Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Ice cream & Sorbet recipes and tips

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#31 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:52 PM

if anyone has used one of the Euro Pro machines I would love to see a report of how well they work.
2317/5000

#32 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 05:38 PM

Foodman, can you post your orange blossom ice cream?

Schielke, can you post your blue cheese ice cream and fig compote, and your pineapple maple? Maybe the chocolate malt too, but if you get tired, the first two REALLY interest me.

You are all entirely too brilliant. Thanks for all of the information.

#33 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:31 PM

Blue Cheese Ice Cream:
The texture of this one was really luscious and remained smooth and crystal-free for several days in the freezer.

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs corn syrup
4 oz. blue cheese (the Australian stuff we used was really good, but for this I would recommend Stilton for it's mild, rich flavor)

blend together cheese and corn syrup util smooth (immersion blender is great for this) - set aside.

bring milk and cream to a boil. whisk together egg yolks and sugar and slowly whisk in some of the hot cream to temper. pour eggs into cream mixture and continue to cook over medium heat until thickened slightly and it coats the back of a spoon (like creme anglais). Off heat whisk cheese and syrup into hot custard until smooth, then strain through fine sieve into a bowl. chill until very cold and process in ice cream maker.

The fig compote was kind of made up along the lines of:
roughly chop a couple handfulls of dried mission figs. put them in a sauce pan with ruby port and red wine to almost cover. add a couple Tbs of sugar (or less, depending on how much port you use), half a stick of cinnamon, half a star anise, a couple strips of orange zest with a clove stuck in one, and maybe 10 black pepper corns. simmer until the figs are soft, but not falling apart and the liquid reduces and gets syrupy.

As for the maple-pineapple ice cream, I thought the flavor was really good, but I would like to work on the recipe to improve the texture. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

#34 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:59 PM

Thanks, nightscotsman. Promise you'll get back on the pineaple issue?

#35 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:30 PM

Sorry for taking to so long, but I've finally fixed the texture issues of the pineapple-maple ice cream. Here is the revised recipe:

Maple Poached Pineapple:
1/2 a ripe pineapple
1 cup maple syrup (I used grade A dark amber)

Cut off pineapple skin and eyes, slice in quarters lengthwise. Remove woody core and slice each quarter in half vertically. Cut each slice into 1/2 inch chunks. Bring maple syrup to boil in heavy saucepan. Add half of the pineapple and bring back to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep, stirring occasionally, until cool. Drain pineapple well and reserve liquid. Refrigerate pineapple and syrup separately. (if you like, you can use 2 cups of syrup and poach all the pineapple - it's really good over waffles or pancakes, or just eaten right out of the container)

Pineapple-Maple Ice Cream:
1/2 coarsely chopped TOASTED pecans
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1-1/4 cups maple poaching liquid from above
1-1/2 cups poached pineapple from above

Put poaching liquid in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce syrup to 1/2 cup then add cream. This may cause the syrup to solidify - just continue to heat and stir until everything is melted together. When mixture is smooth, remove from heat and add milk. Chill thoroughly.

When you are ready to process the ice cream, cut pineapple into 1/2 inch cubes and put in a container large enough to hold finished ice cream - place in freezer to chill. Process the cream mixture in ice cream maker to the consistency of soft ice cream. spoon into container with pineapple, add chopped pecans and stir together. Freeze until firm.

#36 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 01:53 PM

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

You like grade A? I heard that B was better. Is there a thread?

Edit: I just searched, and there's no specific thread (title), and six pages of threads to go through. Sigh....

Edited by elyse, 02 March 2003 - 02:08 PM.

#37 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:59 PM

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

You like grade A?  I heard that B was better.  Is there a thread?

Edit:  I just searched, and there's no specific thread (title), and six pages of threads to go through.  Sigh....

Normally I like grade B, but I only had grade A at the time. I think in this case the grade B might overpower the pineapple flavor, but I would still used it if that's what you have. Personally, I think the lighter amber varieties in both grades are too wimpy.

I don't think we've done a maple syrup thread here. Why don't you go ahead and start one?

#38 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:42 PM

Honestly, I feel like I ask too many dumb questions already. But I will in a sec. Inquiring minds want to know!

Good reasons for the grade A. Thank you once again. How did you like the Chocolate Malt IC? Worth sharing the love?

#39 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:53 PM

Here is nightscotsman's recipe for Pineapple-Maple Ice Cream. It's now in the recipe archive.

nsm - Feel free to edit it in the archive if my cut and paste job is not to your liking.
Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

#40 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 04:03 PM

Speaking of machines--what are you all using? Ben? I have seen a self-contained cooling unit down around $200 as well--Euro Pro was the model I believe.  It used to be you had to spend $500-600 for a decent home model.

I just posted about this in the Mango Sorbet thread, but it seems equally appropriate here. For those wanting a high-end ice cream machine for the home (or for small catering operations, as an Amazon reviewer said she was), there's one similar to the one we own on Amazon now. It is the Simac #4050 Il Gelataio Magnum. They have it listed for $400, but it is currently in with the Gold Box offers for $372, with free shipping. So, if you are interested, click the link to see it listed on Amazon. Of course, I can't guarantee that it will come up if you look at your Gold Box offers (click the treasure chest in the upper right hand corner of the Amazon screen), but $400 with free shipping seems like a decent price for this machine (I'm still glad ours was a hand-me-down). The only difference between this and the model we own seems to be a timer.

Posted Image

#41 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 04:09 PM

One of the tastiest things I've tried lately was a small scoop of Bloody Mary sorbet atop a Kumamoto oyster on the half shell. Yummmmmm....

I served an Apple-Rosemary sorbet as the intermezzo at my wedding reception. That went over pretty well too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#42 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:18 PM

How did you like the Chocolate Malt IC?  Worth sharing the love?

The chocolate malt ice cream was rich and creamy, and while very good, I have to admit that when we tasted it, Ben and I looked at each other and said "Wendy's Frosty!" By the way, we got the recipe from Nancy Silvertion's "Desserts" book, which is now back in print, but only available from Jessica's Biscuit.

#43 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:28 PM

How did you like the Chocolate Malt IC?  Worth sharing the love?

The chocolate malt ice cream was rich and creamy, and while very good, I have to admit that when we tasted it, Ben and I looked at each other and said "Wendy's Frosty!" By the way, we got the recipe from Nancy Silvertion's "Desserts" book, which is now back in print, but only available from Jessica's Biscuit.

While I can be pretty low-brow, I've never had a Wendy's Frosty. Now I feel I should. Did you use malted milk or liquid malt?

#44 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 12:42 AM

While I can be pretty low-brow, I've never had a Wendy's Frosty.  Now I feel I should.  Did you use malted milk or liquid malt?

We used Horlicks malt powder. Here are the ingredients:

10 oz milk chocolate
8 egg yolks (told ya it was rich)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup malt powder
2 Tbsp Bailey's Irish Cream

Make a custard as usual from the cream, milk, malt powder and eggs. While still hot pour over the chocolate and stir to melt and blend. Chill and add Bailey's. Process.

#45 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 03:15 PM

Instead of trolling away for tips and recipes for HubUK David--in turn to reprint on your website--why don't you just put a link on your site to the discussions here--your readers will find that alot more helpful than a recipe anyway, especially JD's thoughtful commentary. And you're welcome to share some of your own efforts with your new machine here as well.

JD--a Pacojet doesn't cost a small fortune for a pro--in fact, I bought two PacoJets for a restaurant for less than the price of the smallest commercial batch freezer--i.e. a Coldelite or a Taylor.  It's very accessible and less expensive, actually, for a small restaurateur or caterer or affluent home enthusiast.  Especially if you factor in its savory applications which the best chefs are using it for all the time. I also hear a home model of the PacoJet is now available in Europe with some plastic components and a smaller beaker size but for alot less money.  Might be worth it for you Europeans to check it out, certainly if you'd like to make a good olive oil ice cream--it's much easier in a Paco. And re: sorbets--you might find it interesting to know that many pastry chefs use their Pacos for ice creams only and still make sorbets in a batch freezer. So, too, some ice cream flavors, like caramel just seem to work better in a batch freezer.  You can't get the right flavor and texture in a Paco due to the sugar content.

Ben, yes, I also feel a really good chocolate sorbet--made with chocolate not cocoa powder exclusively-- can taste better and more immediate than a chocolate ice cream.

can anyone tell me how much those extra canisters for Paco-Jets usually cost?
2317/5000

#46 Katherine

Katherine
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 04:59 PM

I posted a recipe here eons ago for habanero granita, but I didn't find it on a search.

#47 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:20 PM

Katherine:

here is a link to your thread on this Habanero granita

and here is a link recipe in the archive

It's classified as Ice cream because we do not have a sorbet category :smile:
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#48 Clerkenwellian

Clerkenwellian
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 07:03 AM

some lovely person just gave me a Magimix Le Glacier ice cream maker (the 1.5l version) - would be really grateful for recipes or tips anyone might have.

(and apologies if there's previously been a thread on this - my meagre searching skills may have missed it)

#49 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 07:22 AM

Make basic vanilla first to get used to it...

Savoury icecreams are the lastest fad, easy and delicous

Avocado icecream
Roast Onion Icecream
Grain Mustard icecream (with cabbage dishes especially)
Tomato sorbet

#50 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:37 AM

I have a recommendation for a recipe.
I like to make homemade ice cream on summer holidays (using the old-fashioned outdoor ice cream maker) and have been searching for a great vanilla ice cream recipe that didn't include eggs. I'd tried many cooked egg-based recipes but was disappointed since they all seemed to come out tasting like vanilla pudding. I tried non-cooked egg ice cream recipes and stopped making them when I found bits of frozen yolk on the paddle.
But I found a winner: This past July 4th, I downloaded Alton Brown's "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream" from the FoodNetwork web site and was ecstatic with the results. There are no eggs in the recipe. It's a little pricey since it does call for a real vanilla bean, but it was worth every penny. You heat the mixture until it reaches 170°. Then let it cool to room temperature and then refrigerate it overnight before churning.
The end result was a smooth, light and very intense vanilla ice cream, almost as if you had blended whip cream with vanilla ice cream. A sensuous soft serve ice cream, if you will. You're supposed to let it "ripen" (harden) in the freezer but I thought it lost a lot of its charm once it was frozen.
You can find the recipe here:
Alton Brown's "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#51 LEdlund

LEdlund
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:19 AM

Tell me about the peach preserves in the recipe: Can you taste it? How does it change the consistancy? What do you think would happen if I left them out?
Practice Random Acts of Toasting

#52 Busboy

Busboy
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 11:14 AM

I was fortunate to get a piece published in recently on making ice creams and sorbets. It's no longer available for free on the Post website (though well worth the $1.75 it costs to fetch it from the archives) (maybe) but, if you'd like, I can probably e-mail it through e-gullet or possibly post it here somehow. In the mean time, here's one of the recipe's they didn't print. It's probably slightly complicated for a first atempt, but once you get a creme anglais down (or if you already have it down) it's pretty simple.

Lavender-Mascarpone Ice Cream with Poached Fruit

Voltaire said: “ice cream is exquisite – what a pity it isn’t illegal.” If the food police have their way, though, the following recipe may well end up banned. Until then, enjoy the richest – and yet most delicately flavored – recipe I know. Serving sizes can be adjusted down.

For the ice cream:

5 large eggs yolks (6 if using organic eggs, which usually run smaller)
250 gm container mascarpone
1 cup Milk
½ cup cream
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup honey
1 sprig fresh lavender
1 tsp vanilla

Mix milk and cream, add lavender, and bring to a boil. Taste the mixture occasionally as it heats – lavender varies in intensity and can easily overwhelm the ice cream. As soon as the flavor becomes distinct, but still understated, remove the lavender.

While the milk-cream mixture is heating, beat sugar and honey into the egg yolks until the sugar dissolves.

Pour the boiling milk/cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking as you do. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir continuously over low heat or a double boiler until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, or reaches 170 degrees. This may take 10-15 minutes.

Pour into a bowl set in an ice bath and chill to room temperature.

Whisk the mascarpone in until fully blended.

Strain the mixture into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Freeze according to your machine’s manufacturer’s instructions, scoop into a chilled bowl and place in the freezer 1-2 hours to harden.

Yield: 6 servings (about 3 cups)

For the poached fruit:

1 bottle fruity white wine
3/4 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cloves
2 partially ripened pears or other fruit, pealed and halved

Combine all ingredients save the fruit in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.

Add the fruit, simmer gently until fruit softens to taste.

Remove from heat, allow fruit to sit in the liquid until serving time. Reheat gently if desired.
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

#53 JohnnyH

JohnnyH
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:21 PM

I have a recommendation for a recipe.
I like to make homemade ice cream on summer holidays (using the old-fashioned outdoor ice cream maker) and have been searching for a great vanilla ice cream recipe that didn't include eggs.  I'd tried many cooked egg-based recipes but was disappointed since they all seemed to come out tasting like vanilla pudding.  I tried non-cooked egg ice cream recipes and stopped making them when I found bits of frozen yolk on the paddle.
But I found a winner:  This past July 4th, I downloaded Alton Brown's "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream" from the FoodNetwork web site and was ecstatic with the results.  There are no eggs in the recipe.  It's a little pricey since it does call for a real vanilla bean, but it was worth every penny.  You heat the mixture until it reaches 170°.  Then let it cool to room temperature and then refrigerate it overnight before churning.
The end result was a smooth, light and very intense vanilla ice cream, almost as if you had blended whip cream with vanilla ice cream.  A sensuous soft serve ice cream, if you will.  You're supposed to let it "ripen" (harden) in the freezer but I thought it lost a lot of its charm once it was frozen.
You can find the recipe here:
Alton Brown's "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream"

Thanks for the heads up on this. We just got an ice cream maker also, and have kind of crapped out on the three batches we've made so far.
"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."
-- Albert Ellis

#54 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 03:03 PM

Tell me about the peach preserves in the recipe: Can you taste it? How does it change the consistancy? What do you think would happen if I left them out?

Ah, if you omitted the preserves then you'd miss the joy of science in the ice cream...at least, according to Alton Brown:
Transcript of Alton Brown's "Churn Baby Churn" episode
Click on the above link and then scroll down to the text box just above SCENE 4. In it he explains why he added the preserves in the first place.
No, you cannot taste the peach preserves in the final ice cream. Did it really change the consistency of the final recipe? I have no idea. I just know that the final outcome was a whipped, creamy concoction of some delicious "serious" vanilla ice cream.
If you do decide to follow the recipe (and I would recommend doing so the first time just so you have a proverbial "yardstick" to measure with), be aware that any pieces of peach from the preserves that find their way into the ice cream won't dissolve away when cooked. If they bother you, just strain the mixture with a sieve, after cooking it, as you pour it into your ice cream maker's canister to remove any remaining chunks of fruit. We ended up serving the ice cream on my Mom's hot, freshly made peach cobbler so it was a moot point anyway!
Oh, and I doubled the ice cream recipe for my outdoor canister, which holds 4 quarts, and it still didn't make it up to the "Fill" line. I went ahead and let it churn a little longer than I should have until the ice cream touched the inside of the top of the lid. I'm sure the extra added air in the final volume added to the sinful sumptuousness of the ice cream.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#55 gsquared

gsquared
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:40 AM

Having an ice cream machine, it is just plain crazy to allow the summer to wilt away without making fruit ices, given the abundance of soft fruit. Here is one (courtesy of Hal McGee's tables)

Sweet Mango fruit ice:
Cut up ripe mangos into smallish pieces and put in a blender. Blend, adding a tablespoon or two water to get the process going.
To each 1.5 cups of mango, add 9 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. The sugar may seem excessive, but trust the HM table- the ice will seem much less sweet on the palate once frozen, and will remain beautifully scoopable even after days in the freezer.
Churn.

This was the first fruit ice I tried in my Gelato, and since then I have been hooked. Winter down here, though, so we wait........
Gerhard Groenewald
www.mesamis.co.za
Wilderness

#56 Clerkenwellian

Clerkenwellian
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:18 AM

thank you all for the suggestions.

Unfortunately my first attempt at using the thing was a dismal failure: instead of strawberry icecream I ended up with cold strawberry milkshake. I suspect the freezer isn't cold enough, but have stuck a thermometer in and will check later.

Has anyone else had any difficulties using the Magimix Glacier thingy?

#57 gsquared

gsquared
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:50 AM

Is the Magimix one of those that you put the container in the freezer? If so, was it in there for long enough - 10-12 hours?
Gerhard Groenewald
www.mesamis.co.za
Wilderness

#58 Busboy

Busboy
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:58 AM

Unfortunately my first attempt at using the thing was a dismal failure: instead of strawberry icecream I ended up with cold strawberry milkshake. I suspect the freezer isn't cold enough, but have stuck a thermometer in and will check later.

When did you put the insert in the freezer? I don't have the same brand of freezer you do, but most of them say you need to freeze the insert for a full 24 hours before use. I've tried popping them in in the morning and making dessert in the evening, and that is not enough time.

Better luck on your next attempt!
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

#59 Rhea_S

Rhea_S
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:47 AM

I just have a cheap Cuisinart ice cream maker, but I've had good results. I freeze the container for at least two days and I chill my custard/ice cream base at least overnight if not a full 24 hours. The resulting ice cream, straight from the machine, is usually quite soft -- like mousse. I transfer it to a plastic container and put in the freezer for an hour or so and it firms up perfectly. Hope that helps.

#60 JFLinLA

JFLinLA
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:56 AM

When did you put the insert in the freezer? I don't have the same brand of freezer you do, but most of them say you need to freeze the insert for a full 24 hours before use. I've tried popping them in in the morning and making dessert in the evening, and that is not enough time.

Better luck on your next attempt!

I also found that I had to lower the temp a bit on my freezer to get the canister cold enough. I have no idea why it was set where it was.
So long and thanks for all the fish.