Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Does a food writer need to know how to cook?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jonathan Day

Jonathan Day
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:07 PM

Tom, many thanks for participating in this Q&A.

The bio posted here suggests that you are a capable cook and that you have spent at least some time working the line in serious restaurants.

Could you do as good a job as a critic and food writer if you weren't able to cook? What difference does knowing how to cook make in the way you review a restaurant? A music critic need not be a musician, after all, nor an art critic a painter or sculptor. Could a food critic learn her or his trade simply by dining and reading?
Jonathan Day
"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

#2 Tom Sietsema

Tom Sietsema
  • legacy participant
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 06:23 AM

I do think it is important for a critic to know about ingredients and how things go together. That kind of knowledge simply makes for a more informed review.

Does said critic have to be a GREAT cook? No. Perfect knife skills, for instance, don’t necessarily translate into entertaining writing.

Allow me to clarify something: I have never worked “the line” in a restaurant kitchen; my experience on The Other Side of the Business was
strictly “the front of the house.” Any culinary talent I have is the result of years of recipe testing, first for the Food section of the Post, and later, as the food editor of the Milwaukee Journal.

I do very little cooking these days, due to my dining schedule of twelve or so
meals out every week. And frankly, I miss spending time in the kitchen.