Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trends in American cuisine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swissmiss

swissmiss
  • participating member
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for participating in this Q&A Tom.

What do you see as upcoming trends in American cuisine? Are we heading toward more organic products or more junk food? Which part of the country is the most advanced, and which one is emerging?

I look forward to your answer(s).
Anne E. McBride

#2 Tom Sietsema

Tom Sietsema
  • legacy participant
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 04:15 AM

Value continues to play a role in what and how we eat, and I don't see that changing. All the peasant cuisines from Central and South American that are getting so much attention now will continue to be popular: their primary ingredients are inexpensive and often good for us (think black beans and rice, etc.)

American diners get bored easily, and no matter what happens to the U.S. economy, we will be looking for the next new thing before long. I'm putting my money on chefs like Jose Andres in Washington and (can't remember his name) at La Brouche in Miami to pave the way, trend-wise.

Right now, though, there's not a lot of risks being taken for obvious reasons. Restaurateurs can't afford to lose customers.