Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Imitation vanilla extract

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:07 AM

So, should we bring up the heritage of Germany? The fine cuisine, the treatment of humankind, etc...

i dont want to be in a position to judge on how german cuisine really is..
i certainly have my doubts on that... even in big cities as cologne you will have a hard time
to find a good place 4 dinner... :sad:

but

most "good" regional cuisine chefs (as there ist nothing like a "german" cuisine)
have a great tradition to use fresh "season" ingredients and dont try
to do asparagus and strawberry in winter... also the ingredients come from the region
to keep the miles on the actual product down, which is not only ecological but also
qualitywise good...

the treatment of humankind is pretty good in germany these days... if you payed attention
to your teacher in school you might have noticed that has been so for moren than 50 years..
treatment of human kind is but something that the US really cant impute during the last year...
torturing and keeping prisoners in an unhuman way during the iraq war is something the US
was blamed even by organisiations like amnesty international.... :wink: :wink:
besides my opinion on your president is that he is not elected correctly and a fucking lunatic too !!! :biggrin:

you have never been to germany anyway, and if your opinion is really what you wrote
you shouldnt bother us with your attendence... :wink:

cheers

t.

Edited by schneich, 16 October 2003 - 05:08 AM.

toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#62 beans

beans
  • legacy participant
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:05 PM

So, should we bring up the heritage of Germany? The fine cuisine, the treatment of humankind, etc...

i dont want to be in a position to judge on how german cuisine really is..
i certainly have my doubts on that... even in big cities as cologne you will have a hard time
to find a good place 4 dinner... :sad:

but

most "good" regional cuisine chefs (as there ist nothing like a "german" cuisine)
have a great tradition to use fresh "season" ingredients and dont try
to do asparagus and strawberry in winter... also the ingredients come from the region
to keep the miles on the actual product down, which is not only ecological but also
qualitywise good...

the treatment of humankind is pretty good in germany these days... if you payed attention
to your teacher in school you might have noticed that has been so for moren than 50 years..
treatment of human kind is but something that the US really cant impute during the last year...
torturing and keeping prisoners in an unhuman way during the iraq war is something the US
was blamed even by organisiations like amnesty international.... :wink: :wink:
besides my opinion on your president is that he is not elected correctly and a fucking lunatic too !!! :biggrin:

you have never been to germany anyway, and if your opinion is really what you wrote
you shouldnt bother us with your attendence... :wink:

cheers

t.

egads....

OKAY!

What the heck does what I've quoted have any shred of interest to the topic of VANILLA KarenS and schneich?! :angry:

I got a good look at the recent price of the everyday Neilsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon variety. My eye's popped out of my head with the $11.00 figure on a cutsy, cut out, flourescent sign. Thank heavens I have a fairly decent stock, a nice gift of some lovely quality whole beans and some left over vodka, not of my exact preference, left over from a recent party within the household de beans!

#63 excelsior

excelsior
  • participating member
  • 18 posts
  • Location:on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontarion in western NY

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:55 PM

When I make mazetta I put in a sniff of vanilla. One time after making it I thought it had an off flavor. I was perplexed. After complaining about the "wasted time" and that I'd have to "make it again" my wife confessed that she "refilled" the vanilla bottle with "immitation vanilla." Well, I remade it with real vanilla and it was delicious!

It may be that if something goes in the oven with scads of other ingredients I might not be able to tell the diff. But with plain old mazetta, I thought immitation tasted nasty when I didn't even know I used the immitation...that's a pretty blind test n'est pas?

suffer the politics.... I thought this was about pastry & baking

Edited by excelsior, 19 November 2003 - 09:15 PM.

#64 Comfort Me

Comfort Me
  • participating member
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 11:01 AM

I take great pride in the product of my kitchens. I like to use products which are fresh, natural, and unprocessed.

That said, I will admit to having a quart bottle of this wonderful quasi-vanilla that I picked up at E & S Sales in Shipshewana, Indiana -- think Trader Joe's for the Amish -- it's where I stock my baking patry, but that's a whole other thread. Anyway, this product is a blend of real vanilla and imitation, and I use it in almost everything. I use the vanilla paste in custards and butter cookies and whipped cream.

Prices for vanilla have just gone through the roof. It was getting so I was spending $30 a month on vanilla for a while. So I too did a side by side, blind taste test -- only I did it with pastry cream. I had three friends, blindfolded so they couldn't look for seeds, taste the pastry cream and 1 out of the three liked the artificial blend best and two couldn't tell a difference. For the sake of full disclosure, I had them blind test me, and I thought they gave me two spoons of the same custard.

So I'm not going to feel bad about economizing. It means I can spend more money where it will make a difference.
Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

#65 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 11:25 AM

...So I'm not going to feel bad about economizing.  It means I can spend more money where it will make a difference.

Now you tell me! :shock: I just paid $5.00 (Cdn) for 46ml of pure vanilla extract! I can buy cognac cheaper! :biggrin:
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog