Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mai Tai Recipes

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#211 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

My condolences for your loss, PV.

What rum mix did you use in these Mai Tais?

#212 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

PV - I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Those are some fine looking cocktails.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#213 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thank you both. My grandma was ready to go at this point.

We used Appleton V/X and St Aubin agricole.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 25 February 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#214 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

When I go I could do worse than have my granddaughters morn me with a mai tai.  Though at the moment I must say it is more my grandson who is into alcohol.  Not that my granddaughters don't appreciate it.

I too am sorry for your loss.  Please share which version of Don's recipe.

For me tonight it is a variation on Vic's theme:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Gosling's Old
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 oz lime juice (juice of a lime)

1/2 oz orgeat

Very nice, again.  At first sip I thought it might be a tad too sweet, but I think it is just the molassicity of the Gosling's Old.  Also, this time I used 1/2 cubes rather than crushed ice.  And sadly no mint at the moment.

I could keep drinking this forever.

#215 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Gosling's old is way too expensive for use in a cocktail (though that was the original point of the Mai Tai). I'd pass on the Brugal. Not bad, but not special.

Tonight I finally brought home the Brugal, more intended for a zombie than a mai tai.  However after extensive pre-zombie testing, I find I really like it.  Brugal may find a home in my mai tai as well.

#216 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I mean the Brugal is perfectly pleasant, just remember that it's a lighter hispanic style, and may not cut through everything else going on in a Tiki drink - it would work well in recipes calling for Cuban rum though - several of the Don and Vic recipes call for Cuban or PR rum as one component, backed up with something more hearty.

#217 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Tonight I had actually been planning to assay a Jet Pilot for the first time.  However today I took delivery of a new, more capacious mai tai vessel.  I am pleased to report it is quite satisfactory for the intended purpose and of course I had to make a mai tai.  The fact that I am dead tired, it is almost 1:00 am, and my eyes glazed over looking at the Jet Pilot ingredients had little to do with the decision.

This mai tai, I believe, is a bit different than anything I've done before:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Cointreau
1 oz fresh lime juice (juice of half an hideously expensive lime)

1/2 oz orgeat

Garnished with spent half lime and lovely bush of mint.  Beautiful presentation.  Perfect balance.  Very satisfying and worth repeating.

#218 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

I set out to recreate my delightful mai tai from last night.  Unfortunately after a Jet Pilot I forgot what I was measuring and doled out 3/4 oz Cointreau rather than 1/2.  Not terrible, did not pour it down the drain.  Cointreau stands out a bit too much however.  Not optimum.

How do other mai tai makers handle this problem if they've enjoyed some other beverage first?  One thing that helps for me is if I uncork everything before I assemble then recork as the ingredient is used.  Still have the small problem of measuring correctly though.

#219 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

It's never a problem. I don't free pour

#220 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

I don't free pour either.  (Usually.)  I carefully measure.  But sometimes I forget what i am measuring.

#221 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Written recipe, assembled into an apothecary's measure or similarly graduated beaker. That way if I forget where I am then I can tell by reading the volume in the beaker and adding up the ingredient volumes down the list until I get to the matching point.

Which said, forgetting where I am while assembling a MaiTai may be a clue that I should not be having another MaiTai right now.... :)

#222 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Which said, forgetting where I am while assembling a MaiTai may be a clue that I should not be having another MaiTai right now.... :)

Right

#223 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'd be looking to see if my "check liver light" was on! I can say that as I sip on an Obituary.
  • haresfur, Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#224 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'd be looking to see if my "check liver light" was on! I can say that as I sip on an Obituary.

I've learned your secret:  a drink with only three ingredients to measure!

#225 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

I set out to recreate my delightful mai tai from last night.  Unfortunately after a Jet Pilot I forgot what I was measuring and doled out 3/4 oz Cointreau rather than 1/2.  Not terrible, did not pour it down the drain.  Cointreau stands out a bit too much however.  Not optimum.

How do other mai tai makers handle this problem if they've enjoyed some other beverage first?  One thing that helps for me is if I uncork everything before I assemble then recork as the ingredient is used.  Still have the small problem of measuring correctly though.

If you recognize what you have done in time then you can always scale up the other ingredients to match the error. Drink is better and you have more of it.

That is what I would call a win, win!!!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#226 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

If you recognize what you have done in time then you can always scale up the other ingredients to match the error. Drink is better and you have more of it.

Good point.  Wish I had thought of it at the time.  Unfortunately to do so would have meant slicing up another dollar's worth of lime.

#227 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Good point.  Wish I had thought of it at the time.  Unfortunately to do so would have meant slicing up another dollar's worth of lime.

In the pursuit of drink perfection it is a notable but small sacrifice!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#228 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Funny where we draw the line on what we are prepared to pay!

#229 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

When I make a drink I congratulate myself on saving money because I did not buy it in a bar. It would take a lot of limes to persuade me against this pleasant way of lying to myself.

#230 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

I've learned your secret:  a drink with only three ingredients to measure!

Exactly. My brain doesn't do long ingredient lists for food or drink.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#231 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Exactly. My brain doesn't do long ingredient lists for food or drink.

But that would seem to remove the Mai Tai from contention.  Which would be a shame.

I have a more practical suggestion: make sure your Mai Tai is your first drink of the evening.  Then a simpler second drink will be (a) doable and (b) probably not necessary.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#232 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

IMG_1151.jpg

Sorry Jo.  Sometimes I just can't help myself!

• mkayahara, Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#233 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Exactly.  To mitigate the extra 1/4 oz of Cointreau, a little more lime and and extra float of Lemon Hart over the top would take care that easily!

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#234 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1151.jpg

Sorry Jo.  Sometimes I just can't help myself!

Yes, you are cruel but that's just a bit less than what I was paying for first quality limes not that long ago.  How much are your limes that are not reduced, and from what country do they come?

Tonight is cold and raw.  I needed something to warm me up -- a mai tai, naturally!  Same recipe as last time except Grand Marnier rather than Cointreau:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Smith & Cross
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
1 oz fresh lime juice (generous, since sadly it took a whole ungiving lime)

1/2 oz orgeat

Grand Marnier works at 3/4 oz, Cointreau can't be more than 1/2 oz or it gets bad.

#235 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

But that would seem to remove the Mai Tai from contention.  Which would be a shame.

I have a more practical suggestion: make sure your Mai Tai is your first drink of the evening.  Then a simpler second drink will be (a) doable and (b) probably not necessary.

The invention I would like to see is a well calibrated ounce measuring glass with my mai tai recipe on one side and the zombie recipe on the other.

#236 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Because I am scientific:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Cointreau
1 1/4 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

This works well.  Dinner is another bowl of peanuts, ras el hanout and Kosher salt.

#237 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yes, you are cruel but that's just a bit less than what I was paying for first quality limes not that long ago.  How much are your limes that are not reduced, and from what country do they come?

Not sure where they are from - the regular ones were 3 for $2 but they were big and light - didn't look good at all.  These reduced ones must have been what was left of the last batch they had and looked better than the 'first quality'.

The one I used for a Mai Tai for hubby last night was lovely and juicy and yielded about 1 1/4 ounces of juice.  

#238 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Wish I had stocked up when limes were a dollar.  Today I paid $1.25.  Soon the "hundred dollar mai tai" will be easy.

#239 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Wish I had stocked up when limes were a dollar.  Today I paid $1.25.  Soon the "hundred dollar mai tai" will be easy.

You do make me feel better about the cost of drinking here.  But I'm sure your mai tai still costs much less than making them with our highly taxed liquor.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#240 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Indeed - here in Canada the price of limes is not the financial rate limiting step of a mai tai!

• Plantes Vertes likes this