Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fresh Rice Noodles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bilrus

bilrus
  • participating member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:08 AM

I have the pasta making plates for the KitchenAid stand mixer on order from Amazon. As I was eating Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles at my local Thai restaurant last night, I realized that I could probably use the device to make rice noodles as well, but I know nothing about how they are made.

I am dreaming of all sorts of noodle stir-frys and soups.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for rice noodles (are there variations)?

Can these be made using a pasta maker like this?
Bill Russell

#2 mudbug

mudbug
  • participating member
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:55 AM

bilrus,

It's pretty much one cup of well sifted (3-4 times) rice flour to one cup water. You can sift in a teaspoon of salt if you like. Mix well and that's your dough. Of course there are variations but this would be the most basic. Just try it and let us know how it goes.

:smile:

#3 bilrus

bilrus
  • participating member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:57 AM

That seems simple enough. This may be the first thing I make with my new gadget.
Bill Russell

#4 Shiewie

Shiewie
  • participating member
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 03:25 AM

Here's a link to a "chee cheong fun" recipe. It's similar to kuay teow and hor fun, but is usually sold in long rolls and hence its name "chee cheong fun" which means pig intestine noodles.

You don't need a pasta maker for it though. Just make the batter following the recipe, pour a thin layer of batter onto a flat baking sheet and steam.

#5 kangarool

kangarool
  • participating member
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:03 AM

howdy everyone. Not to take the topic too off-topic, but, do any of you rice-noodle lovers have a good recipe for seafood hor fun? The noodles and seafood bit are obviously just what they are, but I'd love to replicate the yummy sauce/gravy ... the ones I like are usually lightly coloured but strongly flavoured, and thickened a bit with, i presume, cornflour/cornstarch. All the recipes I've googled for don't really seem right.

thanks to anyone with any information/kanga

#6 aprilmei

aprilmei
  • participating member
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:15 AM

Shiewei is right, just make sure your pan is oiled. That way the noodle sheet will come off the pan and it also lets you stack them without the sheets sticking together