think, it's a chewy candy-like thing. In the basement of the Takashimaya Dept. store in Kyoto, there's a shop that specializes in them.

I can't think of anymore off-hand. I had a manju today, of which the cakey-outer part was made with some mochiko, I think, because it was a bit chewy in texture. Also from Kyoto...(i.e. go to Kyoto for all the best Japanese-style sweets).

Edited by prasantrin, 14 November 2005 - 05:04 AM.

#49 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

I've never been to Japan, but a guy I dated is there now for work, and sends me pictures of the pastries he's eaten. They look delicious (and he says they taste as good as they look. :smile: )

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

View Post

I love those things! I used to be able to get them in Seattle, but I haven't found a store that carries them here.

I actually just got back from a week in Tokyo a couple weeks ago (yeah, it's taking me a long time to get my pictures together and write up a post about the trip). I'm not a big fan of traditional Japanese sweets. I find them usually too sweet and pasty while lacking in flavor - at least what I've tried. However, I think there are actually more French style pastry shops in Tokyo now than in Paris.

While you're there, DO go to Kappabashi-dori in the Asakusa area of Tokyo. It's blocks and blocks of restaurant supply stores with everything from furniture and dishes to plastic display food, including a number of pastry equipment shops with great prices on many items. You'll find tools for western and traditional Japanese cooking. There are also several large bookstores in the major shopping areas that are worth checking out for food magazines and books - though they'll all be in Japanese, of course, it's often worth buying for the photos alone.

However, I have to say, don't bother making the trek to Jyugaoka Sweets Forest, the pastry theme park near Tokyo. It's cute, but there's much better pastry to be had in the city.

#51 NickLam

NickLam
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime in April to look for ideas and inspiration for our chocolate business in Bangkok and was hoping to get some advice on places worth visiting.

Purpose of visit:

(1) Dessert/Pastry ideas (Both eastern and western or anywhere else!)
(2) Presentation ideas
(3) Interior design and architecture ideas
(4) New trends and fusions

To date, I'll be defo visiting La Maison du chocolat, Toraya, Meiji Chocolate Cafe, Mont St Clair (Hironobu Tsujiguchi), Hidemi Sugino's Patisserie, Pierre Herme and Shunju.

Any other good recommendations on places to visit whilst I'm there?

Thanks!

#52 tokyogurumegal

tokyogurumegal
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

I think you have a great list there. Instead of just targeting specific stores, you should walk around certain areas that are known for socialite hangouts! La Maison du Chocolat is located on Omotesando and that strip has several nice cafes but try and go to the small side streets, you'll find "gems" you will never expect to be there. Also very close to Omotesando is Aoyama area. There are TONS of stylish places that would probably inspire you. If you're limited with time and you want to see lots of desserts from various reputable patisseries I would suggest going to depachika (basement level of department stores). You'll find local favourites, internationally renouned names will also pop up (Lenotre, Hediard etc...).
ahh where's the button for the fries?

#53 robyn

robyn
  • legacy participant
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime in April to look for ideas and inspiration for our chocolate business in Bangkok and was hoping to get some advice on places worth visiting.

Purpose of visit:

(1) Dessert/Pastry ideas (Both eastern and western or anywhere else!)
(2) Presentation ideas
(3) Interior design and architecture ideas
(4) New trends and fusions

To date, I'll be defo visiting La Maison du chocolat, Toraya, Meiji Chocolate Cafe, Mont St Clair (Hironobu Tsujiguchi), Hidemi Sugino's Patisserie, Pierre Herme and Shunju.

Any other good recommendations on places to visit whilst I'm there?

Thanks!

View Post

We'll be in Japan in April too - and chocolate is high on my list of activities as well. Could I volunteer to be one of your tasters :smile: ? If you need to calibrate my palate :smile: - my favorite is Maison du Chocolate (which I have to order on line and have delivered by fedex to my house). I've never tried many other high end brands - like Pierre Herme - but am looking forward to it :biggrin: .

Would you be so kind as to tell me the sections of Tokyo where these places are located (or if they're in a city other than Tokyo). No need for the precise address - I will ask the concierge for maps if we'll be in those parts of the city.

Also - here's an article in Gridskipper you might find interesting.

If you're interested in design - you might take a look at Mocoloco. I've not used the Tokyo part of the website before - but I have used other parts in other cities and found some interesting things. Gridskipper also has some interesting design commentary. If I run across anything else - I will let you know (I've been spending time doing more mundane trip planning - like figuring out how to get an ATM card that works in Japan!).

There seems to be some interesting contemporary architecture in Tokyo - but some of it - like Omotesando Hills - has not received very favorable reviews. Guess there's only so much you can do with a shopping mall even if you're a famous architect.

By the way - if you will be alone - and would like some company to pound a lot of pavement and explore these things - please PM or email me. We will be in Tokyo 4/12-4/18. Robyn

#54 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

Here are some previous threads you might want to take a look at

French Pastry Shops in Japan

Western Style Sweets

What Desserts must I Try?

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#55 ComeUndone

ComeUndone
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

You may find the following thread useful as well:

Tokyo Sweets Tour
Candy Wong

#56 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Location:Shiozawa area of Minami Uonuma city, Niigata, Japan

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:37 AM

I don't have much to contribute to this thread, but I'd like to post links to
Ranking list of chocolate shops in Toyko (3 pages in total) and
A guide to chocolate shops in Tokyo
Sorry, both are in Japanese only.

#57 NickLam

NickLam
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

Thanks everyone!

I dunno how you guys can come up with such gems of links using the search option....I always get generic responses whilst doing the search!

Anyway, Robyn, I will give you the addresses of the few that I'm going to in a bit.

Just finished a mad day of equipment shopping in Singapore and will give you the addresses later when I'm back in Bangkok.

Cheers!

#58 LordBalthazar

LordBalthazar
  • participating member
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

Crazy as it sounds, whenever I go to Tokyo and have a hankering for artisan chocolates and top-quality desserts, I visit the basement level of the Ginza Mitsukoshi. I have never seen so many incredible sweets, chocolates, and pastries in one enormous area, everything from delicate French macarons to hardcrafted artisan chocolates.

Check it out.
www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

#59 NickLam

NickLam
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

Ok, here are the addresses of a few good places and their websites.

Hidemi Sugino's Patisserie - 3-6-17 Kyobashi, Chuo-ku (Daiei Building near the bridge.....should be near Kyobashi bridge, not Nihonbashi bridge!) tel: 03-3538-6780

Toraya - http://www.toraya-gr...hops/index.html

Pierre Herme - 1st floor, Laporte Aoyama, 5-51-8, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku....there's no map on Laporte's website, but its near omotesando! Pretty big building so should be quite easy to find!

Mont St Clair - Translated from the website on babelfish, http://www.ms-clair.co.jp/

Address:The Tokyo Meguro Ku freedom the hill 2-22-4 business 11:00 - 19:00 fixed holiday every week Wednesday, 3rd Tuesday

Shunju: http://www.shunju.com/ja/restaurants/ Do a translate on babel fish to get the one closest to you. The original Shunju is pretty far out. Was supposed to go for Xmas dinner there last year.......but my ex broke up with me :( Peeved me off....coz I was really looking forward to looking at the designs there!

Meiji 100% chocoalte cafe: http://open.meiji.co...-cafe/shop.html

The address ison the website and more importantly....the only website with a map! If you have a Japanese mobile, you can just send a skymail to a service using the shop's landline and you will get a map sent to you to guide you there. Ahahah was banking on using that service coz I got a Japanese phone.....so......all the best in finding the place!

And Robyn, if I'm there same time as you, will defo make arrangements to meet up. However.....my plans have taken a swing for the worst.....late April, Food Hotel Asia in Singapore.....before that, Commodities Fair in Guangzhou. Will make it to Japan, but have to work around those fairs.

Cheers!

#60 robyn

robyn
  • legacy participant
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Thanks very much NickLam. And if you are in Tokyo when we are there - get in touch. Robyn