Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Putrid Pitches

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Varmint

Varmint
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:56 PM

Matthew-
Thanks for the Q&A session. We've heard about some of your successes with the Food Network. I'm curious to hear what were some show ideas that you saw or had pitched that were so bad, they were downright funny.
Dean McCord
VarmintBites

#2 mstillman

mstillman
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:23 AM

Matthew-
Thanks for the Q&A session.  We've heard about some of your successes with the Food Network.  I'm curious to hear what were some show ideas that you saw or had pitched that were so bad, they were downright funny.

Just as an opener...I was fired from the Food Network on October 11, 2000. My recollections and impressions are only from the time that I was gainfully employed at Food Network. I have no current knowledge of Food Network programming strategy or current business practices. These statements reflect my personal opinion only.

The general ideas that I will refer to were rejected by the entire programming staff of Food Network at the time I was there and were rejected in written form near to the time of their submission. I have no knowledge of any current programming in development. If these ideas in any way resemble current ideas in development at Food Network it is strictly coincidental...

ok. i feel i should vague here...

hirsuite gladiator. aphrodisiac cuisine. cardboard set. pilot was dead serious.

another was a simultaneously bilingual cooking show with a bilingial chef spanish guitar playing actress who guest starred on many episodes of "the love boat" and a famous former latenight television sidekick .

that was one that was so special. we kept that one around to watch. we used to howl at that one.

those two stand out.

i'll think if there are more...

#3 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:26 AM

Oh my god... Charo? Coochi Coochi? I'd pay to see that.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#4 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:41 PM

I'm supposing that there are MANY possibilities for "a bilingial chef spanish guitar playing actress who guest starred on many episodes of 'the love boat'". Er. Okay, I tried. I can't think of more.

"A famous former latenight television sidekick?" Hmm. That one intrigues me. Did this person also formerly host a really lame talent contest? :wink: Or was he the other one who went on to have a sitcom on FOX which got no airplay?
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#5 bilrus

bilrus
  • participating member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:15 PM

Not just Charro. Charro and Ed McMahon?!? :raz:
Bill Russell

#6 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:36 AM

Or Andy from Conan...good ol Andy
Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.
-Mario