Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

World Political Troubles:

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 02:40 PM

Thanks, Tom, for giving us your time!

It used to seem that the overthrow of a government somewhere in the world would give rise to new "ethnic" restaurants in DC, opened by well-educated former officials who couldn't go home. (Such as the proliferation of Ethiopian restaurants following Haile Selassie's overthrow). I don't want to sound callous, but do you think that turmoil like that helps to improve the dining scene in DC and elsewhere in the US?

#2 Tom Sietsema

Tom Sietsema
  • legacy participant
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:48 AM

Sad but probably true, Washington benefits from trouble abroad.

Over the decades, the city has become more delicious following the arrival of refugees from Vietnam, Ethiopia, Afghanisitan, El Salvador and on.

I am not aware of any Iraqi restaurants, but Mimi's American Bistro on P St. NW in Dupont Circle, whose owner is a native of Iraq, frequently hosts "peace dinners" where he combines the cooking of his homeland with that of Israel, for instance. I think it's a lovely idea (and the dishes have been terrific.)