Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Clay Cookware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 09:21 AM

Paula-
I just read your interesting short article "The Clay Pot Collector" in the latest issue of Food and Wine. That Cypriot bread and Lamb and Prune stew are on my to-do list.

which one of these pots has the most cherished memory associated with it and why?

How do you take care of the clay pots that you do use? Are they to be seasoned or are they just washed and dried?

Unfortunatly, I do not have a clay pot to bake the above bread in. Can I use a glassware baking dish? or am I better off just baking on a stone?

Thanks for sharing,
Elie Nassar

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:25 PM

Each pot has its own seasoning requirement. Tagines should be seasoned, but a Romertopf simply needs to be soaked. I've found that the more times you use clay pots the better they'll cook. If they're unglazed, clean them with a scrub brush and baking soda (not soap). Also soak overnight in water if there's a lot of debris on the pot.

Sure, you can bake the bread anyway you wish, but baking bread in a Romertopf will be a revelation...unless, of course, you already have a HearthKit or baker's oven at home.

As for each pot telling a story,..the stories behind the two recipes you mention are too long to tell here. But the story of the pot I cooked it in is in the piece -- it's the pot fromthe alleys of Marrakech.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.