Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mai Tai Recipes

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#241 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Kerry, I was wondering if you source your round, green mai tai components from Cuba?

#242 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

I want to like Appleton 12 in a mai tai, I really do.  Having replenished my Pusser's tonight I concocted:

1 oz scant Appleton 12 (because of how sloppily I poured it)

1 oz S&C

1 oz scant Pusser's (last of the old bottle)

1/4 oz W&N (to make up the difference)

3/4 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

1 oz fresh American lime juice, dearly priced

It just wasn't very good.  Poured in and stirred some more orgeat, Grand Marnier, and quite a bit of W&N.  Much better.

#243 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Jo, I have to despair at your continuing to use limes in Mai Tais!  To my taste (admittedly averse to sour) they make the drink thin, insubstantial.  Go with 1 Appleton, 1 W&N, ½ Curaçao (Grand Marnier is fine), ½ orgeat, ½ falernum (preferably not the Velvet muck).  Much meatier.  Give it a float of some other exotic rum if you like.

And if you really want to see Appleton 12 shine, try a Tolkien (which is also very good with S&C).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#244 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Leslie, I took part of your suggestion.  I made my favorite mai tai but I reduced the lime a little:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Smith & Cross
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
3/4 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

I think this is pretty good.  I still lean toward a bit more lime, myself.  But three quarter ounce is nice enough since lime juice is running about $1.50 per ounce.  To put that in perspective, per ounce, lime juice is the same price as Appleton 12 and Grand Marnier...Grand Marnier in smaller bottles.

As always, W&N is a real bargain.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 13 April 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#245 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Finally DC gets warm and sunny weather on a weekend, so I just had to celebrate it with a mai tai, and thanks to Señor Rafa I now have the perfect rum blend - equal parts Smith & Cross and Barbancourt 8. I was thinking of that for my next attempt, but he confirmed it.

1010207_10100146462340461_59805289380202

Also, 1 oz lime juice, scant 1/2 oz homemade orgeat, ditto Senior Curaçao, and 1/4 oz 2:1 simple syrup

I suspect Barbancourt 15 would take it far into the stratospheric "17 year old Wray & Nephew" category, but alas I haven't got a bottle of the B15.

• Rafa likes this

#246 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Tonight I have been going back and forth between Grand Marnier mai tais and Cointreau mai tais with different amounts of curacao.  If this seems easy I assure you it is not...not, that is, if you want to type (or stand)...even with an almost infinite supply of mint.  I can only conclude Cointreau has no place in a mai tai.  Not in my mai tai at  least.

I have yet to explore other curacao besides Grand Marnier and Cointreau.  This is a future research project.

All experiments done with equal parts Pusser's, S&C, and W&N, my gold standard mai tai rums.  Your mileage may vary, but probably won't.

#247 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Here's a project for you, Jo - make your own Curaçao to Jerry Thomas's recipe.

I've done it a couple of times.  The result is quite different to (eg) Grand Marnier.  It's quite a strong smelling/tasting product, but goes very well in a Mai Tai.

It's about cocktail time.  Might be a Mai Tai night for us too ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#248 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 933 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:04 AM

I have Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao Ancienne Methode on order. Can't wait to see how it compares to Grand Marnier.