Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baking with Silicone Molds

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 pax

pax
  • participating member
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

I'm not a pro, but for what my fix is worth, I keep them inside similarly shaped metal baking equipment, otherwise I find that they get warpy.
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

#62 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

I have a problem I don't see addressed on this thread that I'm hoping you can help with. I just got the mini Bordelais mold for baking little pound cakes in. I'm using 5/8 oz of batter to get the height I want and they are baking unevenly. The center row rises straight up and down but the outside rows rise higher towards the center of the pan. How can I fix this? I tip them upside-down to serve and 2/3's of them sit crooked. I tried putting it in a 9x13 cake pan to see if the higher edges of the pan would help but it didn't. Any ideas?

edited to add: I'm recipe testing at the moment so I'm using my conventional oven at home. Would this problem be corrected or less obvious in a commercial convection?

Edited by CanadianBakin', 18 September 2009 - 05:11 PM.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#63 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

Just bumping this up because I need your help :)
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#64 brokenscale

brokenscale
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

a while back i saw some really unique modern silicone cake molds. They were european. I really want to buy some but for the life of me i cant remember the name of the company, im pretty sure it started with an s. Any help or reccomendations would be great.

Omar

#65 dougal

dougal
  • participating member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:55 AM

Started with an S ... ? Silform? Silicon Flex?
However, I think Elastomoule and Flexipan are the big names.

Anyway, here's a French toyshop (in English) with a vast range http://www.cuisine-f...cone/index.html
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

#66 ejw50

ejw50
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

silikomart?

Like these?
http://shopchefrubbe...me.php?cat=1433

Edited by ejw50, 14 May 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#67 brokenscale

brokenscale
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Talk about being way off i found them...they are italian and it starts with a p. I ordered my molds today. If anyone is interested in looking at them they are amazing http://www.pavonital...asp?language=en

#68 J.Stevens

J.Stevens
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

siliconemolds.com has a few good ones for real cheap !!!
"None, but people of strong passion are capable of rising to greatness."

#69 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Talk about being way off i found them...they are italian and it starts with a p. I ordered my molds today. If anyone is interested in looking at them they are amazing http://www.pavonital...asp?language=en

They do have some beautiful shapes! How is the pricing?

#70 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have these lovely silcone bordelais molds that I bake lemon pound cake in. It gives the effect of a mini bundt.
If I remember correctly, the first couple times I used them they popped out fine but now I always have to freeze them first. This isn't very efficient and I'm wondering if this is common or does anyone have suggestions?
The other problem is that the center ones rise evenly but the outside ones all rise higher towards the center of the pan and then I have to even them off individually. Again, another waste of time.

#71 brokenscale

brokenscale
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

i ordered them from a reseller, what killed me was the shipping. The molds themselves were very reasonable

#72 Ibake

Ibake
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

Demarle out of France, catalog is on line
Eat dessert first, after all, life is uncertain!

#73 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:52 AM

Ouch!

Not cheap, that's for sure, but beautiful. Before I saw the pries, I thought they'd be nice to have for my mango pudding, but for home use, they're a bit too much.

#74 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have a problem I don't see addressed on this thread that I'm hoping you can help with. I just got the mini Bordelais mold for baking little pound cakes in. I'm using 5/8 oz of batter to get the height I want and they are baking unevenly. The center row rises straight up and down but the outside rows rise higher towards the center of the pan. How can I fix this? I tip them upside-down to serve and 2/3's of them sit crooked. I tried putting it in a 9x13 cake pan to see if the higher edges of the pan would help but it didn't. Any ideas?

edited to add: I'm recipe testing at the moment so I'm using my conventional oven at home. Would this problem be corrected or less obvious in a commercial convection?

Canadian Bakin', what is your batter consistency like? If it's stiff enough to play with it a bit before you put the molds in the oven, you can try pushing it towards the edges of the molds - this seems to help me when I've got something that tends to dome (some of my cake recipes are terrible for doming, and I end up having to cut the tops off the cake before I can layer them... Meh, it's another story entirely.)

The other thing you can try is reducing your leavening a bit and then filling the molds a bit more than you currently are, say 2/3 - this will slow your rise and should help eliminate doming.

If you're seeing uneven rising, it might be as a result of your oven. Or, it might be the pan you're using to support your molds (I'm assuming you use a cookie sheet or something similar). If your oven rack permits, try doing away with the base pan - if it's part of the problem, it's because it's causing an uneven distribution of heat across the silicone - which would make sense if you're seeing the most warp in the edges of the mold.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense, 27 April 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#75 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Question from a silicone newbie.

I just purchased my first silicone mold, from Paderno, a "Dolce Stampi" mold with 16 oval shaped wells. I wanted that partular size/shape, and silicone was the only one I could find. My questions:

1. Should I put the mold on a cookie sheet for filling and baking?
2. Any adjustments to make in temperature?
3. Can it go in the dishwasher?

I bought the thing because I want to make gluten-free pigs in a blanket, and the wells are the right size and shape. Gluten free breads, in my limited experience, are not thick enough to work like a dough and wrap the sausage, so my plan is to layer batter, sausage, batter. They're probably the only use the pan will get.
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#76 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Question from a silicone newbie.

I just purchased my first silicone mold, from Paderno, a "Dolce Stampi" mold with 16 oval shaped wells. I wanted that partular size/shape, and silicone was the only one I could find. My questions:

1. Should I put the mold on a cookie sheet for filling and baking?
2. Any adjustments to make in temperature?
3. Can it go in the dishwasher?

I bought the thing because I want to make gluten-free pigs in a blanket, and the wells are the right size and shape. Gluten free breads, in my limited experience, are not thick enough to work like a dough and wrap the sausage, so my plan is to layer batter, sausage, batter. They're probably the only use the pan will get.

Kay, I have a silicone cannele pan. I feel its mandatory to put it on a sheet pan for filling and baking; it would sploosh batter all over if I tried to move it without the rigid sheet underneath. If you're not using it for a liquidy-batter application, it may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

I haven't needed to adjust time/temp for the canneles, but the recipe I use (Jacques Pepin's) was written for the silicone molds. I think good rule of thumb for any new bakeware is to keep a close eye the first couple of times you use it, to see how it's going to work in your oven.

The instruction sheet for mine said no dishwasher.

Hope that helps.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#77 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

It is easy to make your own custom mold.

Just get food grade silicone molding rubber.

dcarch

#78 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I was just given a 9" diameter silicon cake mold shaped to produce a rose.
Its sagged to a narrow oval shape. Will it be harmed if I set it inside a metal ring to keep it round during baking?
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.