Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mai Tai Recipes

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#241 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Kerry, I was wondering if you source your round, green mai tai components from Cuba?

#242 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

I want to like Appleton 12 in a mai tai, I really do.  Having replenished my Pusser's tonight I concocted:

1 oz scant Appleton 12 (because of how sloppily I poured it)

1 oz S&C

1 oz scant Pusser's (last of the old bottle)

1/4 oz W&N (to make up the difference)

3/4 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

1 oz fresh American lime juice, dearly priced

It just wasn't very good.  Poured in and stirred some more orgeat, Grand Marnier, and quite a bit of W&N.  Much better.

#243 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 878 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Jo, I have to despair at your continuing to use limes in Mai Tais!  To my taste (admittedly averse to sour) they make the drink thin, insubstantial.  Go with 1 Appleton, 1 W&N, ½ Curaçao (Grand Marnier is fine), ½ orgeat, ½ falernum (preferably not the Velvet muck).  Much meatier.  Give it a float of some other exotic rum if you like.

And if you really want to see Appleton 12 shine, try a Tolkien (which is also very good with S&C).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#244 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 910 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Leslie, I took part of your suggestion.  I made my favorite mai tai but I reduced the lime a little:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Smith & Cross
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
3/4 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

I think this is pretty good.  I still lean toward a bit more lime, myself.  But three quarter ounce is nice enough since lime juice is running about $1.50 per ounce.  To put that in perspective, per ounce, lime juice is the same price as Appleton 12 and Grand Marnier...Grand Marnier in smaller bottles.

As always, W&N is a real bargain.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 13 April 2014 - 10:48 PM.