Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Indian Restaurants

Indian

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 raghavan iyer

raghavan iyer
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 05:05 PM

Matthew Grant Posted on Jul 30 2004, 10:16 AM...Delhi (aside from the obvious Bukhara)
Agra
Udaipur
Jaipur
Ranthambore

I will be there in Jan/Feb and would love to add Khajuraho, Varanasi to that list...any recommendations would be great. Thanks so much
Raghavan Iyer, CCP
Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year
2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -
Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

#92 eEpicurean

eEpicurean
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:19 AM

Hi,
I am looking for good restaurants in Las Vegas,Nevada & Grand Canyon area too to celebrate my 2nd yr Marriage anniversery (Lunch & Dinner :-))as we would be visiting the places shortly. Any recommendations? TIA
Laks.

#93 da_coolestofall

da_coolestofall
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

Anyone know of a good/decent Indian restaurant in orlando Florida, if possible around the disney world area. I am going to be there in the early part of september and you know how Indian people start craving Indian food soon into a vacation. Also i did not see any reccomendations for Southern California. Truthfully I havent really found any good ones myself. however here are 2 decent ones.
1.Woodlands: this is a primarilly south Indian restaurant but the chhole bhature were to die for the last time I visited. They also have a pretty good South Indian lunch buffet on weekdays.
11833 Artesia Blvd
Artesia, CA
Phone: (562) 860-6500

2. Tangra Bistro: This place serves both Indo-Chinese and thai influenced noodle dishes. Its pretty good, and the prices are reasonable. unlike other Indian restaurants the location is very spacious and conpemporarily decorated. The chef is a Chinese guy brought up in Mumbai, so his cooking is influenced by the chinese food available at "chinese vans" in India. One drawback though is that the chicken used on my last visit was kinda tough an stringy.
11305 183RD ST.
CERRITOS CA, 90703
(562) 865-6109

#94 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:50 PM

Bukhara Grill, NYC (has two locations)

217 E 49th St
New York, NY 10017
(Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues)

and

230 E. 58th Street
Between 2nd and 3rd Ave.
New York, NY 10022

Link to thread on Bukhara Grill, NYC

Is the Bukhara in Chicago related to these?
I used to love the Bukhara in Chicago when I would visit it ofter about 10yrs ago. Hope it is still around.

Percy

#95 susruta

susruta
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:11 PM

Bukhara in Chicago used to be owned by the ITC group and was probably related to the other restaurants by this name, but ITC sold it several years and it is now called Bukara. I was only there once and don't remember it as anything special, but someone else might have better information.

#96 sonya

sonya
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:31 AM

some bay area suggestions:

best south indian
Dasaprakash in santa clara (http://www.dasaprakash.com/)
(i did find the idli and vada a bit too dense for my liking other than that everything is excellent and great decor too...no bare-bosomed four-feet high brass statues holding saunf)

someone recommended uddippi palace....i find too much baking soda in their food.

best chaat (even better than Viks of berkeley)
Chaat Paradise in mountain view (http://www.chaatparadise.com/)
everything is superb but get this...my gujju and mumbai friends say that the pau bhaji is as good as the best they have had in india or at home!!!
warning though: place is swimming in the aforementioned brass statues.

best kebab run
Shalimar in san francisco or fremont
(i know some people feel that pakwan is better but i don't belong to that category as yet)

best punjabi fish pakoras
chaat cafe in berkeley or santa clara
(they do have other stuff too which i love but i have to say that their pujabi fish pakoras are the best i have eaten in the west so far...there was another restaurant here that did an amazing fish amritsari and karela chatpatta but the chef quit and the mess they now serve in the name of these dishes is quite appalling...)

with strong opinions and totally spoilt on indian food options living in the bay area...

sp

#97 Gypsy Boy

Gypsy Boy
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:19 AM

Bukhara/Bukara in Chicago has been closed for at least several years now. To the best of my knowledge it has not opened elsewhere or under another name in the city.
"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."
Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)

#98 Gypsy Boy

Gypsy Boy
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:47 AM

Anyways, back on subject, I haven't seen much mention about Indian food in Chicago. I know Hema's Kitchen is a perennial favorite for top honors, but interested in other ideas.

View Post

My impression from the local chowhound board is that opinions are, in fact, mixed about Hema's. It has many fans who are quite...devoted. But the recent opening of a branch in Lincoln Park(!) has brought some less than positive reviews, of both the new branch and the original.

As to other suggestions on Devon:

Udupi Palace
2543 W Devon Ave
(773) 338-2152

Sizzle India
2509 W Devon Ave
(773) 761-7777

Sher-a-Punjab
2510 W Devon Ave
(773) 973-4000

Tiffin
2536 W Devon Ave
(773) 338-2143

Sonargaon
2306 W Devon Ave
(773) 262-8008
"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."
Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)

#99 da_coolestofall

da_coolestofall
  • participating member
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

Great place for mithais in souther California, its been years since i tried a Luki-Barfi

Rasthal Vegetarian Cuisine
2751-2755 W Lincoln Ave
Anaheim, CA
Phone::(714)527-3800

#100 tejon

tejon
  • participating member
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

This is a bit out in the middle of nowhere, but the food is quite good:

Peacock Garden
23347 Golden Springs Dr.
Diamond Bar, CA
(909) 860-2606
Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

#101 susruta

susruta
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:16 PM

One of the best Indian restaurants I've ever dined at is in Houston, of all places: Indika at 12665 Memorial Drive (though they are moving closer to downtown.) The service is excellent, the dishes superb, especially the roast lamb which melts in your mouth, the wine list nice, and the prices very reasonable. In my books, it's superior to some of the very expensive places in London and Delhi. The chef/owner anita Jaisignhani used to be the pastry chef at annie's cafe, perhaps Houston's top restaurant. Her clientele was originally American but when I was there recently most of the tables were filled with people of subcontinental origin.

#102 Jammin

Jammin
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:53 PM

Bearing in mind that this is the India Forum any chance of some recommendations in India?

View Post

bukhara seems to get all the hype in delhi, but i found dum pukht also in the sheraton maurya to be outstanding as well (my last meal there was this past thursday). the food was classical mughal and the gosht biryani was particularly well done imho. if you get shut out at bukhara (which only takes reservations in the 7 - 8 pm slot with the rest first come) don't hesitate to bingo across the hotel to the other great restaurant.

#103 JayBassin

JayBassin
  • participating member
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

The best in Washington DC is "Heritage India". There's a thread in the DC forum at Heritage India
It's on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park. Phone 202-333-3120
He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

#104 DocDougherty

DocDougherty
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Dallas Texas

India Palace
12718 Preston (in Preston Valley shopping center at I-635, next to Chili's)
outstanding food, good service

Zyka (Hyderabadi? cuisine)
100 S Central Expressway #? (Richardson Heights mini-mall) a few doors down and to the right from Udipi Cafe
This is on the Southbound side of the I-75 service road, just North of Spring Valley
quick takeout or bare bones eat in - good food, fast service, very affordable
my choice for a quick meal - try the chicken biryani
(same family also runs Zyka in Atlanta which I have not tried)

Udipi Cafe (South Indian vegetarian cuisine)
100 S Central Expressway #35
nicely appointed, excellent food, moderately priced

Saffron House
5100 Beltline Road, suite 728
Addison, TX 75254
many specialties, quiet, excellent food

Edited by DocDougherty, 18 September 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#105 Ted Task

Ted Task
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

"twas back in 2004 that Mathew Grant asked about INDIA the country, not where in the US....I am searching for the same information. Going to be there (mostly North, but in Kerala too and Mumbai) later this year and would like some suggestions in Amritsar, Delhi and Mumbai. I understad that the Hotels (which cater to tourists) are USUALLY the safest, but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Ted Task

#106 beebah

beebah
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hi Ted,

Checkout the forums at Indiamike and Indiatree both in the food section and in the areas you're going to be travelling. There's lots of interesting and useful info and if you can't find exactly what you're after then they're pretty friendly and I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

Nick

#107 petdol

petdol
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Indian Restaurants; Here's my contribution: Bombay Cafe on Andrews Avenue just south of Oakland Park Blvd. It features a daily lunch buffet with no less than 13 items...including samosas, vegetable fritters, Chicken Tikka Masala and unbelievable Goat Curry. Every guest receives a sizzling platter of tandoori chicken and poori when they sit down. There's also a full condiment bar with raita, coriander chutney and numerous other items.

Unfortunately there are very few restaurants to speak of in Fort Lauderdale (I lived in New York City for 21 years and LOVED Little India on East 6th Street). But Bombay Cafe is like an oasis in the desert.

This is my first post...I'm really happy to be here.
Peter

#108 brucesw

brucesw
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

Some resources for Houston:

Indian restaurants

Pakistani restaurants

Indo-Pak restaurants

You will see that there is some overlap.

I have eaten at only 2 of the Indian restaurants, Shiva in the Village, which is good, and Bombay Sweets, in Little India on Hillcroft, basically a candy shop with a small buffet. There have always been lots of Indians at Bombay Sweets but I've not been impressed with the food; the buffet is not kept very fresh and isn't very good, but it is very inexpensive.

I have eaten at 3 of the Pakistani restaurants: Sabri Nihari, which is a branch of a restaurant in Chicago. This is very good, on a par with Shiva, with excellent beef nihari and naan on a lunch buffet that is very inexpensive.

However, it is outclassed by Himalaya across the street (which is on all three lists but is really Pakistani). The food here is just outstanding. This is one of my 'don't miss' recommendations for Houston. It is a very quirky place - the owner's desk is in the dining room, the lunch-time special is served on a divided, plastic school lunch tray, etc., but none of that matters.

I have also eaten at a Pakistani place not listed, Salaam Namaste, which bills itself as Indo-Pak fast food and Paan corner. This is as much a game room as restaurant and English is very halting; food is not as good as Himalaya, though it's not bad; the menu is small and not everything on the menu will be available everyday.

There are any number of restaurants not on the lists which probably represent only about 60-70% of the restaurants in Houston. I am aware of at least 2 others, Desi Play Zone which is just down the street from Salaam Namaste on W. Bellfort (both just around the corner from Savoy) and also serves food, and Mefdi Grill and Pan Corner, a very new place on Bissonnett, just outside Beltway 8.

I have intentions of getting to Aga's in the near future as it is near me and I am looking forward to the opening of India House this spring or summer, also very near me, which will eventually have restaurants and a food court.

There are posters on the Texas board on eG who know more about the Indian restaurants in Houston than I and you will find many who will also endorse Himalaya so if you're headed our way come on by and post

Bruce.

EDIT: I see Sabri Nihari is not listed for some reason. Here is a direct link on the same site.

Sabri Nihari

Edit again: Out looking for lunch today I spotted another, Eliya's Sabri Nihari (?!), about half a mile up Hillcroft from the other Sabri Nihari, near Richmond. I'll try to check it out.

Edited by brucesw, 06 April 2008 - 01:49 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indian