Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your favorite hot/spicy snack?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 SheenaGreena

SheenaGreena
  • participating member
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but my favorite spicy snack is some kimchee flavored ramen that is eaten raw. I open the ramen bag, sprinkle the spice packet into the bag, close it, crush the noodles, then eat them. It's trashy, I know

I used to eat this more often when I was young.

I also like those japanese rice crackers that are shaped like little crescent moons and are slightly spicy.

green chile peppers dipped in go chu jang or doeng jang is also good
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

#62 stephenc

stephenc
  • participating member
  • 625 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but my favorite spicy snack is some kimchee flavored ramen that is eaten raw.  I open the ramen bag, sprinkle the spice packet into the bag, close it, crush the noodles, then eat them.  It's trashy, I know

that's some ghetto college steez right there.

These are my favorite potato chips. Compared to other jalapeno chips they're atomic. Almost impossible to find though.

Posted Image

#63 Lan4Dawg

Lan4Dawg
  • participating member
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

Spicy Mixed Nuts
Spicy Pork Rinds
Jalapeno Poppers
Salsa
Cajun Power Company's Red Pepper, Jalapeno, and Chipotle Pepper Jellies on crackers with cream cheese
Sardines packed with chilies
Pepperjack Cheese
Red Hots Candies
My own buffalo wings:

Sauce: Hot Sauce (like Franks, Louisiana or Texas Pete's) + Tabasco Sauce + Cayenne Pepper + Butter + (sometimes) smashed clove of garlic.  My lips actually get tingly and numb when I eat these, and that's a good thing. :wink:

View Post

my wings are similar but--and a hint--add some freshly grated ginger to the mix. That seriously perks things up!

No one has mentioned "scorpions": Shrimp & cream cheese stuffed jalepeno peppers that are then battered and fried (kind of like those "poppers" but w/ shrimp). Edited to add that they are called scorpions b/c they look like the little insects when they come out of the fryer--not to mention the sting.

Edited by Lan4Dawg, 26 June 2006 - 08:16 AM.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--
the best cat ever.

#64 Reefpimp

Reefpimp
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

These are my favorite potato chips.  Compared to other jalapeno chips they're atomic.  Almost impossible to find though.

Posted Image

View Post

I tried them once. I like a little bite to my snacks, but with those I didn't know what to taste besides pain.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

#65 ThatGrrl

ThatGrrl
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

stephenc, I love those Gibble's chips! You're right about them being hard to find, though. I sometimes substitute Utz Red Hot Potato Chips. Not quite of the volcanic magnitude of Gibbles, but close! Still makes the Kruncher Jalepeno Chips look tame, by comparison.

Unfortunately, I also like the really low-brow Flamin' Hot Cheetos. Can't say that my tastes are terribly cultured, where my spicy snacks are concerned. But I'd never turn down a wasabi pea. Yum!

#66 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

Doritos Fiery Habanero !
I was surprised they actually do have a tiny "heat" kick (I'm a chilehead so take that into account). Flaming Hot Cheetos are much hotter than these corn chips but I admire Frito Lay for giving them some sort of kick.
I normally can't stand the flavor of a habañero but, thankfully, these chips taste nothing like habañero.
Thumbs up!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#67 Bombdog

Bombdog
  • participating member
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

Tim's cascade wasabi potato chips.

Don't know if they still make them. I only found them a couple of times when I lived in Napa. I'm sure not going to find them in South Carolina!
Dave Valentin
Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler
"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.
"Got what backwards?" I ask.
"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

#68 ned

ned
  • participating member
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

Mama Zuma's.

OUCH!!!!
You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

#69 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

Blair's Death Rain Cajun Potato Chips

Wow. These chips provide some heat. I'm a chilehead and can tolerate most spicy foods and I have to say these chips pack quite a wallop. Just like the reviewer noted (see link above):

On first bite, there was some nice cajun taste but no major heat, but the heat did come along soon enough. The heat grew hotter and then lingered for quite a while....

The chips are not overly thick as some boutique (as opposed to major name brands) chips can be. Combined with the heat, they're a great spicy snack.

#70 emilyr

emilyr
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

They're not super hot, but I love wasabi peas.
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

#71 Octaveman

Octaveman
  • participating member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Crunchy Jalepeno Cheetoh's

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

#72 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

Blair's Death Rain Cajun Potato Chips

Wow. These chips provide some heat. I'm a chilehead and can tolerate most spicy foods and I have to say these chips pack quite a wallop. Just like the reviewer noted (see link above):

On first bite, there was some nice cajun taste but no major heat, but the heat did come along soon enough. The heat grew hotter and then lingered for quite a while....

The chips are not overly thick as some boutique (as opposed to major name brands) chips can be. Combined with the heat, they're a great spicy snack.

View Post

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn! That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

There are some great spicy snacks available HERE if anyone is looking for a new favorite.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#73 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn!  That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

View Post

Katie,
Thanks for posting the links.
Does the Habanero Seasoning taste like habaneros, or does the seasoning provide just heat? The reason I ask is that I don't like the flavor of habaneros but enjoy the heat.

#74 JSD

JSD
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

Tim's cascade wasabi potato chips.

Don't know if they still make them.  I only found them a couple of times when I lived in Napa.  I'm sure not going to find them in South Carolina!

View Post

These are my favorite, too. An added bonus is my teenage son doesn't like them, so he leaves them alone.

I buy them at Raley's. Don't know about S Carolina.

#75 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn!  That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

View Post

Katie,
Thanks for posting the links.
Does the Habanero Seasoning taste like habaneros, or does the seasoning provide just heat? The reason I ask is that I don't like the flavor of habaneros but enjoy the heat.

View Post

Mostly heat with a hint of the fruitiness of fresh habanero peppers. I use this stuff in almost everything. On popcorn, fresh corn on the cob, a pinch in a pot of soup to "wake it up", etc. And the tiniest little bit goes a pretty long way. I learned that lesson the hard way. This stuff is HOT. But good. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#76 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

This post and those responding to it have been moved from here.

Legal crack! The road to hell and all that....

I set out at once for the Korean health food store.  They had never heard of emping.  Next I tried the imported foods section of the grocery store.  No luck there either.  Finally amazon: Emping Pedas (Sweet Hot Padi Oats)

#77 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

I set out at once for the Korean health food store.  They had never heard of emping.  Next I tried the imported foods section of the grocery store.  No luck there either.  Finally amazon: Emping Pedas (Sweet Hot Padi Oats)

Well, if one noted the name of the stuff on the package that Anna N posted, one would see "Emping Manis Pedas", which is MALAY, not Korean.  :wink:

p.s. "Padi" is also a Malay word, meaning rice - as still growing on the plant in the field.**

p.p.s. "Emping"¶¶ (in older-style Malay, properly "ĕmping") itself means "young rice crushed and cooked" (Winstedt)

**ETA: versus "nasi", which would be "rice" after it has been harvested and processed (and cooked, in most contexts)

¶¶ Google translate gives it as "flakes" which is not quite right.

Edited by huiray, 29 May 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#78 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Heck Jo, I said they were addictive not healthy!
  • Dejah and Plantes Vertes like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#79 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Heck Jo, I said they were addictive not healthy!

Actually according to the wikipedia article rotuts posted it looks like emping are quite healthy...not counting the fat and sugar in the sweetened version.

Sadly, if it wasn't obvious, there is no Malay health food store in hiking distance.

Host's note:  this comment led to a discussion that continues here.

Edited by Smithy, 31 May 2014 - 05:24 PM.