Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities"

• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#511 billieboy

billieboy
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

Would like to have a beer with:

Mario Batali
Morimoto

Would like to have a midnight snack with

Nigella Lawson

Would like to kill!!!

Those idiots on Food Jammers
The sureal ass

Edited for spelink :laugh:

Edited by billieboy, 08 January 2009 - 12:50 PM.

#512 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Likes (in no particular order):

Early Alton Brown, not so much the motorcycle persona and I don't much like the new longer hair (but he didn't ask me). I liked Geeky Alton a lot better.

Early Emeril Legasse, without the audience (but I do agree that he is to be commended for his response to Katrina, and I do like Emeril Green). He seems like a nice guy, and I'm worried about his health. Poor guy looks like a walking heart attack these days.

Jamie Oliver, especially now that the camera work is so wonderful, as opposed to the Naked Chef, where the constant jumping around made me dizzy. The show and Jamie seem to have calmed down quite a bit, and I'm glad.

Mario Batali, especially Molto Mario, not so much the Iron Chef shows - I'm just not into watching chefs compete - I think cooking should be an act of creation, of giving, not of trying to beat out someone else. I know this is Food Network's way of bringing in new, younger, male audience members, but I don't like it.

Sara Moulton, love her.

Ina Garten, love her too.

Nigella Lawson, in small doses.

Early Michael Chiarello, not so much the current show on FLN where he rants - I don't want to see him rant, I want nice, easygoing smiling Michael, not frowny, griping Michael.

Tyler Florence. I want to adopt him.

Ming Tsai, although my enjoyment was somewhat ruined by a report from a local food writer that he was inexplicably very rude to her when she interviewed him. I've never glimpsed any sign of rudeness on his shows, but I can't stop thinking about it when I see him.

Anthony Bourdain, loveable bad boy.

Not so much:

Bobby Flay (the competition thing again). And I don't think playing tricks on people is nice.

Rachel Ray, although I have to say I know lots of young people who started cooking with her, and anything that gets young 'uns in the kitchen is good. Her voice always bothered me, but it turns out she just had throat surgery for a nodule or something.

Sandra Lee. Skin-crawling aversion to the woman for reasons I can't really define. I can't turn the channel fast enough when her show comes on. But I do want her kitchen.

Paula Deen. Now, I'm a Southerner myself, and I just don't buy it. I think it's all an act. Plus, it seems obvious to me that she's trying to kill us all.

Martha Stewart. Now that she's come down off her pedestal I think I understand why everyone hated her before. Still, I feel sorry for her about the "Whatever, Martha" show, although I've read that it was her idea. I actually liked her more when she was perfect. I didn't believe it, but for some reason I liked it. I guess we want our teachers to be paragons (or I do).

Really Dislike:

The whole crop of new shows on Food Network which have replaced the educational, informative ethic with testosterone.

#513 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Really Dislike:

The whole crop of new shows on Food Network which have replaced the educational, informative ethic with testosterone.

View Post

Amen, brother. I sorta stopped watching that channel all together about a year or so ago, but didn't realize why.

I like Lidia B., and find myself rooting for her millionairess endeavors while fervently hoping she'll consider hair plugs at the same time...Special treat when her mom guest-stars.
Also enjoy listening to Eric Rippert's caramel frog accent, but does he have his own show yet? I just catch him on the odd Bravo or Regis and Kelly Lee segment....yum!

#514 GwennP

GwennP
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:35 AM

Favorite:
Julia and Jacques
Michael Chiarello
Tony Bourdain
Mario
Lydia
Ina Garten

The Worst:
Bobby Flay
Sandra Lee
Rachel Ray
Giada
Pretty much anyone on food network!!

#515 TimmDavis

TimmDavis
  • participating member
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Favorite:
Julia and Jacques
Michael Chiarello
Tony  Bourdain
Mario
Lydia
Ina Garten

The Worst:
Bobby Flay
Sandra Lee
Rachel Ray
Giada

View Post

Ok, so by your admission of "pretty much anyone one on the food network", your even likes list should be under the worst: Ina Garten, Mario, Chiarello....all of them have or had shows on Food network.

#516 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

ease up on the snark, luvvy, they're just sayin'........tsK!

#517 TimmDavis

TimmDavis
  • participating member
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

ease up on the snark, luvvy, they're just sayin'........tsK!

View Post

Didn't have enough coffee in my system at that point, and my snark meter was set to high...

#518 Marigene

Marigene
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Like:
Ina Garten
Giada
Michael Chiarello
Anthony Bourdain
Ann Burrell (minus her growls and flying hands)

Can't stand:
The Neelys
Paula Deen
Bobby Flay
Rachel Ray
Sandra Lee

The rest are in between. :laugh:

#519 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

There are a lot of hated celebrities that I've never had the chance to see on Food Network Canada. I'm dying to see Sandra Lee to find out for myself if all the horror stories are true.

I just caught the Neelys for the first time. Oh urgh. How. Annoying. I can't decide which of them is worse, but the two of them in combination makes me want to smack them both.

I can't decide how I feel about Michael Smith's Chef at Home or Laura Calder's French Food at Home. I enjoy both shows for the ideas and techniques, but... well, Michael always comes across as condescending – I feel like he thinks he's explaining things to a really slow child. And Laura is just too too precious.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#520 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

There are a lot of hated celebrities that I've never had the chance to see on Food Network Canada. I'm dying to see Sandra Lee to find out for myself if all the horror stories are true.

I just caught the Neelys for the first time. Oh urgh. How. Annoying. I can't decide which of them is worse, but the two of them in combination makes me want to smack them both.

I can't decide how I feel about Michael Smith's Chef at Home or Laura Calder's French Food at Home. I enjoy both shows for the ideas and techniques, but... well, Michael always comes across as condescending – I feel like he thinks he's explaining things to a really slow child. And Laura is just too too precious.

The Neelys are worthy of an Emmy, a Peabody AND a Pulitzer, and they could instruct at Le Cordon Bleu AND CIA, simultaneously, in comparison to Aunt Sandy. *THAT'S* how awful she is. They are Julia and Jacques together again in comparison to her.

And totally agreed about Michael Smth. We used to get him down here on I think TLC. He totally got on my last nerve. But not nearly as bad as Sandra Lee does. At least HE actually cooks.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#521 GwennP

GwennP
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Favorite:
Julia and Jacques
Michael Chiarello
Tony  Bourdain
Mario
Lydia
Ina Garten

The Worst:
Bobby Flay
Sandra Lee
Rachel Ray
Giada

View Post

Ok, so by your admission of "pretty much anyone one on the food network", your even likes list should be under the worst: Ina Garten, Mario, Chiarello....all of them have or had shows on Food network.

View Post

Yes, Ina is on food network now but Michael only has reruns now. I guess I should have been more specific - I'm new!

#522 GwennP

GwennP
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Favorite:
Julia and Jacques
Michael Chiarello
Tony  Bourdain
Mario
Lydia
Ina Garten

The Worst:
Bobby Flay
Sandra Lee
Rachel Ray
Giada

View Post

View Post

Tony Bourdain
Mario
Lydia
Ina Garten

The Worst:
Bobby Flay
Sandra Lee
Rachel Ray
Giada
Pretty much anyone ELSE on food network!!
:blink:

#523 CindyTelleysh

CindyTelleysh
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi! I am new to Egullet and this is my first response! :biggrin:

Favorite
-----------
Ina Garten
Lidia Bastianich (Love her show, cookbooks and restaurant)
Julia Child
Nigella Lawson
Michael Chiarello (Prior to Fine Living)
Bobby Flay Cookbooks only
David Rosengarten
Anthony Bourdain
Jacques Pepin
Thomas Keller

Least Favorite
---------------
Emeril
THE NEELYS (Watched 2 minutes and had to turn the channel)
Rachel Ray
Can't watch any of the New Food Network Stars!
Paula Deen (Seems like a nice lady but feel my arteries hardening every time I watch her show)
Cindy[COLOR=green][FONT=Impact]

#524 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

Okay I've never had a problem with Paula Deen really since I hardly get to see her show anyway but after seeing this

...I think I might!
Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog
http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

#525 bwv544

bwv544
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

that last youtube link just made me die inside...

#526 CKatCook

CKatCook
  • participating member
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:40 AM

EWWWWWWWWWW......
"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"
-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

#527 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Sandra Lee still remains near the bottom of my list, but then I thought of something......when does her precious nephew Brycer get HIS own show?

#528 chappie

chappie
  • participating member
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

I've got to admit, as someone who used to criticize the guy, I've really started appreciating Bobby Flay more the past couple of years. It seems all the success (and money) has actually mellowed him and I dare say he's more humble -- at least on camera.

In the beginning I thought his Throwdown show was a terrible idea. But he does seem gracious and interested in the people he's competing against, and I get the feeling he's kind of uncomfortable when he wins.

#529 hungryCAT

hungryCAT
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Okay I've never had a problem with Paula Deen really since I hardly get to see her show anyway but after seeing this

...I think I might!

View Post

OMG - That's just nuts!

#530 cbread

cbread
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

Prior to seeing that youtube clip I thought Paula Deen merely awful, but now ...

#531 hsm

hsm
  • participating member
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

Earlier today, Paula and another woman each chowed down on another very special sandwich - a honkin' big slab of lasagna between a half loaf of Italian bread, which had been slathered in garlic butter.

Rachel Ray still irritates me more than Paula, but ya'll are making it a race, lady.

Edited by hsm, 26 April 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#532 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

oink oink

#533 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Earlier today, Paula and another woman each chowed down on another very special sandwich - a honkin' big slab of lasagna between a half loaf of Italian bread, which had been slathered in garlic butter.

Rachel Ray still irritates me more than Paula, but ya'll are making it a race, lady.

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks to you, I am now channeling my inner Homer Simpson and making "Mmmm...Lasagna Sandwich" noises while drooling at work. :laugh: :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#534 Ce'nedra

Ce'nedra
  • participating member
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

Ahahha glad to see people are enjoying that Paula video :laugh:

Btw, I know I'm late (very) but I just watched the ep of Iron Chef America where Flay was competing against Ming Tsai and wow! Such professionalism from Tsai! I have to say, I have a renewed respect for him.
So now I'll have to list Tsai as one of my fav food celebs.

Edited by Ce'nedra, 04 May 2009 - 12:33 AM.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog
http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

#535 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Favorites:
Juila
Jaques
The Swedish Chef!! (why am I the first to list him??)
Jamie Oliver
Alton Brown
Mario
Morimoto
Anthony Bourdain
Denis Cotter (little known, but a huge influence on me)
Paul Prudhomme
Bronwen Weber
Ella Brennan (Not a chef, but a wonderful, wonderful person :) )

Least Favorite:
Bobby Flay
Todd English (I swear this guy wears make up)
Rocco
Rachel Ray
Martha Stewart
That lady in the school cafeteria with the hair net...
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#536 Icanmakeit

Icanmakeit
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Ahahha glad to see people are enjoying that Paula video :laugh:

OMG - this just reinforces why I can't stand this woman. Did you notice how she licks her fingers then promptly grabs the food - shared food - at that. Ugh! She might be the next Typhoid Mary!
I think she wants people to eat her food and die.

#537 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

A few months ago we bought a cool new digital television (Aka the Jumbotron) and for the first time in 25 years I'm able to watch network (not cable) tv.

So I get to watch Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray in their talk show formats.

Martha is the Woman, no doubts. Even Bourdain has said he's impressed by her technique and efficiency. There's no fluff when Martha cooks.

Then there's Rach. She does a short cooking segment at the end od her program, minus the infamous "Yummos!" and in five days of programming I get a "Hmmmm. Might work" vibe at least twice.

I'm not freaked out or appalled by the Deen video (never seen her show.) Not Robuchon's Puree de Pommes de Terre, but not that much more unhealthy. Might be good.

Jacques Pepin rules.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#538 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Jacques Pepin rules.

WORD.

Especially in concert with La Diva Julia. But even alone, WORD.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#539 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

I was going through the channel guide and saw something about economical cooking with "Sandra". Knowing it could not be Sandra Lee, I clicked on the channel to check it out. Imagine my surprise when there was Ms. Lee staring back at me from tv-land. :huh: She was showing people how to cook good-tasting food economically. Huh? :huh:

It seems that the staff had determined how much everything cost per serving, and then she made the less expensive version. For example, they determined that a premade piecrust was less expensive to make than one made from scratch, so she used the premade crust. Then (and make sure you are sitting down for this), they determined that homemade whipped cream was less expensive than the frozen topping stuff, and (get this) Ms. Lee actually used a mixer and made homemade whipped cream. :raz: Granted, it wasn't very pretty -- but hats off to the women -- because she at least had the foresight to toast some coconut to hide the cream. :cool: :laugh:

Hell must be freezing over right now, but maybe, just maybe, the woman wants to improve her cooking. I'm thinking this might be a good thing.

Rhonda

#540 CtznCane

CtznCane
  • participating member
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

I thought I may have responded to this long ago but couldn't find a post, yet time changes some perceptions.

My top 5

1. Emeril. I can't believe he gets put down so much here. I'd also love to see him on a Top Chef Masters as I think he'd turn some heads in a most positive way.
2. Gordon Ramsay - He really puts himself out there for those who put out the effort but has no tolerance for a lack of dedication. Fascinating person.
3. Rick Bayless. Passionate and meticulous and I've never tried a recipe of his that didn't work.
4. Jose Andres - Loved his Made in Spain series (though only saw part since can't get it now since moving from Calif to Kentucky.
5. Tom Colicchio - I like Tom and would like to see him doing more cooking or teaching on T.V. He may not have the personality though to do a teaching show but he'd make a great cheftestant.

Interesting 5.

1. Nick Stellino - Yeah, I like him. Why? His dishes work and he makes a lot of sense. Okay, some, perhaps many might find him to, what, perky? Pretentious? Full of himself? I think it is more he's trying to put on a show, but, bottom line his recipes all work and they are very tasty.
2. Carlo Middione - He had a show on PBS (at least in the bay area) way back "Carlo Cooks Italian." If Emeril and Stellino are over the top enthusiastically Carlo is at the other end of the spectrum. A great teacher, makes things, simple and does them right but no stage presence.
3. John Ash - This guy knows what he's doing, can cook with anyone, and can get his points across clearly. He is another who I think would be a good TCM player.
4. Art Smith - I love his passion and I'd really like to more about his food. His chicken looked great.
5. Grace Young - Grace may not be a great chef but she's a fine teacher, does a fine job of presenting Chinese dishes and culture. She's also a nice lady and a class act.

The Dregs/least favorites

1. Martha Stewart - fine recipes, may know her stuff, but boy, she sure puts the b in ... well, let's just say she could hold all the spots at the bottom of my list.
2. Joanne Weir. She bores me to tears and her voice makes me want to break the t.v. set.
3. The Neely's. There show just drives me batty. It just feels to me like Ozzie an Harriet trying to do a cooking show.
4. Nigela Lawson. - blah
5. Anthony Bourdain - I find him to be full of himself, a little too much of an east coast brow beater type, and while he may know food, I'm not that convinced he's that good a cook. I will say, my opinion might be the exact opposite if I had the chance to go out and get blitzed with him on the town. So the jury is out, but just my current (yet flexible) opinion.

Last but not least, the Eye Candy category. Like it or not, sex and appearance does sell and all of these ladies are talented as well as being eye candy.

1. Giada
2. Raechel Ray
3. Gail Simmons
4. Padma Lakshmi
5. Jacqui Malouf
Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo