Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

French, Italian, Mexican, Asian

Italian Mexican

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pixelchef

pixelchef
  • legacy participant
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:02 PM

Hi Mark! I'd like to first thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to participate in the Q&A here at eGullet. It is very much appreciated.

I was wondering which region of the world (and style of cuisine) has your heart. Does French cuisine appeal most to you? Maybe it's Italian? I'd love to know! And in the same vein, how do you feel about the recently-emerging "avant-garde" style of cooking? Trio, WD-50, et al. jump immediately to mind. Have you dined at these establishments? How do you feel they fare against other cuisines?

Thank you very much for your time,
-Chris

#2 markbittman

markbittman
  • legacy participant
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 04:04 PM

My 'favorite' cuisine changes from year to year. This year I'd have to say it's Indian. Last year Japanese. I retain my love for European food, and think its home cooking is the most appealing, but it has few surprises left for me.

I have not eaten at Trio or WD50 so cannot comment. (Trio's menu did not appeal to me.) I have eaten at El Bulli and had a terrific time. Every major city should have one such restaurant, though I doubt that will happen, since Adria's imitators mostly do lousy work. But it's not "real" food – you couldn't eat it too often, could you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian, Mexican