Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Indian Restaurants

Indian

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:50 PM

As we speak of Indian restaurants across the many regional US and other forums, it gets difficult to keep track of them without making it an ordeal. The system is great, if you know the name, you can search easily, but I think this thread could serve the novice well, by giving links to the many Indian restaurant threads we have had in the past.

Please take time and post a link (or two) to the Indian restaurant (s) that you may have started a thread on, or remember reading about on eGullet.

Maybe you can say a few things as you post the link as to why that particular restaurant works for you. Or just why you have taken time to post about it.

Thanks all for contributing to this thread. :smile:

#2 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:55 PM

Thali
Posted Image

Fat Guy had started this thread about Thali

What do you all think? Please post about Thali on the link above.

Thali is serving some amazing dishes in a very beautiful setting. A grand bank building houses the restaurant. The restaurant has what some find to be a well thought out wine list. The restaurant also has a sommelier. Not many Indian restaurants have one on staff.

Peter Beck the chef from Tamarind (NY Times 2 Stars) is the chef at Thali and Hemant Mathur (NY Times 2 Stars) is billed as consultant for Tandoori foods.

Our very own prolific Indian forum eGulleteer, Prasad2 is the owner.

I have enjoyed 2 meals at Thali. Upon my return, I am hoping to make a trek into CT and try the food again.

Click here to check out Thali's website and to see some of what is being cooked in the kitchen.

Since we know Prasad2 is the owner, please feel free to question him on here about Thali and any other questions you may have. I am sure Prasad would be happy to share his side of things.

#3 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:01 PM

Bukhara Grill, NYC (has two locations)

217 E 49th St
New York, NY 10017
(Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues)

and

230 E. 58th Street
Between 2nd and 3rd Ave.
New York, NY 10022

The management and some of the chefs had worked for years in Bukhara, New Delhi.  It is the restaurant that has defined the Indian food movement for the most part across many countries.

While Bukhara serves mostly foods from Northern India and that too from the North West Frontier, it has gained immense popularity amongst Indians from many different regions.

Link to thread on Bukhara Grill, NYC

#4 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:05 PM

Bombay Clay Oven, Denver, CO

165 Steele Street
Cherry Creek North
303-377-4454

An imposing facade leaves a lasting impression on most that will drive by this important street. In fact that is exactly what made us go back to it for dinner. The visual impact of the free standing restaurant was enough to leave us wanting to come back to try the restaurant.

More attractive than the other Indian restaurants we have visited, Bombay Clay Oven has the best food yet of the restaurants we have visited.

I most enjoyed the food coming out in ceramic bowls (nice white ones) instead of the usual (unfortunately all of their charm has died because of the over use in the Sub-Continental restaurants from India in the US and other countries) copper and stainless ones.

CLICK HERE For link to the thread on Bombay Clay Oven

#5 prasad2

prasad2
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:25 PM

Diwan Grill

148 East 48th ST (Between Lexington Ave & 3rd Ave)
New York - 212-593-5425

This spacious East Midtown Restaurant serving authentic Indian cuisine popular with the locals and the EGulleteers will satisfy the most sophisticated Indian food lovers as well as initiate and convert the most stalwart of skeptics.

Definitely best in New York. A perfect balance of spices and a haven for kababs impressed me at Diwan Grill. A real jewel in the crown is the best Lamb Chops you will ever encounter from the Tandoor, made by Chef Hemant Mathur.

Hemant Mathur cooked at Bukhara in New Delhi. First time I have been there after scoring Two Stars from the NY Times by Eric Esimov, I was more thrilled and moved with the food and in my opinion Diwan Grill truly deserves Three Stars.

CLICK HERE to read more about Diwan and chef Hemant Mathur.

Edited by Suvir Saran, 14 May 2003 - 09:39 PM.

#6 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:47 PM

In the Seattle area-

Raga
Kirkland, Wa (Downtown Kirkland)

Taste of India
Seattle, Wa (Roosevelt Ave near University District)

Shamiana
Seattle, Wa (Ravenna area)
and
Kirkland, Wa (Houghton Market area)

Thread with discussion of these restaurants

Sahib
Redmond, Wa (Redmond Town Center)

No Discussion link for this one, but they put out some nice stuff.

Udupi Palace
Bellevue/Redmond, Wa (Crossroads Shopping Center)

Udupi Palace Discussion

Edited by Schielke, 14 May 2003 - 05:48 PM.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.
-Mario

#7 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:48 PM

Rang Mahal, Singapore

CLICK HERE to read about Rang Mahal and other Indian restaurants in Singapore.

#8 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:56 PM

Clay Pit, Austin, TX

Situated in a landmark building, it offers what many believe to be some of the better rendering of Indian dishes in North America.

CLICK HERE to read about our very own eGullet dinner at Clay Pit. You will have to check page 5 onwards of the linked thread.

#9 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:59 PM

Ada, New York City, NY

58th St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues

CLICK HERE to go to the thread about Ada.

#10 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:02 PM

Banjara, New York City, NY

First Ave and 6th Street

"I went to Banjara tonight, for the first time in several months. It was a date. As far as I'm concerned, the food was the same as ever, i.e. very good, and one helpful thing that was done was to fulfill my date's request to have Chicken Mahkani to be made. The menu offers Dal Makhani but not Chicken Makhani, and the result of the substitution was good." - From eGulleteer Pan

CLICK HERE to read more of what Pan has to say and others as well.

#11 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:06 PM

All India Cafe, West LA

"If you like Indian food , and want a great place on the west side try All India Cafe on Santa Monica Blvd at Bundy in WLA. its on the second floor.

Whats great about this place, is that the food is very fairly priced, and the quality is excellent. If you like good spices and less of the oil this is the place to go.. This is a great place to eat indian food multiple times a week.. I wouldnt call it a place to impress a client or date, but you'll always come back for more."
- From eGulleteer bperlow

CLICK HERE to read more about All India Cafe and what bperlow and others had to say about this restaurant.

#12 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:10 PM

Vik's Chaat House, Berkeley, CA

726 Allston Way
Between 3rd and 4th
510 644 4421

CLICK HERE to read about Vik's Chaat House and other Bay Area Indian resataurants.

#13 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:12 PM

Turmerik
141 Souther Murphy Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA-94086
408-617-9100

Chef:  Arvind Bhargava

CLICK HERE for the thread on Turmerik.

#14 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:14 PM

Dosa Hut, New York City, NY

102 Lexington Avenue (between 27th and 28th Streets)
Phone: 212-725-7466

The take out menu proudly says, "best dosa in New York".

CLICK HERE to read more about this Southern Indian restaurant.

#15 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:17 PM

Saffron

338 Bloomfield Ave,
Hoboken, NJ

(201-892-5854)

"The food was very good. I definately recomend checking it out sometime. The prices for the menu dishes also seem reasonable, especially compared to either India on the Hudson or Karma Kafe. They also apparently do delivery themselves, unlike Karma Kafe/India on the Hudson, who do only deliver via the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" delivery service."
- from eGulleteer klemmerm

CLICK HERE to read more about this restaurant.

#16 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:20 PM

Hampton Chutney, New York City, NY

68 Prince Street

Best Dosa in Manhattan - eGulleteer Suvir Saran

CLICK HERE to read more about this restaurant that has a branch in Amagansett, LI as well.

#17 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:22 PM

Moghul, Edison, NJ

CLICK HERE to read more about this restaurant in Edison, New Jersey.

#18 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:26 PM

Dimple Chaat House, New York City, NY

30th Street, between Broadway and 5th

"Loosen up folks !! That you get a semblence of chaat in NYC,
and kosher on top, should be a blessing.

Yes, its not Mumbai, or Dilli (just waiting for the fourth city to go native ) and yes, the chaat is made with a gujurati tint....

I still prefer it to anything in the public-transport-accessible tri-state area.

The best time of go to Dimple is in the weekends, around noon -
You get to chat with the ladies behind the counter and get some tips on where to get hard-to-get ingredients. "
-from eGulleteer Anil

CLICK HERE to read more about Dimple in NYC and Jackson Heights.

#19 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:29 PM

Tamarind, New York City

CLICK HERE to read more about this NY Times 2 Star restaurant.

#20 wgallois

wgallois
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:34 PM

The Clay Oven, by Buhaira Lagoon, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
(06) 556 2312

Link to egullet discussion here: http://forums.egulle...T&f=41&t=11005

The Emirates has a great Subcontinental food culture, and if any egulleters happen to be in Dubai or Sharjah I would be most happy to take you to the Clay Oven.

#21 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:41 PM

Tokyo/Yokohama

Moti

4 locations in Tokyo and 2 in Yokohama

Northern India homestyle cooking

http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g247000/
Japanese only

Yokohama

Raani

http://raani.org/
some English/mostly Japanese

A group of friends and I just had a cooking class with the owner Hari Om today. Really, really great stuff!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#22 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:01 PM

In HKG

Viceroy Bar & Restaurant
Sun Hung Kai Centre, 30 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 2827-7777

It has good views and fairly decent menu.
anil

#23 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:07 PM

In EZE

Katmandu
3547 Cordoba,
Buenos Aires
Tel: 4963-1122

Open only for dinner, and closed on Sundays. I go there every time I am in town, not because it is very good, but many of the local folks insist I accompany them there. Portenos, are not very advanterous with spices and exotic is what indian food is characterised as.

Bengal
837 Arenales

This restaurant is not really Indian in the traditional sense. An Argentinian diplomat who was posted in New Delhi for a long time, came back and opened a restaurant in the Center of the City, catering to essentially the business folks with one page of the menu devoted to Indian cuisine. So if there are a bunch of people ina group, and some want to try indian entrees while others don't - this is a gentle introduction in a city known to have the best beef in the world.

Edited by anil, 14 May 2003 - 11:22 PM.

anil

#24 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:17 PM

In London

Zaika
Kensington High Street
London W8 5SF

I like this restaurant a lot. The menu is very ecelectic. It is expensive by the standards of curry houses in London. Last time we ordered the tasting menu, which is not so common amongst Indian restaurants that I've been to.

I'll wait for our resident 'bhadrolok to fill in all about the scene in London :biggrin:
anil

#25 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:19 PM

Guru on E. 6 St., New York, NY.

#26 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:23 PM

Jackson Diner in Jackson Heights, Queens, NY has been mentioned in a bunch of threads but has never exactly had its own thread. What are we going to do about that? It's the best Indian restaurant I've eaten in so far in the 5 boroughs of New York.

#27 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:33 PM

In GIG

Natraj
Rua General San Martin, 1219
Rio de Janeiro
Tel.: 2239-4745

I've written about this in the Best meal thread. Located in the residential neighborhood of Leblon.
anil

#28 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:53 PM

In NYC

el Nidos
314 w 52nd St.
New York, NY 10019
Tel: 265 7777

There is a brief discussion about this thread
anil

#29 Malik

Malik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:06 AM

In London

Zaika
Kensington High Street
London W8 5SF

I second that recommendation. I had a meal in Zaika in December 2001 (I know, it's been a little while) which was one of the top two Indian meals I've had outside of India. Our favorites of the night were the "NARIYAL JHINGA / Coconut Prawn Masala" and the "MACHLI BIRYANI / Crusted Fish Biryani" (that night's special entree), along with the chocolate samosas dessert. Also went to Tamarind on that trip, good restaurant, but much more classical in style and less inventive.

Edited by Malik, 15 May 2003 - 12:19 AM.

#30 Malik

Malik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:17 AM

Vancouver

Vij's
1480 West 11th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
(604) 736 6664

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this restaurant yet. Vij's was the site of my other top Indian meal outside of India. Wonderful host, great food, modern but unmistakenly Indian, not fusion. Favorite dish was the Lamb Popsicles. This thread talks about Vij's in some detail.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indian