Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Japanese foods--Wagashi

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#241 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

It will partly depend on the type of bean jam used - if it's made traditionally, it doesn't keep all that well.

#242 Lucil

Lucil
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

thanks... wanted to ask also... any etiquette in eating wagashi in lets say a wagashi shop like toraya... can u order different kinds of wagashi .. like manju , yokan , namagashi and eat them in a single seating by yourself???

#243 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

You can, but you'd probably feel ill! They do go well with green tea, and some are designed to go with the sharp, bitter taste of foamy tea-ceremony tea...but one is about as many as you'd want in a sitting. The etiquette is to fold up any extras in paper and slip them into your kimono sleeve...

#244 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Location:Shiozawa area of Minami Uonuma city, Niigata, Japan

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Do we really have to answer that question of Lucil?? :biggrin:
Of course, the wagashi shop will be happy to fill your order. The best customer is the one who orders the most... I don't think this has nothing to do with etiquette...
Like Helen implied, though, I don't think you can have that many wagashi all at once.

#245 yunnermeier

yunnermeier
  • participating member
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

wagashi really fills you up. one is enough, really! 2-3 is about the maximum I can swallow...

#246 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

What do you guys think about Shiroi Taiyaki? Just out of curiosity, I bought some the other day, and found it not to my taste. My son even said it was "mazui" (not good).

#247 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Do you think that's because white bean jam is a minority taste in the first place, or do you think the problem is the bland plus bland effect of rather doughy crust with a very mild bean jam?

I'm not too fond of custard taiyaki either, but I can imagine white bean taiyaki being quite good with something more aromatic. Citrus? Tropical flavor? A dab of black sesame paste?

#248 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Do you think that's because white bean jam is a minority taste in the first place, or do you think the problem is the bland plus bland effect of rather doughy crust with a very mild bean jam?

I'm not too fond of custard taiyaki either, but I can imagine white bean taiyaki being quite good with something more aromatic. Citrus? Tropical flavor? A dab of black sesame paste?

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant by Shiroi Taiyaki. I meant "Shiroi Taiyaki" of Fujiya, the type of taiyaki whose crust is made with tapioca flour to get that mochi-mochi texture.
Images of Shiro Taiyaki
I bought regular azuki (140 yen), custard, matcha, and chocolate (150 yen each).

#249 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Aha! I have seen those, without really registering what they were. The combination of chewy, doughy crust plus soft/heavy filling doesn't sound great, but I'll put the Junior Research Team onto it!

Which did you think worked better - the heavier bean filling, or lighter custardy fillings?

#250 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Aha! I have seen those, without really registering what they were. The combination of chewy, doughy crust plus soft/heavy filling doesn't sound great, but I'll put the Junior Research Team onto it!

Which did you think worked better - the heavier bean filling, or lighter custardy fillings?

I'd say neither worked quite right with the mochi-mochi texture.