Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Mai Tai Recipes

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#361 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

More and more I am drawn to the white mai tai.  Leslie can stop reading now. Tonight I used a full two ounces of lime juice...juice of one lime, as called out by Vic.  This is so perfect I am contemplating another (why waste mint?):

1 1/2 oz La Favorite Blanc

1 1/2 oz W&N

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz orgeat

2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice (juice of one lime)

#362 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

What big limes you have!
  • Hassouni likes this

#363 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

Limes are still ten for $1.99.  Well more than two ounces of juice tonight, even after I spilled some.  It was time to think outside the bottle:

1 1/2 oz Neisson L'esprit

1 1/2 oz W&N

1 oz La Favorite Blanc

3/4 oz Cointreau

3/4 oz orgeat

juice of one lime

I'm not used to relegating La Favorite to a mere modifier, but if it works for the likes of Death&Co I figured it was worth a shot.  (Sarcasm possibly intended.)  Besides, for some reason, I keep running out of La Favorite.

I was afraid that with the extra orgeat and Cointreau the drink might be too sweet, but it is nicely balanced.  Compared to my usual white mai tai the nose is more of butyl rubber -- in that wonderful Martinique rhum way.  The only down side is that the subtile W&N dunder is a little lost.

Now, to pull down the Bastille.

#364 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

For science I had to repeat this recipe.  Very satisfied.  Not sure what to say except this is not a wimpy drink.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#365 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

Edit:  since I can't edit -- and now I have the hiccups.  This is horrible.

#366 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

Nearly 5 oz of full-strength or overproof booze in one pop will do that

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#367 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

Nearly 5 oz of full-strength or overproof booze in one pop will do that

Indeed.

Edit:  though only the Cointreau is full strength.

Edit 2:  feste's orgeat has very little brandy.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 20 November 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#368 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

A Mai Tai with a 50:50 mix of Lost Spirits Polynesian-style rum and Clement VSOP, Pierre Ferrand Dry curaçao, homemade coconut orgeat. A little more reasonable than the 100% Polynesian version.

15853849831_006fa38783_z.jpg

Then a winter take on the Mai Tai with Highland Park 12 as the base spirit, Pierre Ferrand Dry curaçao, homemade coconut orgeat. When I make it again I will skip the simple syrup and go all orgeat on that one (the coconut orgeat is lighter than almond orgeat). There is an interesting affinity between scotch and coconut...

15716696137_bb146047fc_z.jpg

#369 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

Tonight I decided to take my mai tai back closer to its roots:

1 1/2 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 1/2 oz S&C

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

juice of one half lime (exactly 1 oz)

Nothing really, really wrong with this.  Though I was surprised the buttery smooth Neisson was so dominant.  If I had to find one fault I'd say the drink, as built, was too polite.  The solution was a solid pour of my new bottle of Lost Spirits.  (No, I didn't measure...and I don't have to.)

In my opinion a non-white mai tai demands a backbone of Guyana style rum.  It's not the same without it.  Een so, the simple white mai tai remains for me the apotheosis of the drink.

#370 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

Some nights ago I killed off the last bottle of Cointreau, so another non-white mai tai:

1 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 oz S&C

1 oz Lost Spirits Navy Style (Pusser's would have served OK)

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

1 oz lime (generous)

Very well balanced combination.

#371 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Mai Tai with Denizen Merchant's Reserve, Clement Select Barrel, homemade coconut orgeat, Clement Creole Shrubb, lime juice, and a float of Lost Spirits Polynesian-style rum.

15402542084_f2c7856b40_z.jpg

That was pretty amazing. The Denizen was designed for Mai Tais and it certainly delivers. The Clement Select Barrel is just meh for me on its own (too smooth for agricole) but it works great here adding deep oak notes. And the Polynesian-style rum adds tropical notes with crazy esters.

3/4 oz Denizen Merchant's Reserve
3/4 oz Clement Select Barrel

1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz coconut orgeat
1/2 oz Clement creole shrubb
1/2 oz Lost Spirits Polynesian-style rum (float)

• Rafa likes this

#372 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the Denizen information.  I have never seen Denizen for sale, but if I should find a bottle I would like to try it.

#373 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

My case of orgeat came today, and it's a white mai tai for me tonight.  Just in time ordering as I killed the last of the last bottle.  In my enthusiasm I subsequently over poured the orgeat and then had to compensate.  The result is somewhat stronger than I am used to but perfectly balanced with a blue straw and a beautiful stem of mint.

• gfweb likes this

#374 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

I have been going back and forth tonight.  What I want to know is do most folks strain their lime juice or not?  I have always taken the trouble to strain my lime juice for a mai tai.  But, you know, I can't say it makes a difference.

And I can pretend lime pulp is good for one.

Unfortunately there are only so many experiments I can make in a short space of time.

• gfweb likes this

#375 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

I have been going back and forth tonight.  What I want to know is do most folks strain their lime juice or not?  I have always taken the trouble to strain my lime juice for a mai tai.  But, you know, I can't say it makes a difference.

And I can pretend lime pulp is good for one.

Unfortunately there are only so many experiments I can make in a short space of time.

At home I never strain my citrus juices. At the bar, always. I think my big Hamilton Beach juicer for the bar presses more pulp out than my hand-squeezer, in any case.

#376 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

I don't strain on the front end (i.e., the juices separately) but I tend to double strain everything after I've mixed when pouring into a glass. I guess some tiki classic recipes call for shaking with the crushed ice and then dumping it all in a glass, but I can never get the ice:liquid ratio right and end up with too much or too little ice. Easier for me to fill the glass with the right amount of crushed ice and strain the drink over it.

#377 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:03 PM

I only double strain a drink served up -- eg. not a mai tai.  However I've been really enjoying mai tais with unstrained juice.  And it is fantastically less work!

Not to mention lime pulp on a winter-cracked raw thumb is beyond excruciating.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#378 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

I'm with Jo on this. In a Tiki style drink I wouldn't bother to strain the juice unless it was from a multi-purpose batch of juice that's already strained. All that crushed ice, who cares about a shred of pulp.

#379 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

I freely admit my double straining is sometimes a neurosis. I'll try your approach on my next Mai Tai.

#380 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

I have been rethinking this whole issue.  The past couple days my Baron shaker has been clogged with brownish used lime gunk, and the contents don't pour out.

Last night was not a mai tai.  It was a zombie for which I did indeed strain the juices.  Nonetheless I still could not get the drink into the glass due to the remaining mai tai residue.  Either I have to wash the shaker after each use or go back to pre-straining limes.  Which I'd just as soon not do at least till warmer weather.  My hands can't take it.  Making the aforesaid zombie I thought I had spilled some grenadine.  I hoped I had spilled the grenadine.  But no.

Anyhow, tonight's white mai tai is a little different.  Instead of half La Favorite and half W&N, I used equal parts La Favorite, W&N, and l'Esprit.  Not bad, but I think I still prefer the former.

• Fernet-Bronco likes this

#381 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Tried my first mai tai with the gallons of rum I bought in the last week...

1 oz Smith & Cross

.5 oz Appleton V/X

.5 oz Pusser's

.5 oz Cointreau

1 oz lime juice

.5 oz orgeat

.5 oz simple syrup

.5 oz Lemon Hart OP float

Nice but too sweet. No ss next time. This belongs in a julep cup, or some south pacific, pearl-studded pimp chalice. 

(Edit: Oh, and I double strained. Couldn't help myself.)

Edited by Fernet-Bronco, 04 March 2015 - 10:00 PM.

• Hassouni likes this

#382 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Rather than Lemon Hart, you should find a way to work some Martinique rum in there!  I typically use Neisson Reserve Speciale in a brown mai tai and La Favorite in a white mai tai.  (It's a good thing I can't afford the older Neisson expressions.)

I'm finishing up the remains of a white mai tai at the moment and wondering what's next.

I know it's not all that tiki-like but I prefer plain drinking vessels for my mai tai.  This one is 16 ounces.  And remember, straw color is important.

#383 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

Rather than Lemon Hart, you should find a way to work some Martinique rum in there!  I typically use Neisson Reserve Speciale  . . . .

Not at the prices I'm seeing! :smile:

Been using my old fashioned glasses for mai tais. Too small. It may not be traditional, but I think until I get proper mai tai vessels, I am actually going to use our julep cups. They seem to perform well enough with crushed ice and mint garnishes in other contexts.

#384 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

Not at the prices I'm seeing! :smile:

Been using my old fashioned glasses for mai tais. Too small. It may not be traditional, but I think until I get proper mai tai vessels, I am actually going to use our julep cups. They seem to perform well enough with crushed ice and mint garnishes in other contexts.

I use a 12 oz (or rather, 330ml or something) Duralex Picardie glass for mai tais and other crushed ice drinks. Not traditional but it's the right size. A julep cup would work nicely, I think.

#385 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

You need a double old fashioned glass for Mai Tais. Aren't julep cups too small?

#386 pto

pto
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Edit:  since I can't edit -- and now I have the hiccups.  This is horrible.

A little late, but have you tried the trick in the Joy Of Mixology book? Take a lemon or lime wedge, dash it with Angostura, put it between your teeth and suck - hiccups are gone! Worked for my GF and I thought it might be the power of suggestion, but then I did it a few weeks later and it really works.

Made a very "standard" Mai Tai tonight:

1oz Appleton V/X

1oz La Mauny Ambre
.5 oz Cointreau

.5 oz orgeat (Monin)

.75 lime juice

dash ss

Quite rich tastng.

IMG_7313.jpg

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this

#387 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

Test-driving the Denizen Merchant's Reserve, Clément Creole Shrubb, and the Dave Arnold orgeat recipe:

2 oz Denizen's
1 oz lime (scant)
0.5 oz orgeat
0.5 oz Creole S.

Thoughts - the rum is nice, but the Clément strikes me as being a bit too dry for this - I pretty much always do half and half orgeat: curaçao, and this is a very dry, almost thin tasting drink. Maybe a bit less ice and a dash of Demerara syrup might make it better. Maybe it was an exceptionally tart lime. Who knows.

image.jpg

And no, I don't have any mint in the house.

Edited by Hassouni, 28 March 2015 - 09:53 PM.

• FrogPrincesse likes this

#388 Moto

Moto
  • participating member
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Tonight's Mai Tai

1 Oz LaFavorit

1 Oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Pecan Orgeat

1/2 oz Clement Shrub

1 Oz Lime Juice

even with tired looking limes this was very good

Attached Images

• lafvorite mai tai.jpg

• FrogPrincesse, Hassouni and JoNorvelleWalker like this

#389 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

Test-driving the Denizen Merchant's Reserve, Clément Creole Shrubb, and the Dave Arnold orgeat recipe:

2 oz Denizen's
1 oz lime (scant)
0.5 oz orgeat
0.5 oz Creole S.

Thoughts - the rum is nice, but the Clément strikes me as being a bit too dry for this - I pretty much always do half and half orgeat: curaçao, and this is a very dry, almost thin tasting drink. Maybe a bit less ice and a dash of Demerara syrup might make it better. Maybe it was an exceptionally tart lime. Who knows.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And no, I don't have any mint in the house

I made some orgeat last week after a few weeks sans. Like Hassouni I tried a Denizen Merchant's Reserve Mai Tai with 2 oz rum, 1 oz lime, 1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrubb, 1/4 oz homemade orgeat (Beachbum recipe), 1/4 oz simple syrup (and mint from the backyard!).

This is a very nice Mai Tai, but I think I've been spoiled with the versions with aged agricole. So it did not quite satisfy my craving the way I was hoping it would. Still I like this rum very much.

16571592344_cea49082bc_z.jpg

• Hassouni likes this

#390 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

Tonight I tried leaving the Lost Spirits Navy Style out of my mai tai and replacing it with an extra ounce of S&C.  I found the drink was lacking body, so I stirred in a pour of Lost Spirits with no regrets.

For reference my working recipe is:

1 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 oz S&C

1 oz Lost Spirits Navy Style

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

1 oz lime