Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Time Life "Foods of the World" series

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#91 RMR

RMR
  • society donor
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:04 AM

.....Also, can someone with the US printing check the acorn squash recipe?  In mine they've substituted 'yellow custard marrows' and use 'streaky bacon'.  (In Australia, we can get acorn squashes sometimes, but they're not as common as Kent or Jap pumpkins.)

View Post

loiosh, the US edition of the Spicy Acorn Squash recipe, American volume, lists ‘acorn squash’ and ‘bacon’.

What a trip down memory lane! I started and fortunately completed the T-L series by subscription in the late sixties and learned so much. I’ve been dragging out and dusting off my favorites to reread - Vienna, British Isles, Germany, India, Middle Eastern.

#92 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

For those wanting a complete list, go back and look at post #52. It looks pretty complete to me, and lists 27 books.

I'm all excited because my mother finally parted with her set when I visited her at Christmastime. She's been kind of difficult about that kind of thing in the past, and I've worried that the TL books could become victim to one of her whims, and end up at a tag sale somewhere. I'm very relieved to have them in my possession, although there are less than a dozen. Now I have a new project: collecting the whole set! I'm happy to know about the Good Cook series. Another project.

#93 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

The Good Cook/Techniques and Recipes series is usually considered to have 28 volumes. However, there are five additional volumes that were not published in the United States.

They are: Confectionery, Patisserie, Biscuits, Game, and Offal. The cover page reads Time-Life Books-Amsterdam. Copyright is 1981. The ISBN on one of them is 7054 0611 3.

I haven't posted pictures in forever, but I'll try to review the instructions and post some soon.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

#94 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

I love the Foods of the World series. My mother ordered them when I was a child, and I remember poring over them as they arrived and for years afterward. Two years ago, I accepted a position as a culinary teacher at a high school tech center. Shortly afterwards, my mother gifted me with the set. There were a few missing books, which I quickly replaced, and they definitely show their age, but now rest in my classroom library. My students use them as part of their research for their end of year project. They have to research, plan, prepare, and serve a meal from a specific country or region of the U.S. They come in very handy for  this project.

#95 tug

tug
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Oh how exciting... I have parts of this series too. My mother was getting them (as someone upthread mentioned) once a month. There have been many times that I've referred back to these books for inspiration!
Peter: You're a spy
Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd
Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

#96 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

The Good Cook/Techniques and Recipes series is usually considered to have 28 volumes. However, there are five additional volumes that were not published in the United States.

They are: Confectionery, Patisserie, Biscuits, Game, and Offal. The cover page reads Time-Life Books-Amsterdam. Copyright is 1981. The ISBN on one of them is 7054 0611 3.

I haven't posted pictures in forever, but I'll try to review the instructions and post some soon.

An entire book on biscuits? That I would like to see (or does it mean "cakes," as it sometimes does?).  Would also like to see the patisserie book. I still have about 6 or 7 volumes in my cookbook collection.

#97 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

The only volume I have is Italy.  I love it and wish I had more countries.  However the complete The Good Cook series I bought on subsciption, one of which I was working from tonight.

#98 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

An entire book on biscuits? That I would like to see (or does it mean "cakes," as it sometimes does?).  Would also like to see the patisserie book. I still have about 6 or 7 volumes in my cookbook collection.

I think "biscuits" in this case means what we in the States call "cookies."

#99 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

And I think "Offal" is what in my set is "Variety Meats".  Likewise, "Confectionery" is probably "Candy".  "Patisserie" could be "Pies & Pastries" (or it could, I suppose, be "Cakes").  I can't match up anything with "Game" however.  The mystery remains.

#100 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

No,  "Offal" is not "Variety Meats". And "Confectionery" is definitely not Candy. The mystery remains only until I can take some photos small enough to upload. :blink:

#101 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I have the whole Good Cook series and was eyeing these for awhile glad to know they are just as fabulous...

Heres the list for reference

http://en.wikipedia....ds_of_the_World

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#102 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

No,  "Offal" is not "Variety Meats". And "Confectionery" is definitely not Candy. The mystery remains only until I can take some photos small enough to upload. :blink:

Not sure what will be different between "Offal" and "Variety Meats" except that lights were/are illegal for food in the US and the Variety Meats haggis recipe does not include them!  At least the cover pictures seem to be the same.

I found Wikipedia has an article on the US/UK titles:

http://en.wikipedia....i/The_Good_Cook

#103 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Here is one:confect.jpg

#104 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Here is the Biscuit book:

biscuit.jpg

#105 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Isn't this just Offal?

Attached Images

• offal.jpg

#106 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

patisserie: (Different from the US book

patisserie.jpg

#107 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

The covers are not the same, and I believe Wikipedia seems to be mistaken in saying they are the same.

Not sure what will be different between "Offal" and "Variety Meats" except that lights were/are illegal for food in the US and the Variety Meats haggis recipe does not include them!  At least the cover pictures seem to be the same.

I found Wikipedia has an article on the US/UK titles:

http://en.wikipedia....i/The_Good_Cook

#108 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Wikipedia did not say the Offal/Variety Meats covers were the same, I said the covers were the same (after finding a picture of the Offal book on line).  Well, they are not exactly the same -- one says Offal and one says Variety Meats.

The cover picture posted for Confectionery is the same cover picture as Candy.  However the cover pictures for Biscuits and Patisserie do not match volumes in my collection.  Whether the text is similar I do not know.

I'd love to know if the haggis recipe in Offal includes lights.

#109 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

never ate a lamp, so I had to google "lights", never heard that word used for lungs, LOL

Some day I'd love to find a whole set of these books, but I'm not going to walk into the "one at a time" trap (again), haha!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#110 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

In The Good Cook series: I seem to remember there's Fish in the US and Fish and Seafood in the UK, or possibly the reverse, but they're more or less the same book. I've had multiple copies of these.

Back to Foods Of The World: Has anyone ever tried to make that jar of layered herring and vegetables that's on the cover of the Scandinavia volume? It looks delicious!

#111 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Wikipedia did not say the Offal/Variety Meats covers were the same, I said the covers were the same (after finding a picture of the Offal book on line).  Well, they are not exactly the same -- one says Offal and one says Variety Meats.

The cover picture posted for Confectionery is the same cover picture as Candy.  However the cover pictures for Biscuits and Patisserie do not match volumes in my collection.  Whether the text is similar I do not know.

I'd love to know if the haggis recipe in Offal includes lights.

Yes, Offal includes1 Sheeps Pluck (heart, lungs, and liver) vs. Varietys heart and liver only. Otherwise, they are pretty similiar. If fact, both recipes are by F> Marian Mcneill from The Scots Kitchen.

Interesting: Right next to Haggis is Baked Lamb's Offal With Rice. It includes lamb's lungs, liver, kidneys and sweetbreads! Yum!

#112 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Heres GAME, perhaps the most beautiful cover.

Attached Images

• game.jpg

#113 Sam Iam

Sam Iam
  • society donor
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

BTW, all five extra books came from Europe, and were pretty difficult to find. With pricing in Euros and shipping, I recall paying almost as much as the entire US set usually sells for. I love them, though, :wub:  for some strange reason. :biggrin:

#114 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 313 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

never ate a lamp, so I had to google "lights", never heard that word used for lungs, LOL

Some day I'd love to find a whole set of these books, but I'm not going to walk into the "one at a time" trap (again), haha!

There's a set on ebay, just checked yesterday, around $300

#115 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

so I never did get around to collecting the books back when I posted to this topic in 2005.

fast forward 8 years later, and I've started down that road, spurred on by a recent trip to the Strand and a PM exchange on Facebook with a friend.

006.JPG

so now I have the following:  (1) China, (2) Japan, (3) Latin America, (4) Italy, (5) American Cooking:  Creole and Acadian, (6) American Cooking:  The Pacific Northwest, and (7) Russia (and the spiral bound book).

I rarely buy cookbooks.  these cookbooks on the other hand, are automatic "must-haves" for me.

#116 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I have some news...

There is yet 3 more Time Life series besides The Good Cook and Foods Of The World...There is also The Illustrated Library of Cooking, The Everyday Cookbooks & Great Meals In Minutes

http://www.volumelis...ryday Cookbooks

http://www.cookbkjj....e/time_life.htm

:::backing away slowly:::

Edited by GlorifiedRice, 17 March 2013 - 05:26 AM.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#117 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Should Great Dinners from Life (Time-Life Books, 1969) be added to this thread as well? The book by Eleanor Graves with the mouth-watering two-page spreads showing classic meals from each season?

I used to wonder over this book as a child... I was particularly fixated on the game dishes.

#118 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

so I never did get around to collecting the books back when I posted to this topic in 2005.

fast forward 8 years later, and I've started down that road, spurred on by a recent trip to the Strand and a PM exchange on Facebook with a friend.

attachicon.gif006.JPG

so now I have the following:  (1) China, (2) Japan, (3) Latin America, (4) Italy, (5) American Cooking:  Creole and Acadian, (6) American Cooking:  The Pacific Northwest, and (7) Russia (and the spiral bound book).

I rarely buy cookbooks.  these cookbooks on the other hand, are automatic "must-haves" for me.

The American cooking ones are simply wonderful. Although the Russian book entranced me when I was a young woman -- maybe I should crack that one open again!

#119 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sam Iam, thank you for the cover photos of the rarer volumes. Fun to see.

#120 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Okay can someone explain the discrepancy?

On the Wiki page for Foods of the World they list two different Middle Eastern cookbooks

Cooking of the Middle East

and

Middle-Eastern Cooking

They have separate ASIN numbers too

B001D10D3Y

B000ZLZVWQ

Is this just accounting for the fact that it is a 2 book set?

Edited by GlorifiedRice, 18 March 2013 - 05:04 AM.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference