Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Competition: Round Ten

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:03 PM

Before I start shamelessly mining the excellent Smackdown Topics you submitted in the "Writer's Block Party" round, I thought this might be an amusing In Crowd assignment. (So did Fat Guy; in fact, he suggested it.)

Write a paragraph or two of a literary conceit of your choice, sprinkling eGullet aliases as cleverly and frequently as possible. It won't be too hard to sprinkle more cleverly and frequently than I have below:

The col klinked his glass against mine as I sat among his guests at the al fresco fete celebrating the premiere of Godzilla369, his latest sequel to the Japanese horror classic. The stars peeked out over the Hollywood Hills. "Quella stella bella! " I mused, slipping into freshman Italian, as is my wont after three martinis. (I never want oliver twist—a simple skewer of garlic, per favore.)

We drank under the stars as the great Director complained about his servant problems. He collared the screenwriter and sobbed on his shoulder. "Dave, the Cook quit yesterday! And remember the butler from Wyoming? He quit. The Montana butler quit too!"

He patted my knee, skirting the hem of my Versace frock. "Be a lamb," he whispered in my ear. "Go whip up some of your famous apple pandowdy."

I adjusted my Harry Winston tiara, and fixed him with my basilisk gaze. "That story in The Inquirer was a tissue of lies. This Leading Lady can't cook!" I pointed to the George Clooney lookalike lounging against the bar. "Go ask your Leading Man. Gordon Cooks!."

-----------------

My apologies to all whose names I've taken in vain. Deadline? Midnight, Saturday September 13th, in a time zone of your choice.

And yes, I finally straightened out the numbering.

Please don't post your entries on this thread. Post them here!

Edited by maggiethecat, 04 September 2003 - 02:18 PM.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#2 lamb

lamb
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:48 AM

Is it too late to Trademark my screen name?

:biggrin:

#3 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:07 PM

Hey, give it a try! (I think Lambchop's taken.)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#4 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:56 PM

Ha. I can never be infamous now. I used a concoction based on my own real name instead of some clever alias like "tommy"! And my name doesn't sound like anything else. Oh the pain!

Nevertheless I will have fun with this one. :wink:
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#5 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:16 AM

Nevertheless I will have fun with this one.  :wink:

That was my intention, Jon. Go for it.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel