Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Wholesale Dessert Co.

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 10:19 AM

Wendy,

My product list is till in the planning stages, so it is very hard for me to put it here:

Some items that are a go are:

Individual Desserts
Molten Chocolate Cake (yeah I know....it still sells here)
Milk Chocolate praline cone
Fruit Tarts (almond dough, frangipan)
Lemon Disk(finished for customer pref)
Lime Disk (finished for customer pref)
Cherry Linzer
Chocolate Caramel Dome with Hazelnut Creme Brulee center
Chocolate Caramel Dome with Passion Fruit center
Unmolded creme brulees
Verical apple strudel (purse)
Sin squared (chocolate mousse & cheesecake)
Toasted Hazelnut Semi Freddo
Malt Semi Freddo

Sauces and Garnishes
Vanilla, Wht Chocolate, Espresso, Rasp, Blueberry, Mango, Passion, Caramel, Rum Raisin, Cider reduction.....
Vanilla Tuile batter, chocolate tuile batter, chocolate lace tuile, bandy snap batter, Almond tuile, etc....

Specialty cakes and some breads

still a work in progress..... I will be doing tastings with my partners and local area chefs to see what the diffinitive line will be. The list will constantly evolve.
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#32 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:36 PM

That's exactly why you should post your menu: because it's a work in progress. It's something specific to work on and just think about. Seeing this list tells me what recipes your using and then how you could build out with your other desserts(tortes and such) so you have overlap in your items. Also shows me what you might be missing that is popular or that would round out your line. That's how everyone can help you.

You want to work smart, that's very important from the start. You want to come out of the starting gate with out tripping. You'll have plenty other obstcles to handle.

By the way, in my opinion unless your specializing into a very specific area of baking I think it would be foolish to omit any popular items like molten cakes. We all have to make what sells unless your independently rich.

What do you mean by "disk", what's a lemon disk?

How do you sell an unmolded brulee'?

Are you sure you want to make your own tart shells? Most places I know of buy them in because their more time consuming then their worth.

Will you package your molten cakes? All the ones I've seen brought in were in paper cups so then didn't have to unmold them at the factory.

Can your apple studel be frozen? Will you bake them off or will they?

I love making semi-freddo's but I've had a hard time selling them. I tend to believe you have to relabel their name, cause no one knows what a semi freddo is. What do others think about it?

Will you put all of your individual desserts on their own gold boards, will they come wrapped in acetate liners?

Is there a minimum count for each item? Can I order 3 of each? Will you send everything out frozen or thawed?

I'm sort of playing devils advocate to help you. There's so much to think about when your starting and the more you do ahead the less money it will cost you in mistakes, hopefully.

All your items sound good, I'd love to try them all!

#33 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:06 AM

Wen,

Great points.

Lemon disk, Lime disk, 3 Citrus Disk-curd with shortbread base, very versatile and will be shipped frozen.

All individual desserts will be acetate band wrapped, sent fresh or frozen, depending on item. They will be sent in boxes, not with gold boards unless they ask for them (pay as well) or if they are being displayed for retail sale.

My molten cakes are baked in ss rings, not the aluminum cups. They will be sent frozen under the guise "Chocolate Coulant"

Unmolded brulees, baked in flexipan with a small amount of gelatin. Sent frozen.

All frozen items will be sent with thawing and serving instructions.

Apple strudels are more made to order. Then can and maybe frozen in their raw state, sent with baking directions to the client.

Semi-Freddo- Say Frozen Souffle and it sells, most people know what a souffle is.

There will definetly be a minimum order for each location, depending on prior purchase history and destination (how far away).
My usual minimum was 1 doz. and usually a $$$ of $100.00

Edited by bripastryguy, 02 May 2003 - 07:07 AM.

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#34 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:05 PM

Darn, I just lost my message getting kicked off by aol. Can't retype it now, but will later.

#35 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 10:44 AM

WELL ITS A REALITY!

We started work on the store and its going slow but we will get tehre. I cant wait to start producing.

Anybody do Logo work ?
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#36 thebaker

thebaker
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:39 PM

Good Luck Bripastryguy!!!
I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

#37 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:02 AM

THANKS BAKER.

Trying to get my partner to give exact figures on money he spent. Having partners is fun :blink: But he and everyone involved will handle there stuff. I'm so stoked and cant wait to start baking in my own shop.
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#38 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

Great news, Brian !

#39 Elizabeth_11

Elizabeth_11
  • participating member
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:42 AM

I'm so stoked and cant wait to start baking in my own shop.

I can only imagine! Best of luck, I'm green with envy right now! :raz:
-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

#40 tobism

tobism
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:59 AM

Hello pastryguy,

I'm a lurker and don't post much, but I noticed you needed a logo. I can help you in that department. My name is Arturo Bantug and I'm a graphic designer.

If you'd like to check out some of my portfolio samples, they can be viewed at www.ArturoBantug.com and www.TypeWise.com. You can also view the website www.TobysIceCream.com. I lurk on this board because I make ice cream and started an ice cream catering company a few years ago, for fun.

At any rate, please email me privately if you'd like to work together on a logo, menu, or business stationary.

I think your venture into the wholesale dessert business is fantastic! I hopefully will move into the food business full time myself, sometime in the near future. Your plan sounds solid and well thought out. I wish you the best of success!

Thanks,
Toby

Edited by tobism, 19 June 2003 - 12:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert