Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Q&A -- Sourdough Bread

Bread

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#181 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

Shalmanese: Looks good. The wetter the dough the bigger the holes in the crumb. You might find a little oil on your hands and workbench instead of flour will let you work with these wet doughs.

AndrewB: If its fermentable, that is if it has starch in it, then you could make a sour ferment from it. However none of the alternatives you mention have any gluten in them to give structure to the loaf. You can make gluten free loaves, but they usually involve something like Xanathan gum to replace the gluten, as are not terribly satisfactory.

#182 aliénor

aliénor
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

i have been making the sourdough bread since my starter arrived from jackal10. i have also sent it out to my son in california and he just loves working with the sourdough. bur recently my husband has noticed and i agree with him that the bread seems to have lost its sourness. is there anything i can do to perk it up a bit. the starter seems to be still growing well and the bread is rising well enough but it is the old flavor that we are missing. does anyone have any suggestions??
thanks for the help.

#183 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

The starter will evolve over time depending ob your local flour and conditions.
The sourness is also quite temperature sensitive

For sour, here are some things you can try
a) ferment hotter (30C)
b) ferment cooler (10C for longer or overnight in the fridge)
c) ferment out the sponge step more (probably the easiest)
d) Refresh the starter, letting it ferment out more between feedings

#184 harrygrey382

harrygrey382
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hi,
I'm pretty much new to sourdough, and almost new to baking in general.
I made myself a working a starter, and followed the instructions on the 1st page very closely. Everything went according to plan and as it was predictated until I got it out of the banneton:
it flopped down a bit onto the baking tray, then when I took it out of the oven, it hadn't risen up much, just out sideways. So I was left with a very low profile lofe - flat even. It tasted very good, sour. It had lots of air bubbles in it (wans't too dense) and the crust was how I like it (thin - I used the water method).
So, how do I keep it from flowing sideays in the oven (it is an electric oven at 230C). Did I over proof it or something. I think the starter is working ok, it rose wuite a bit in the fridge over night...
Also, what's the accepted method for stopping the dough sticking to the banneton cloth, I used flour and it was ok?

#185 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:10 AM

Flour is good to stop it sticking to the banneton cloth.
Flour with low gluten such as rice flour or semolina is even better, but traditionalists use the flour the dough was made with.
Don't wash the banneton cloth unless its moldy; instead put in a low oven to dry out. Over time it will build up a non-stick layer.

Several ways of not getting too flat a loaf.
a) Use a stiffer dough. Sourdough gets looser the longer proves, as th acid attacks the starch.
b) Don't give it time. Work quickly from turning the dough out to getting it into a hot oven.
Handle the dough gently as its very fragile at this stage. Don't drop it from a height or you will deflate it and knock the gas out.
c) Don't use a baking tray as you want to maximise heat transfer to the loaf. Use a layer of tiles or bricks in the oven and pre-heat them, then put the dough directly on them. SOme drop the dough from the banneton directly onto the cooking surface.
d) In a domestic oven what works brilliantly is to use a large cast iron casserole, like a Le Crueset, or the like, pre heat it hot and put the dough directly in it, and put the lid on for the first half of the bake. This simulates the hot steamy atmosphere of a bread oven.
e) Don't over proof. My sourdough takes 4 hours from mixing to baking at room temperature, or 2 hours bulk then overnight in the fridge in the banneton. Bake from cold - cold dough is much stiffer and easier to handle

Edited by jackal10, 09 November 2007 - 03:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread