Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Recommendations for aspiring writers?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 04:29 PM

We recently had a fabulous eGCI class on food writing by David Leite. It mostly covered the business as far as getting into publications are concerned. Do you have any recommendations for the aspiring food writer that is well underway with a book?

Nay, I'm not published enough to warrant an agent. Would working on journal or magazine publications first be an easier "in" to the publishing industry?

We are thrilled that you are here and so accessible to us

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:01 PM

Thanks, Caroline. I actually think David Leite's forum was so good and complete, I would have very little to add. Publication in newspapers and/or magazines is certainly an excellent entree, but I think the key to being published in book form is a good strong original idea framed in a consise well-written proposal accompanying samples of recipes or stories.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.