Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Yellow and white cakes

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#31 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:30 AM

Hi...this is one from the Cook's Talk Forum at Fine Cooking that is in the "Tried & True" recipes and that people have liked. I have not tried it. There is another recipe that I have somewhere in one of my folders that has white chocolate in it -- I think it is from a well known baker, but can't seem to remember who!!

Recipe from Cook's Talk Forum

3 and 1/4 cups sifted pastry or cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups superfine granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 cups ice water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional) (I used 1/2 teasp. almond extract)
1/2 cup (about 4) egg whites

Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder. Cream the butter or margarine and gradually add 1 and 1/2 cups of the sugar. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Combine ice water and flavorings. Add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until smooth, but do not overbeat. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until stiff and glossy. Very carefully fold this merringue into the batter, folding just until no traces of white can be seen. Turn batter into 2 9-inch round layer pans that have been buttered and floured. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto racks. Fill and frost as desired.

#32 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:36 AM

The vanilla pudding addition amounts to 17% of the weight of the flour, so the yellow from the pudding doesn't make a noticeable impact on the whiteness of the cake. Of course, I've never baked with/without to see the actual impact, but it's good and white.

#33 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:40 AM

Joni, the main theory behind the Cooks Illustrated prep was that beating the whites, which most recipes call for, results in a cake full of holes. You say you haven't tried the recipe you posted...will you to see if you like it?

#34 TrishCT

TrishCT
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

This is my recipe for:

Snow White Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 egg whites, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened (very soft!)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. (Make sure to sift, you don't want lumps.)

3. In a large mixing bowl starting at low and progressing to high speed, beat egg whites, adding cream of tartar as they start to froth, beat until stiff but not dry. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.

4. In the large mixing bowl at medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and almond extract. At low speed beat in dry ingredients alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture, scraping bowl frequently.

5. By hand, stir in about 1/4 of the egg whites; then fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.

6. Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toohpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely.

This recipe makes good cupcakes too. Bake them about 20 minutes.

#35 mkfradin

mkfradin
  • participating member
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:02 AM

This cake is absolutely gorgeous. I always thought white cakes were insipid and too sweet till I tasted this one. Everyone who's tasted it loves it too, and my babysitter almost swooned when she had the cookies and cream version. It throws together really easily, and the only problem was what to do with the yolks (before i learned pastry cream).

White Cake

12 ¼ oz. / 350 g. cake flour
1 T plus 1 tsp. baking powder
6 large egg whites (6 ½ oz/ 180 g.)
12 oz. whole milk
8 oz. salted butter, softened
14 oz./ 400 g. sugar
1 T vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar in bowl. Mix briefly to combine.

Add butter and mix on 1 till butter is broken up and looks like small peas. Add 9 oz. of the milk, increase speed to 2, and beat 1 ½ min.

Combine remaining milk, egg whites, and vanilla, and add to the batter in three separate additions, mixing 15 seconds at 2 between each addition.

Pour into 9” cake pans and bake at 350 till test done.

For Cookies and Cream cake, fold 1 c. crushed oreos into batter after mixing.

Marjorie

#36 Samaki

Samaki
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

The problem with most white cakes, IMHO, is their texture. I did a white cake bake-off on Cook's talk a few years ago, and the best one I came up with then was the ice water white cake already posted. I do think it is possible to do better than this, though, and lately I've been playing around with subbing cornstarch for some of the flour (yes, even cake flour), and oil for part of the butter, all in an attempt to soften the texture. Results so far are promising, but I haven't really settled on a final recipe.

My entry to this thread would be RLB's standard white cake from the Cake Bible (not the white chocolate one), with half the butter replaced by an equal volume of vegetable oil, and about 1/4 cup of the flour replaced with cornstarch.

#37 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

Help I need gram weights!

#38 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

There is another recipe that I have somewhere in one of my folders that has white chocolate in it -- I think it is from a well known baker, but can't seem to remember who!!

I think that would be Rose Levy Berenbaum's white chocolate whisper cake from the "Cake Bible". I haven't made many white cakes, but I really like that recipe. You don't really taste the white chocolate, but it adds a wonderful richness of flavor. If there weren't so many nominated recipes already, I would post Rose's.

#39 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:57 PM

Goodness! So many recipes, where do we start??? I agree that RLB's white chocolate cake is very good, very fine crumbs with a hint of white chocolate aftertaste.
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#40 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:40 AM

Just some thoughts/opinions off the top of my head........first-I've baked the ice-water cake from cookstalk (I've baked several items from there that were excellent), but I believe my own white cake version beats theirs. So if it's o.k. I can eliminate that one.

I'm also thinking we should eliminate RBL's white choc. whisper cake from this catagory-because it's a white chocolate cake, not a straight white cake. Opinions on that? Do you agree or disagree?

If you agree with me so far, that gets us down to 4 recipes to test:

1. KThulls cake with the pudding

2. mkFradin's

3. Trishes cake

4. Samaki's version of RBL's standard white cake. DO you want to summit that one? (If you post this, can you include RBL's metric too for people that work in weights?)

So we have 3 or 4 cakes to begin with. I suppose it would be best if we each made as many as possible to compare notes. So if everyone picks 1 or 2 cakes to test we should be able to narrow down this batch of trials. So do what you can and report back.

OH also -no ingredient substitutions, if you don't have all the exact ingredients then chose a different recipe to test....otherwise it becomes too confusing to compare notes.

Side note:

Samaki: you said you've been playing around testing but are you saying that RBL's cake still beats where your experiments have lead? Replacing part of the butter with oil has been something I talked about with others for a while now with both white and yellow cakes. I tend to agree it makes for a better cake after refridgeration. Have you ever played with using an instant pudding verses the cornstarch to effect texture? If so what were your results?

#41 Samaki

Samaki
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Sure I can post the recipe with my latest modifications. What I meant to say was that this was my best result so far. I do still think it's possible to do better, though. I haven't tried adding pudding mix. Actually I have a strong aversion to pudding mixes, so I'll sit that version out.

I agree with dropping the white chocolate cake, however much I like it, for the same reason you suggest.

OK, here is the RLB cake with my modifications:

4 1/2 (4.75 ounces, or 135 grams) egg whites
1 cup (8.5 ounces or 242 grams ) whole milk
2 1/4 tsp. (9 grams) vanilla
2 3/4 cups (9.6 ounces or 275 grams) sifted cake flour
1/4 cup (1 ounce or 30 grams) sifted corn starch
1 1/2 cups (10.5 ounces or 300 grams) sugar
1 T. +1 tsp. (19.5 grams) baking powder
3/4 tsp (5 grams) salt
6 T. (3 ounces or 85 grams) unsalted butter
6 T. (3 ounces or 85 grams) vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.
In a medium bowl, lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup of milk, and the vanilla.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter, oil, and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed until the dry iingredients are moistened.Increase to medium speed and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg ixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the sides.
Scrape batter into prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched. If it starts shrinking away from the sides of the pan before you remove it from the oven it is overbaked! Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn them out onto a rack and cool completely.
Wrap cooled cakes well and let them sit overnight. They have a far better texture and flavor the day after they are baked.

#42 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Samaki, do you refridgerate overnight or leave on the counter?

#43 Samaki

Samaki
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

I usually just leave it on the counter. Sometimes I'll freeze. Come to think of it, I rarely refrigerate unfrosted cakes, for no particular reason.

#44 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:54 AM

I will do Samaki's RLB cake w/ modifications and mkFradin's. :smile:

Do we have a common judgement criteria?

This is going to be fun! :laugh:

edit to ask if we can divide these recipes?

Edited by bleudauvergne, 03 May 2004 - 05:56 AM.

#45 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:00 AM

A question...when you use "vegetable oil"....do you use canola oil or corn oil..or does it matter?

Edited by Joni, 03 May 2004 - 08:00 AM.

#46 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:07 AM

Your right bleudauvergne, we should establish the criteria for judgement. Some people on other threads naturaly did this and taking their lead we can do the same.

How about a 1-5 rating for these 3 criterias:

1. Over all taste
2. Texture, moisture, crumb.
3. Other: could be used to rate appearance or something that doesn't fit nicely into the first two judgements. You need to make a note and tell us what your "other" issue is.
4. Then we should add the total numbers from above that you gave and thats your final score on this item. So if you give something 5 for taste, 3 for moisture and a 4 for cracked top-your final score would be 12.

BUT on second thought-I think this will become too complicated. Personally I think it makes the most sense to keep things simple and just pick one number 1-5 to represent your over all judgement. We are looking for the best recipe, not building the best recipe (right now at least) so we don't need to know details. It's an eliminating and antying up system.

Anyone disagree?

As to dividing up the recipes-lets just do that naturally, people will come and go as they want anyway. I hope that we can get as many people as possible to try each recipe and post their results because as I've learned so far everyone has a different opinion on what is best. So the more people that bake and give opinions the more balanced the judgements will be. Ideally everyone would bake each recipe....but that's too much to ask for. I'll attempt to bake them all so I can bring everyones opinion together from my experience.

Joni-I use both oils interchangably. I've never detected a difference when used in a cake recipe.

#47 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:56 AM

OK general rating system 1-5.

May I divide these recipes in half to make smaller cakes? :smile:

#48 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

May I divide these recipes in half to make smaller cakes? :smile:

I understand where your coming from wanting to divide a recipe so you don't have waste. Honestly I don't think it's a good idea at all, I think you won't be able to judge these recipes properly. When you work with too little or too much in your bowl it does effect quality. Your more likely to over-mix or under-mix, which to a cake recipe, technique can make or break it.

Any possiblity you could share your over flow with a neighbor? I've done that and they LOVED getting a gift and wanted to participate in rating them too. Otherwise most cakes freeze very well.

#49 JanKK

JanKK
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:29 PM

Ok ...having never been a huge fan of RLB's cakes,I'm going to skip that one for now (maybe it's just me, but they always seem a little dry).

Will try Trish's recipe and kthull's.

(then I can have chocolate cakes AND white cakes in the freezer ;)

#50 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:14 AM

May I divide these recipes in half to make smaller cakes?   :smile:

I understand where your coming from wanting to divide a recipe so you don't have waste. Honestly I don't think it's a good idea at all, I think you won't be able to judge these recipes properly. When you work with too little or too much in your bowl it does effect quality. Your more likely to over-mix or under-mix, which to a cake recipe, technique can make or break it.

Any possiblity you could share your over flow with a neighbor? I've done that and they LOVED getting a gift and wanted to participate in rating them too. Otherwise most cakes freeze very well.

Yes, I completely understand, some recipes divide well, and some do not, like cakes. My neighbors have two children so I'm sure they'll love them.

I am going to go to get the good eggs (click to see last saturday's lunch where I compared market eggs) for these cakes at the Wednesday night market tomorrow.

Edited by bleudauvergne, 04 May 2004 - 09:23 AM.

#51 JanKK

JanKK
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

Trish... In the Snow White Cake recipe, you typed 250 degrees ....is that correct??

#52 TrishCT

TrishCT
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

Trish... In the Snow White Cake recipe, you typed 250 degrees ....is that correct??

Oops! Should be 350 degrees! Good catch!

#53 JanKK

JanKK
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

Thanks, Trish ....that's pretty much what I thought, but you never can tell. But just in case, I was wrong, I reduced the temp a tidge to 325 ;) I may have to make this again though ---I liked the flavor, but one kindof fell in the middle. I think I may have filled one pan fuller than the other and not baked it quite long enough.

#54 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:09 PM

Did anyone else get a chance to bake any of these white cakes?

#55 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

Since Trish's cake has been tested once so far, I'll be testing mkfradin's cake tonight. I'll also freeze some of what I make tonight and save it for later comparisons.

#56 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:07 PM

Ok, so tonight I made both mkfradin and my recipes. I also took detailed pictures that I'll probably post tomorrow since it's getting too late tonight. mkfradin's is definitely whiter, seems like a tighter crumb, but the cakes were still a bit warm when I cut into them. I'll see how they are tomorrow. And neither tasted all that great...it's been a while since I've had white cake. Give me chocolate any day!

#57 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:15 AM

Don't laugh...here's my mkfradin's cake, warts and all. The one time I forget to knock out the air bubbles, I get one the size of an observatory! Sliced a bit out to test and taste. I like this cake. I'll give an overall taste of 4.7 (keeping in mind it's a white cake) and a TMC rating of 5. It behaved very well on cutting and was very moist.

Posted Image
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#58 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:05 PM

After chilling the cakes, both were much improved, though mkfradin's definitely beat out my recipe. Taste was comparable, the pudding version was a bit dryer and was more crumbly. mkfraddin's recipe baked up lighter in color both inside and out.

Here are the two side by side exteriors (kthull pudding recipe left, mkfradin recipe right):

Posted Image

And here are closeups of slices (again, kthull left, mkfradin, right):

Posted Image

Neither cake was very moist. Neither made me say, "Man, that's some damn good cake!"

My ratings:

kthull - 3.5
mkfradin - 4

It will be a while before I can test more...freezer's getting full of cakes. But I definitely have samples for future comparisons.

#59 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:16 AM

Hi guys ... I'm new to the forum. I hope you don't mind if I jump right in.

I just baked mkfradin's cake but with the addition of chopped oreos in one and crushed oreos in the other pan.

(My daughter just helped herself to her 3rd piece! :smile: )

Anyways, mine did not come out as white as TPs. But rather like kthull's - all golden on the outside and whiter inside.

However, the outer crisp is rather chewy and more prominent than other cakes. There's a definite 'skin' all around (pardon my descriptive terms as I am only a home baker :biggrin: ). Could it be my oven? I baked it for 28 minutes. But this would definitely be a plus point if frosting - no crumbs.

It cuts pretty well though and the texture is fine and light. I think the moistness level is just right. It also does not dome out - I had a nice almost even top.

And since I added the Oreos, I cut down the sugar (I use caster sugar) to only 300gms and it *is* sweet.

It is indeed a very easy cake to make. Virtually hassle-free.

I'd give both the taste and TMC 4.5.

I think I'll give the Snow White cake a try next and compare to this.

Edited by kew, 07 May 2004 - 01:27 AM.

#60 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:42 AM

You guys, the photos really add alot to this discusion, thanks so much!

Theres a noticeable difference in the exterior color between TP's cake and Kthulls. Mcfradin can you comment on this?

Kew, welcome! I hope you enjoy this site. I would like to reccomend to you that you follow the recipes exactly for now. Variations do throw off the experiments. The impact of oreos and decreasing the sugar will definately effect your final product making it an orea cake not a white cake. You could split your batter and play with one half while keeping the other "pure".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert