Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Macarons – The delicate French invention.

French

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
434 replies to this topic

#421 Lisa2k

Lisa2k
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:44 AM

Oh, Lisa! Those look really good! Even the cinnamon ones look better than before!

I am now having problems with both french and italian. They are as hard as rock and almost cut your gums :oO

230 is 110 celsius, right? Well, I used to use 244 and it worked really well before suddenly giving me lop sided feet and crusty macarons. Then I switched to  230 and it worked, and as u know, it suddenly went crazy.

I also dont like ther distinct line and seperation between the feet and the shell of italian meringue macarons. A lot of people don't get that, but I do. Strange :o(

View Post

Thanks, Amrita..I'm getting a tiny bit closer each time, but I've got a LONG way to go! This trial and error deal is kind of a pain, especially when everything goes right as far as the flow of the batter and how they settle on the sheet pan.. and then they come out of the oven lopsided or with big feet..OR not enough or too much puff/dome on top. I look at so many photos of macarons on Flickr, and I'm just dying to get them to look like those, including yours!

As for celsius and all kinds of conversions, I'm so awful at that! I use online converters a lot, but they give me such crazy numbers sometimes, I just give up and weigh or guess temps..lol I also don't like the separation between the cookie and the foot, but naturally, I get that more often than not. :(
Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."
Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

#422 Lisa2k

Lisa2k
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Lisa,

those macs look pretty good, what kind of filling are you using ?
Is it firm or soft ? I see you really packed them with filling :)

View Post

Lenny, like I said above, I'm not quite there yet, but thanks for the nice compliment.

As for the fillings, I use all kinds of chocolate ganaches, jams/jellies/preserves, buttercreams, caramel, and curds..sometimes even combining some, so there's a 'surprise' in the middle. Even a firm mousse or fruit compote makes a great filling. I think pretty much anything goes with these, depending on your imagination. :) A friend of mine did a basic almond, and filled it with warm brie and fig paste. They were delicious!

The fillings in the above macs, are bittersweet chocolate ganache for the chocolate, which I overfilled for my guy, since they were just test macs. The cinnamon macs are filled with a cinnamon swiss meringue buttercream, but in this case, I overfilled them to make the macs look more even for these photos.. because they were so lopsided.. AND, to distract one's eyes away from the gigantic feet! LOL

When I finally succeed in getting the perfect, aesthetically pleasing macaron, I won't be overloading them with filling! :)
Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

#423 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

hi,

has anyone heard about the Patis'Macaron product from patisfrance. its a kind of "all in" macaron mix, i tried a few made with it at the europain fair, they were pretty darn good. all you do is mix 1000g of product with 200g water, mix and your good to go....
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#424 AmritaBala

AmritaBala
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:43 AM

hi,

has anyone heard about the Patis'Macaron product from patisfrance. its a kind of "all in" macaron mix, i tried a few made with it at the europain fair, they were pretty darn good. all you do is mix 1000g of product with 200g water, mix and your good to go....

View Post

That is the coolest thing I've seen in months, haha!!!! :o) thanks!

ANYWAY, pierre Herme is in town, people! For the world Gourmet Summit. I tried to get into his masterclass but I was too late. It was fully booked! I decided to go there anyway, in case I could see him and get him to autograph some books and take a photo with me (Yes, I carried 8 kilos worth of books around with me!!)

Anyway, no luck there. I waited for 2 hours and I didn't even catch a glimpse. I then went to the hotel where he's staying, and yet again, I was too late. He checked out earlier in the morning. They are still selling his desserts, though.

If it is any consolation, the girls @ the Restaurant gave me a menu which PH had autographed. Sigh. Obesession makes a person do such strange things, LOL!

#425 Lisa2k

Lisa2k
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

OK..my mission to get a perfectly shaped macaron with a nice shell and good feet, is getting better, demonstrated by the Vanilla macarons filled with orange curd, below. What could have made a difference, is that this time I baked them at 325 for 6 minutes, then turned the pan completely around, and let them go for another 5 minutes. These were made with french meringue. I call them 'reverse' creamsicles..lol Some of them had a little bittersweet chocolate ganache surprise in the middle, but they were eaten before I could snap some photos of them split in half.

Posted Image

However, on the flip side..I'm having so much trouble making pure pistachio macarons using all pistachio meal in the TPT instead of almond meal. They taste delicious, but turn out horrible in all aesthetic aspects, as you can see below, especially when compared to the Vanilla-Orange macaron.

Posted Image

I just don't get it. The batter was perfect, and settled nicely without any peaks or too much spreading. Here's a photo of them drying. I usually let them dry anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the weather.

Posted Image

Maybe it's because I use ALL pistachio meal in the TPT instead of combining some of it with almond meal? Maybe there's a different texture and/or oiliness to pistachios? I grind them to a fine powder just like the almonds (although I did use already ground almond meal in the vanilla-orange macs, and ground them down even more with the icing sugar).

Regardless, I've seen people on the net (blogs mostly) have great success using all pistachio meal, as they turn out beautiful. I don't want to just color the batter green and add pistachio flavoring, and then fill with pure pistachio paste, pure pistachio buttercream, or some form of ganache or gelee with pure pistachios mixed in. I want that really pure pistachio flavor in the cookie itself. However, even though they come out ugly, the flavor and texture is phenomenal. Now I just need to figure out a way to make them pretty. Any suggestions or ideas would be so helpful. :)

~Lisa~

#426 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

hi,

View Post

That's a wild product!

Edited by tan319, 23 April 2008 - 02:38 PM.

2317/5000

#427 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

OK..my mission to get a perfectly shaped macaron with a nice shell and good feet, is getting better, demonstrated by the Vanilla macarons filled with orange curd, below.  What could have made a difference, is that this time I baked them at 325 for 6 minutes, then turned the pan completely around, and let them go for another 5 minutes.  These were made with french meringue.  I call them 'reverse' creamsicles..lol  Some of them had a little bittersweet chocolate ganache surprise in the middle, but they were eaten before I could snap some photos of them split in half.

Posted Image

However, on the flip side..I'm having so much trouble making pure pistachio macarons using all pistachio meal in the TPT instead of almond meal.  They taste delicious, but turn out horrible in all aesthetic aspects, as you can see below, especially when compared to the Vanilla-Orange macaron.

Posted Image

I just don't get it.  The batter was perfect, and settled nicely without any peaks or too much spreading.  Here's a photo of them drying.  I usually let them dry anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the weather.

Posted Image

Maybe it's because I use ALL pistachio meal in the TPT instead of combining some of it with almond meal?  Maybe there's a different texture and/or oiliness to pistachios?  I grind them to a fine powder just like the almonds (although I did use already ground almond meal in the vanilla-orange macs, and ground them down even more with the icing sugar). 

Regardless, I've seen people on the net (blogs mostly) have great success using all pistachio meal, as they turn out beautiful.  I don't want to just color the batter green and add pistachio flavoring, and then fill with pure pistachio paste, pure pistachio buttercream, or some form of ganache or gelee with pure pistachios mixed in.  I want that really pure pistachio flavor in the cookie itself.  However, even though they come out ugly, the flavor and texture is phenomenal.  Now I just need to figure out a way to make them pretty.  Any suggestions or ideas would be so helpful. :)

View Post

Most recipes with pistachio I've seen suggest a mix of almond & pistachio powdered.
Better luck next time!
2317/5000

#428 AmritaBala

AmritaBala
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Lisa, they dont look THHHAT bad!!!!!

When I do peanut macarons, I use 100% ground peanuts, but that's cos I can actually find ground peanuts, which isn't the case with pistachios over here. Do you grind your own pistachios?

I would try 50/50 next time :D....I should try them out too...well, I'll have to spend some time grinding first before I can do that! =op

#429 lennyk

lennyk
  • participating member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:54 AM

what kind of grinder do you guys use ?
I use a kitchenaid coffee grinder, works better than the previous grinder I had
it also helps a lot if you toast the almond meal gently to dry them more

#430 iii_bake

iii_bake
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:23 AM

hi,

View Post

I went to the Food exhibition here in Singapore and found this Patisfrance Macaron. The chef was Demo-ing and it took 4 minutes to whip up. I had one mac he made...it was great....chewy...not that sweet.
The chef said..the company is the first to make this and one good point is that it is not as sweet as the make your own version.

Amritabala...have u gone there?
You can PM me if you need more info.

Edited by iii_bake, 24 April 2008 - 05:23 AM.

#431 Lisa2k

Lisa2k
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Lisa, they dont look THHHAT bad!!!!!

When I do peanut macarons, I use 100% ground peanuts, but that's cos I can actually find ground peanuts, which isn't the case with pistachios over here. Do you grind your own pistachios?

I would try 50/50 next time :D....I should try them out too...well, I'll have to spend some time grinding first before I can do that! =op

View Post

Aww..thanks. Amrita, but truth be told, that one pistachio macaron in the photo is ONLY one that came out decent enough to even use in the photo! Trust me when I say you wouldn't want to see the other ones!

Also..thanks to you and tan for pointing out that it's best to use a 50-50 ratio of almond meal and pistachio meal. I'm hoping it works, as pistachio is not only one of my favorites, but seems to be a popular choice among many.

I always grind my nuts to a fine powder. When I use prepackaged almond meal, I just grind it in the robocoupe witn the icing sugar, since it's already pretty fine, but lenny - I do use a coffee grinder to get the pistachios to a powder, or when I'm grinding my own almonds, perfectly demonstrated by the 'step forward' with the vanilla-orange curs macs. However, I guess it was the ground pistachios 'alone' that made the 'ugly' difference. I can't wait to try it with both meals. Once again, I'll report back.

Oh, one more thing..I've never dried out my almond meal prior to mixing with the icing sugar..whether it be toasting or in a low oven.. at all. Does it really make that much of a difference? It feels pretty dry to me, even after grinding. Then again, no doubt the ground, toasted almonds just add another dimesnsion of flavor to the cookie. I usually toast nuts in other recipes, to bring out more of their flavor, especially in cookies.

~Lisa~

#432 AmritaBala

AmritaBala
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

hi,

View Post

I went to the Food exhibition here in Singapore and found this Patisfrance Macaron. The chef was Demo-ing and it took 4 minutes to whip up. I had one mac he made...it was great....chewy...not that sweet.
The chef said..the company is the first to make this and one good point is that it is not as sweet as the make your own version.

Amritabala...have u gone there?
You can PM me if you need more info.

View Post

iibake, no I didn't go there and I don't plan on attending, lol! =op

I seem to have bought everything they have there on amazon already, silly me!

One more thing, was the macaron powder pure or did it have any preservatives in it ? :o) Hope you enjoyed your time there!

#433 iii_bake

iii_bake
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

iibake, no I didn't go there and I don't plan on attending, lol! =op

I seem to have bought everything they have there on amazon already, silly me!

One more thing, was the macaron powder pure or did it have any preservatives in it ? :o) Hope you enjoyed your time there!

View Post

The company says it stresses on natural ingredients...i have not checked the package out...but from what the chef said, it's natural.
One kg can make 100 macs.
It is faster, more reliable and so less cost.
I have tried macarons from many shops in many countries i went...i had to admit this one from the ready made is almost flawless. ( i had just one it was so good it did not take time to find the flaw!)

#434 Lisa2k

Lisa2k
  • participating member
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

Well..considering I've been baking several batches a week, I think I'm getting a little closer to how they should look. That said, I had this sudden craving for a Mojito last night, but no fresh mint..so, since my head has been filled with macarons for over a month now, I decided to make a Mojito macaron.

Posted Image

Lime zest was added to macaron batter along with an OD of green gel color (one drop came out as a blob, much to my surprise). Once they were baked and cooled, the underside of each cookie was brushed with a white rum simple syrup, then filled with a light Creme de Menthe Blanche buttercream. It wasn't a Mojito, but it definitely satisfied the craving :)

~Lisa~

#435 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

This Macaron Topic has been closed to future posts in order to maintain a useful and orderly body of knowledge. We have created the following index to help you access and navigate information within this topic. Posts of your macaron successes can be made in the Your Daily Sweets topic. Questions or comments regarding macaron techniques that are not addressed in this closed topic can be made HERE in this new macaron topic. We ask, however, that you carefully review the closed topic before posting a new question.

To assist you in searching the existing topic, if the Index does not show the question that you have, please use the search feature within the topic itself.

NOTE: In order to best utilize this index, click the link related to your topic of interest, be patient as images load, and then use the shown reply as the starting point. There will be numerous replies following each specific reply related to the topic highlighted in the index.

Recipes
JGarner's recipe *Most requested and reported recipe
Herme (modified)
Another Herme recipe
Herme ala deBord
PH10 Recipe
Raspberry filled macarons with anise pastry cream
Opinions on most reliable recipe

Technique
General
Best Tips 1
Best Tips 2