Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Misc. minor questions . . .

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:17 AM

What kind of name is Sietsema, how is it pronounced, and are you related to Robert Sietsema of the Village Voice?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#2 Tom Sietsema

Tom Sietsema
  • legacy participant
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for asking! All too often, the way my name is (mis)pronounced makes it sound Spanish or Japanese. LOL

The correct pronunciuation is SEET-suh-ma. I'm German and Dutch.

I am only distantly related to Robert Sietsema, who I first met over a lunch in New York four or five years ago. His people stopped in Michigan, I believe; mine moved on to Minnesota. Odd, though, for two people with such unusual last names to share the same unusual occupation, no?

#3 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:29 AM

Very odd. Suspiciously odd!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#4 Tom Sietsema

Tom Sietsema
  • legacy participant
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 04:07 AM

People frequently confuse our bylines, or think we are the same person. (Robert is a good writer and knows his stuff, so I certainly don't have a problem with that!)