Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Popovers!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

And this is what you'll get, using popover dough to make pizza. Not bad actually.

Interesting the dish shape happened naturally.

dcarch

popoverpizza2.jpg

popoverpizza3.jpg

So you poured the batter in a shallow bowl...cooked it a bit and then topped it ?

• judiu, gfweb and Shel_B like this

#92 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

I made popover dough, poured in a 14" frying pan and baked.

The flat dough started to "climb" the curved side of the pan as it was being baked and formed the interesting shape in the picture.

Then I put all the stuff on it and baked until the cheese melted.

dcarch

• judiu and rotuts like this

#93 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Rosemary-Olive Oil Popovers:  I was wondering if extra virgin olive oil would be an acceptable replacement for butter (or shortening) as the fat to mix into the popover batter.  I'd like to make a rosemary-olive oil infused popover.  America's Test Kitchen, or maybe Cook's Illustrated, suggested that using full fat milk may inhibit the rise in their popovers because the milk was "too heavy" with fat.  Might rosemary infused olive oil have that same effect? 

Also, since popovers depend, at least in part, on steam (as I understand it) to give them their rise, would a higher fat butter, which has less water than a typical American supermarket butter, inhibit rising to some degree?

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B, 21 January 2014 - 09:22 AM.

.... Shel

#94 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I thought I'd bump this up and see if I can get an answer to the question:

Rosemary-Olive Oil Popovers:  I was wondering if extra virgin olive oil would be an acceptable replacement for butter (or shortening) as the fat to mix into the popover batter.  I'd like to make a rosemary-olive oil infused popover.  America's Test Kitchen, or maybe Cook's Illustrated, suggested that using full fat milk may inhibit the rise in their popovers because the milk was "too heavy" with fat.  Might rosemary infused olive oil have that same effect? 

Also, since popovers depend, at least in part, on steam (as I understand it) to give them their rise, would a higher fat butter, which has less water than a typical American supermarket butter, inhibit rising to some degree?

Thanks!

Finally, since CI suggests that full-fat milk may inhibit rising, how might a non-fat milk work?  Would it be an OK choice for popovers, or is some milk fat necessary to make the recipe(s) work?  Since there's fat in the butter or shortening, it would seem that non-fat milk could work.  Could the lack of milk fat in non-fat milk be somehow compensated by using a butter with a higher butterfat percentage? 

.... Shel