Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Watermelon Sorbet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:42 AM

OK, the watermelon is deseeded, pureed & strained. I have Lemons, Persian and Key Limes in the house. Sugar, check. Corn Syrup, check. Water, obviously. I've found several recipes on the internet and am amazed at how different the proportions are. I'm not averse to adding some alcholol either. Here are some ingredient lists:

Recipe #1
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 cups pureed watermelon (I think this is supposed to be 2 lbs, because it later says to "add 3 cups of watermelon puree...")
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Recipe #2
2 1/2   lb           Watermelon (2 cups when deseeded & pureed)
    1       c            Sugar -- minus 1 tablespoon
    2       tb           Lemon juice
    1       tb           Vodka

Recipe #3 - from the National Watermelon Board
1/2 medium watermelon, sliced lengthwise
1 (6 ounce) can frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed and undiluted
1 (15 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1/2 cup sugar
Fresh mint sprigs for garnish

Recipe #4 (with Lime)
1 quart         Watermelon pulp
1/3  cup           Sugar
2 T Lime juice

Some others suggested adding beaten egg whites, but I don't want to go that route. This will be served alongside Watermelon Ice Cream with Chocolate Seeds, so I don't want the sherbet consistancy. But, I don't want the finished product to be a rock hard ice either. Which recipe would you choose, how would you modify it? I don't want to add geletin either and I think they all need a pinch of salt. TIA.

#2 MatthewB

MatthewB
  • legacy participant
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:49 AM

Recipe 4 w/ pinch of salt. If desired, use to make Watermelon Highballs--your choice of liquor.

Edit: grammar :blink:

Edited by MatthewB, 09 July 2003 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • participating member
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:51 AM

Rachel I make watermelon sorbetto from a Marcella Hazan recipe that was so good, but I can't remember at the moment which of her books it's in.

It was simple syrup, pureed watermelon, lemon. (And I'd second you on the pinchy-pinch of salt.) But the key was how she pointed out how the mixture doesn't taste like much of anything (very very subtley watermelony) until you add whatever citrus juice in critical mass ... it's like nothing, nothing, nothing ... WHAMMO! Superultrawatermelon.

Hmmm got the second half of a beautiful watermelon roosting in the fridge even as I type...

Priscilla

Twitter InstagramOCFoodNation.com Taste of Orange County, Orange Coast Magazine
In the Daily Gullet
: Vegetables, in a Soup

#4 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:54 AM

Side note: How do you store your leftover watermelon? I've taken to placing it (round end down) in a bowl, and covering with plastic wrap. I found that when storing the plastic wrapped watermelon on its side, the juice tended to leak on the fridge shelf. The plastic wrap also clings better to the bowl than the watermelon rind, so the cut edge stays fresher as well. (This is my fourth watermelon of the summer, so I've been experimenting.)

#5 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • participating member
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:02 AM

I seal the remaining half or quarter or whatever in a plastic bag. Occasionally we will pre-chunk and put in a refrigerator container with an air-tight lid.

Priscilla

Twitter InstagramOCFoodNation.com Taste of Orange County, Orange Coast Magazine
In the Daily Gullet
: Vegetables, in a Soup

#6 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:05 AM

Oh, I'll do that too if there's only a small amount left. But, since it's usually just the two of us eating that watermelon, it stays fresher longer if kept intact. I just keep slicing a couple inches off the top to cut up at a time.

#7 guajolote

guajolote
  • participating member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:09 AM

I'm going to make #4 tonight. Thanks for the great idea.

#8 bloviatrix

bloviatrix
  • participating member
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:10 AM

In order to keep your sorbet slightly soft and easy to scoop, you might want to add some alcohol (1 or 2 ounces) to whatever recipe you settle on to counteract the high water content of the watermelon puree.
"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

#9 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:23 AM

Hmm, maybe I'll use the chambord for the ice cream (see Problems with Ice Cream thread), and the Passoa for the sorbet. Or would the flavor get lost if I use Lime and Mint, maybe I should just use a little vodka?

Blo - how much alcohol per quart of puree?

#10 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

Are you making this for Saturday? :wub:

#11 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:20 PM

Yes.

Here's my current working recipe, which should yield about 1 qt. Any more comments before I make it?

Watermelon Sorbet

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 handful of whole Mint leaves
1/4 tsp salt
Citrus: Juice and finely grated zest of 1 Lemon, 2 Limes or 3 Key Limes
3 cups pureed watermelon flesh (seeded & strained)
1 T Rum (if using Limes) or Vodka (if using Lemon)

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir until it boils. Reduce heat, add mint leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain out mint leaves, add salt and citrus zest, then refrigerate. Add watermelon and citrus juice to the cold syrup mixture. Freeze in ice cream machine until of a soft consistency. Spoon into air tight container and firm in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

#12 MatthewB

MatthewB
  • legacy participant
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:32 PM

Limes rather than lemons.

Why the corn syrup?

#13 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:38 PM

Limes rather than lemons.

Why the corn syrup?

I'm planning on using Key Limes. I just figured, for posting the recipe, that I'd specify options.

Re: Corn Syrup - From the Problems with Ice Cream thread:

Just tasted it after a few hours hardening in the freezer. It got quite firm, probably due to the low overrun. I think 20 minutes in the fridge before serving will be necessary. It is a little icy, but no big ice crystals. I stored in pint & half pint containers, so I don't think there's too much danger of the melting/refreeze ice crystals forming. :raz:

try adding a little corn syrup next time to the mix you heat.
It might help the ice cream not get so hard and will help stop the formation of ice crystals.

#14 MatthewB

MatthewB
  • legacy participant
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:41 PM

Ahhh, on the corn syrup.

Sounds like tasty stuff is coming up in your kitchen! :biggrin:

Enjoy.

#15 bloviatrix

bloviatrix
  • participating member
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:50 PM

Blo - how much alcohol per quart of puree?

The advice for adding alcohol to sorbets with high water content comes from David Lebovitz's Room for Dessert (p.107). He says you can add or eliminate it according to taste, but his standard seems to be 2 tablespoons/quart for vodka and 1/4 cup/quart for champagne.
"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

#16 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:59 PM

Does the mint go in for the entire mixing, or at the end?

#17 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:08 PM

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir until it boils. Reduce heat, add mint leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain out mint leaves, add salt and citrus zest, then refrigerate. Add watermelon and citrus juice to the cold syrup mixture. Freeze in ice cream machine until of a soft consistency. Spoon into air tight container and firm in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

See bold.

I have added this to RecipeGullet, click here.

#18 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:09 PM

Der. Sorry!

#19 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 07:56 PM

Rachel,
I was going to suggest using Absolut Citron for your vodka.
BTW, if you're really into this sorbet thing, a pese de sirop will blow your mind.
You can pick one up at JB Prince next time you're in the city. It's been discussed in the forum before on one of the sorbet and ice cream threads, it will cost you around 20 to 40 bucks and it will help you make your stuff fantastic all the time as pertaining to the consistancy of your mix.
One of my chefs can't believe how great the sorbets scoop,etc.
I didn't have any puree's this morning for a sorbet so I made a 'Ginger Lime Ricky' one with ginger infused simple syrup, lime juice and some spanish cava.
Used my 'pese' to adjust the baume and the stuff spun like a wonder!
Not trying to get scientific on you, just thought you might be interested :biggrin:
Hope your sorbet turned out groovy!
2317/5000

#20 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:07 PM

Damn! Now I'm tempted to make some sorbet too, just to have a taste-off.

Naw, I can't possibly steal Rachel's thunder. Besides, . . . well, I just want to taste hers! Sounds sooooo good. :biggrin:

What about Bacardi Limon? Maybe I'll get some to pour over?

#21 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:13 PM

I'm more of a purist, I wouldn't use mint or citrus zest in a watermelon sorbet. They would over power the watermelon, too much for me.

Love the idea of Absolut Citron!

O.k. please tell me more about this "pese de sirop" I'm not familar with it? If it adjusts the baume why don't you just make a denser syrup? It makes me think of corn syrup...............

#22 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,484 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:16 PM

Actually instead of Absolut Citron we are going to use Cruzan Citrus Rum -- combined with the lime it should give it that sorta Mojito flavor.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#23 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:27 PM

Actually instead of Absolut Citron we are going to use Cruzan Citrus Rum -- combined with the lime it should give it that sorta Mojito flavor.

Cool.
It seems the rum would kind of take away from the watermelon taste but heck, who knows?
Hope it turns out great! :biggrin:
2317/5000

#24 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:08 PM

Rachel:

When this is finished, and assuming the recipe comes out as wonderfully as it sounds, would you be so kind as to post the finished recipe (and/or tweaked recipe) in the Archives for the rest of us?

I can't wait to hear how this turned out and know I'll be able to find it later when I know I'll want to make it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#25 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 07:39 PM

I already posted it and linked to it above, but here's the link again: Watermelon Sorbet.

I used a combination of Key Lime & Persian Lime and the Cruzan Citrus Rum. I think the sorbet would be fine with either the Lemon or the Lime, but not the Key Limes, they're a little bitter and a pain to juice. It's been in the deep freeze for several hours and is still of scoopable texture, so hopefully it won't go rock hard by Saturday.

The mint is really very subtle. The sorbet could use more to bring it up to the barely noticable level, but I wouldn't go subbing in mint extract. That would be too obvious, better to leave it out if you don't have any or aren't sure about using it.

#26 elion_84

elion_84
  • participating member
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

I was looking for a watermelon sorbet recipe and found this one on RecipeGullet. I had a piece of a nice watermelon from the farmers market, so I made it last night. Well, the resulting sorbet is way too sweet. It got a little better after sitting in the freezer overnight, but still the cloying sweet aftertaste is these.

Is it supposed to be very sweet? Can I un-sweeten the sorbet I have by adding more water and/or watermelon pure?

#27 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:03 AM

Some types of watermelon, like Sugar Babies, have a very high sugar content compared to some of the other kinds. Typically for this recipe we use regular large, seeded watermelons.

Some of the smaller unseeded watermelons are less sweet and thus make better candidates for this sorbet. You can tweak the recipe by adding more lime juice and cutting down on the amount of added syrup and sugar.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#28 slarochelle

slarochelle
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:28 AM

Good timing on bringing this thread back up, I've got a watermelon waiting to be turned into something.....

I have a question on the Watermelon Sorbet recipe though. What is meant by: "3 c pureed Watermelon flesh (seeded & strained) "

Is this it: I cut a big hunk of watermelon, it is seedless so no need to seed. Run it through the food processor, and put it in some cheese cloth to drain the liquid. Once drained, I'm looking for 3 cups of the remaining pulp/solid? That seemed strange to me, as I thought I saw other recipes that used the strained liquid and not the remaining pulp.

#29 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:33 AM

I have found that the addition of cinammon to watermelon and /or watermelon sorbet adds a nice touch. The flavors really go well together and make it a little more unique.
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#30 abooja

abooja
  • participating member
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

I made watermelon sorbet last night/this morning, from a recipe in The Perfect Scoop and it was bland as can be. This is likely my fault. I had some watermelon scrapings and juice left over from creating a watermelon basket and decided to use that watery stuff rather than waste perfectly good watermelon chunks that I'd rather just eat. The result was a watery, not-very-sweet-at-all concoction that scoops well and is very refreshing, but relatively tasteless.

Based on what I just read, however -- particularly from Priscilla about Marcella Hazan -- I wonder if using really sweet, juicy watermelon will really improve my end result unless I add much more than the one tablespoon of lime juice called for in the recipe.

Thoughts, anyone? Is watermelon sorbet really worth it, or should I stick to just eating the watermelon as is?