Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Time Life "Foods of the World" series

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#121 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Okay can someone explain the discrepancy?

On the Wiki page for Foods of the World they list two different Middle Eastern cookbooks

Cooking of the Middle East
and
Middle-Eastern Cooking

They have separate ASIN numbers too

B001D10D3Y
B000ZLZVWQ

Is this just accounting for the fact that it is a 2 book set?

ASIN numbers are Amazon's internal id numbers. I looked on Amazon for "time life cooking of the middle east" and came up with 4 different offerings with 3 different names (!) but they are all the same Time Life book. What happens when you sell on Amazon is that if you list the book slightly differently, Amazon will give it a separate listing and a separate ASIN. This can cause confusion for book buyers and sellers and is a constant complaint among careful booksellers who have to compete against folks who can't be bothered to be accurate when listing a book.

Here's the Amazon search: http://www.amazon.co...the middle east

#122 JTravel

JTravel
  • society donor
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I think I have all 27, mostly bought over a period of years as I found them used.  I have given many (mostly Chinese) to grad students we've befriended.....they found them fascinating....."so old fashioned". I will use the Lion's Head meatball recipe for entertaining soon....we enjoyed them several times on our China trip.

One favorite is the one on the NorthEast US which shows scenes very much like where my parents grew up. The old lady peeling carrots could be my grandmother.  I often showed that to international friends so they could see what life , and food, was like in those days.

Any interest in more cover photos?

#123 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Managed to score about 6 volumes at the local used book store...mostly for $10/two volume set. Making the red cabbage from the German book. The house always smells so good with the cabbage, apple, red currant jelly and the red wine vinegar. I like to cook it down so it is fork tender which requires adding extra liquid during and extended cooking time. A great accompaniment to pork. Freezes very well also.

#124 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

The old lady peeling carrots could be my grandmother. 
Any interest in more cover photos?

I loved that picture of the old lady and she looked like my grandmother and her sisters, too.

Yes, cover photos would be lovely!

#125 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Here's the photo on the cover of my copy of the Scandinavian volume - this is the layered jar of pickled herring and vegetables I referred to earlier:

scandinavia.jpg

#126 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have virtually the entire series and they are an indispensible resource for serious cooks.  When you read through the Chinese volume you realize how ground-breaking it must have been in the 1960's for American's to read about exotic ingredients like preserved vegetables, black beans and dark soy sauce.  These cookbooks are actually more relevant today than they were over 50 years ago.

#127 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,752 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have virtually the entire series and they are an indispensible resource for serious cooks.  When you read through the Chinese volume you realize how ground-breaking it must have been in the 1960's for American's to read about exotic ingredients like preserved vegetables, black beans and dark soy sauce.  These cookbooks are actually more relevant today than they were over 50 years ago.

I agree - today we can get the ingredients rather than having to resort to substitutes and we also have the luxury of often being able to taste the dishes authentically made in restaurants. I gave the Japan volume to a friend of my son's who is a student of Japanese culture. He found it enormously relevant and helpful in giving him a cultural base. 

#128 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

Is anyone else having issues getting JUST the spiral and not the hardbound book together?
I ordered the American Cooking FOTW and only got the Spiral...
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#129 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

Is anyone else having issues getting JUST the spiral and not the hardbound book together?
I ordered the American Cooking FOTW and only got the Spiral...

Who'd you order from? If it was from Amazon, you have to be very careful and be sure to read the description from the individual seller you're actually buying from. When sellers upload their wares to Amazon, the system slots things with the matching Amazon item without noting that only part of the set is there, or it's a different edition, etc. If you thought you were buying both, you should be able to get your money back.

#130 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I ordered from Amazon...It was listed as hardcover
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#131 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I made the mistake of going to the thrift store today...

Discovered a new Time-Life cooking series I knew nothing about. Its 24 books, I bought 8.

Its called "Healthy Home Cooking"

Here is some info http://www.volumelis...hy Home Cooking

Edited by GlorifiedRice, 05 August 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#132 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

I seem to have exhausted the Strand and Kitchen Arts & Letters as sources for these books, so now must turn to Amazon and eBay for the rest of the collection.

I was hoping to get the Spain/Portugal volume without having to resort to the Internet. Poo.

#133 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

Soba, PM me and I'll see if it's one that I have a duplicate of. I've also got dupes of many of the spiral-bound recipe booklets.
Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#134 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Cookbook Wonderland (a/k/a Kitchen Arts & Letters) came through for me.

The Spain volume is my all-time fave, and it's something I've been looking for a long time.

14025723685_8c740372b6_z.jpg

14045730703_d3346696ef_z.jpg
  • David Ross and rotuts like this

#135 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Nice scores Soba. I like the British Isles volume.

Just spent some time browsing the New England volume, which interestingly has a section on Quebecois cooking as well.

#136 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Nice scores Soba. I like the British Isles volume.

Just spent some time browsing the New England volume, which interestingly has a section on Quebecois cooking as well.

Yes, because of the large French Candadian emigration; you will also notice a number of Scottish dishes (e.g., Finnan Haddie), for similar reasons: extensive emigration of Scots via Prince Edward Isle and Nova Scotia in particular ( including my Buchanan relatives).

#137 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hi janeer! Coincidentally I'm soaking some butterscotch beans tonight to make your awesome baked beans recipe again (always a 2-3 day process). I have real confidence in my current batch of salt pork.

I was thinking I'd try making the brown bread this time, though it looks a little daunting - I won't be able to source the jonnycake flour that fast in NYC.

#138 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Favourite recipe from the Spain book is the apple mint crisp and the devilled short ribs from the GB book.

#139 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi janeer! Coincidentally I'm soaking some butterscotch beans tonight to make your awesome baked beans recipe again (always a 2-3 day process). I have real confidence in my current batch of salt pork.

I was thinking I'd try making the brown bread this time, though it looks a little daunting - I won't be able to source the jonnycake flour that fast in NYC.

Great! I will send you some johnnycake meal when I get back to RiI in June. The bread is easy. Enjoy the beans. It is too hot here to even think about baked beans.

#140 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Managed to source the Caribbean volume this weekend.

14190380203_b5088bd462_o.jpg
  • David Ross and rotuts like this

#141 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

Just a note of caution, and it might not pertain to everyone, but still...

I have the complete set.  Because I've moved a lot, the books were packed away in a box.  After reading this thread, got very interested and eager again about these wonderful books, so I opened the box and started pulling them out.

Unfortunately, the covers and backs had stuck to one another.  So, as I pulled them apart, they tore.

Wish I had put some sort of wax or parchment paper between them when I packed them away.

And I'd suggest that all y'all consider that if you need to store them for some reason.

• SobaAddict70 and Smithy like this

#142 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Managed to source the Caribbean volume this weekend.

14190380203_b5088bd462_o.jpg

Wow, thanks for posting.  I didn't realize there was this edition so now I'll be on the lookout.

#143 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

My friends in food all know how much I cherish these cookbooks and yet again they haven't disappointed.  I've been on a search for a good, no great, pizza dough recipe for about 3 years.  In fact, this past weekend I made 3 different recipes, all with marginal results.  A Batali recipe was too gooey, a recipe from "Extra Virgin" on Cooking Channel was too gummy.  Then on a lark I went into my library to turn to a trusted source--The Foods of Italiy.  Success!  Pizza dough that gifted me with a thin, chewy, crispy crust full of mountains of bubbles.  And imagine, these books debuted some 60 years ago.  If only the "artisanal" pizza crafters today knew that a great recipe could be found in a Time-Life book.

• SylviaLovegren likes this

#144 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

14175658891_8284053289_o.jpg

This is a predecessor to the Time-Life FOTW series. This particular volume was published in 1958; B's parents recently gave him their copy. (The one you're looking at is from B's sister who lives in Pennsylvania. We were at her place for Thanksgiving last year. I meant to take more pix of the inside. It has a very "50's" feel to it.)

#145 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I trust everyone here is aware that one can get the complete set of the books (the main books, the spiral-bound recipe books, the additional books etc) from various places, yes?  eBay for one... And the write-up for them is readily available on the internet listing every volume of the series...

#146 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

My friends in food all know how much I cherish these cookbooks and yet again they haven't disappointed.  I've been on a search for a good, no great, pizza dough recipe for about 3 years.  In fact, this past weekend I made 3 different recipes, all with marginal results.  A Batali recipe was too gooey, a recipe from "Extra Virgin" on Cooking Channel was too gummy.  Then on a lark I went into my library to turn to a trusted source--The Foods of Italiy.  Success!  Pizza dough that gifted me with a thin, chewy, crispy crust full of mountains of bubbles.  And imagine, these books debuted some 60 years ago.  If only the "artisanal" pizza crafters today knew that a great recipe could be found in a Time-Life book.

Here are a couple of photos of the delicious crust--

110.JPG

113.JPG

• SobaAddict70, Smithy and patrickamory like this

#147 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Here are a couple of photos of the delicious crust--

attachicon.gif110.JPG

attachicon.gif113.JPG

Damn - that's a fine looking crust.  

• David Ross likes this

#148 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, nearly identical to my favorite all-time crust from "Pietro's Pizza Parlor"  in Salem, Oregon.  One trick I use is to brush the entire, (to the edge), dough circle with a coating of olive oil just before garnishing and baking.  Gosh, I think I'll have pizza now every other day.

#149 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Oh, wow.

Was the recipe in the main book or the booklet? I have that volume. I'll have to add that to my bucket list...clam pizza here I come!

#150 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

I believe all recipes are in both the main book and the booklet.  My feet hurt too much to get up and look.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference