Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pizza in New Jersey

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#31 TheBoatMan

TheBoatMan
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 01:38 PM

No one likes Sciortino's at 395 New Brunswick Ave., Perth Amboy?  They have some of the best brick oven-baked pizza in NJ.  Place is ran by a group of older Italian women.  Home made sauce.  The sausage one is to die for.  Not your usual junk pieces of sliced sausage but real crumbled sausage.  Tasty.  Just be careful of your surroundings :)
"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

#32 giannone

giannone
  • legacy participant
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 02:20 PM

Yes, I've been to Sciortino's a couple of times and enjoyed their pies.  I didn't think they stood up to Grimaldi's though.

#33 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 04:04 PM

Since we're beginning to go a little south, i will mention that i recently tried Conte's in Princeton.

I was fairly disappointed in their pie, although i will admit that it was take-out and we had a 20 minute drive to get home before we ate it.

Next time i will surely venture to Delorenzo's as it's the other "known" pizza place in that area.

Also, although it belongs on the NY Board, i also recently tried Nick's in Forest Hills.  Although "good", it certainly is NOT worth all the hype it receives.

#34 bunny

bunny
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 11:30 AM

what about plumbo's in old bridge now they got a decent pie over there

#35 Bilmo

Bilmo
  • legacy participant
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 08:49 PM

If anyone is interested in very good white clam pizza in New Jersey, you can venture down to the Chambersburg section of Trenton and try it at "Delorenzo's Tomato Pies" on HAMILTON ST.  The white clam pies at the Hudson street establishment of the same name (I think it's the same family, but not the same business) is not as good.

But...  Hudson Street has Hamilton beat on all the other pies.

#36 jordan

jordan
  • legacy participant
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 05:15 PM

My favorite NJ Pizza is Fort Lee Pizza.  You can't beat the thin crust.  Anyone agree?

#37 tautog

tautog
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 04:53 PM

For those down the shore, Regina Pizzeria in Atlantic Highlands makes a very good pie, both thin and thick crust. When I order out I always tell them well done and get there a few minutes to tell the old man manning the oven to make sure it's well done. He is one of the few who is still fussy about his product and will make sure you have good blistering and a bit of char on that crust. Only downside is that the cheese is not as good as the sause and crust. If you eat in, the pizzeria is also a good sit down Italian-American restaurant.

#38 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:24 PM

Since this thread was resurrected, i will add a slightly off topic reply and add that i recently went to Denino's in Staten Island, and i think it's the best pizza in the tri-state area, and perhaps the best i've ever had!

Still have a few more on the list of "must try" which includes some place i was just tipped off about in Coney Island, Totonno's, and still yet to get to DeLorenzo's in Trenton, but i'll put it on my New Year's Resolution list if i don't do it within a few months.

#39 TheMan,TheMyth

TheMan,TheMyth
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:21 AM

Brooklyn Pizza in Ridgewood and Hackensack
Nellie's in Waldwick
Carmen's Pizzeria (a.k.a. Pete and Elda's) in Neptune City
Maria's Colonial Inn in Manasquan
Squan Tavern in Manasquan
Jimmy's Restaurant in Asbury Park
3 Brothers of Italy in Belmar
Vic's Restaurant in Bradley Beach

All solid pies, but the best by far is Carmen's Pizzeria. Arguably the best thin crust in New Jersey.

The Man, The Myth
TapItorScrapIt.com

#40 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:48 AM

Since this thread was resurrected, i will add a slightly off topic reply and add that i recently went to Denino's in Staten Island, and i think it's the best pizza in the tri-state area, and perhaps the best i've ever had!

What style of pie do they serve at Denino's? If it's thin crust, my next question would be if you've been to Sally's Apizza in New Haven? The ingredients they use for everything there are just sooooooo good. The only thing I think they could do better would be to put some "oomph" into their sauce.

#41 Double 0

Double 0
  • participating member
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 10:34 AM

First time I've seen this thread. I want to put my vote in for Pizza Town on RT 46 west in Lodi. Great slices! They always seem to be fres( not oxidized) thin crust, tart sauce and lite cheese. You can't get any extras on a slice, but you can on a whole pie. I think the place was an old Westons that they added a screened dining area with picnic tables.
I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

#42 rozrapp

rozrapp
  • participating member
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:46 PM

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Federici's in Freehold. Very good thin crust pizza with lots of different toppings available. In this year's NJ Monthly poll, it was voted best pizza in Central NJ, and Springsteen used to eat here and, maybe, on occasion, still does -- if either of these things matters. In nice weather, you can enjoy your pizza sitting on the sidewalk patio.

Another place for well-made thin crust pizza, including "designer" pizzas, is Gaetano's, in Red Bank. Excellent antipasti and pasta, as well.

#43 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 01:06 PM

Denino's pie is not thick crust, but it's not wafer thin either... i would say it's slightly thinner than the "traditional pizza slice on the corner" i grew up with (remember the days when it was just "pizza" and not Neopolitan, thin crust, traditional, fresh mozzarella, spinach, etc).

Besides quality ingredients (a delightful sweet sauce), i think what makes their pies so incredible is that the crust gets crispy and actually crunches when you bite into it, without being too thin. I think Grimali's makes a very good pie, but the problem i have with all of this variety is that the crust gets soggy once you're done with the first 2 slices (if you eat fast)... this doesn't happen at Denino's, the crust stays crunchy throught the entire pie, no matter how slowly you eat. The entire operation is family run, and i like that aspect too.

Another plus about Denino's is after pizza, you can go across the street to Ralph's for dessert (great Italian ices, but they also offer a "creamed ice" which i had never heard of before and this was FANTASTIC.... but this is for another thread).

As for Sally's, we tried to go once on our way up to Mystic, CT and they were closed for vacation so we ended up at Pepe's down the road. While the pizza was not bad, i didn't understand the whole cult following around New Haven pizza. There is often a battle between whose pie is better between Pepe's and Sally's, and if they are both close in quality/taste, i didn't see the need to try the other one. I will certainly give it another try when in the area, but a little far to travel just to "give it another try", and thus far i haven't been back in the area.

Give Denino's a try and i'm certain you won't be disappointed... it's less than 5 minutes from the Bayonne Bridge and probably 10 minutes or so if you take the Goethal's (traffic permitting of course).

#44 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 03:35 PM

As for Sally's, we tried to go once on our way up to Mystic, CT and they were closed for vacation so we ended up at Pepe's down the road.  While the pizza was not bad, i didn't understand the whole cult following around New Haven pizza.  There is often a battle between whose pie is better between Pepe's and Sally's, and if they are both close in quality/taste, i didn't see the need to try the other one.  I will certainly give it another try when in the area, but a little far to travel just to "give it another try", and thus far i haven't been back in the area.

I've been to both Sally's and Frank Pepe's and I really feel that Sally's is better. It's subtle, but the crust is just tastier, the cheese seems more flavorful, etc. Pepe's just didn't leave the same impression on me. However, I completely sympathize with you about not understanding "the whole cult following around New Haven pizza". I travel to Boston pretty frequently (from 6-12 times a year) so I like to stop in every now and then for some pizza when I'm passing through New Haven during the 5 hour window that these places are open. It's definitely worth a stop if you're in the mood for thin crust pizza, but I wouldn't base an entire trip around it.

Denino's sounds like it's interesting though. I think I'd enjoy it because I like to order my "traditional" pies to be a little bit well done so that the crust is crispier. Generally speaking, I'm only in Staten Island when I'm passing through to see friends in Bensonhurst (at which point I'd choose to head over to L&B Spumoni Gardens), but I may make the stop at Denino's if you give me an address.

#45 tautog

tautog
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 03:58 PM

Patsy's in Harlem, not the bad chains, is the best in NYC in my opinion. Deninos is probably second because it is really consistant while other good pies like the Original John's or Totonnos are great one day and mediocre the next. Pepe's has the best clam pie, the regular pie is better than most but not to Pasty's standards. Lombardis also makes a very good clam pie.

#46 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:01 PM

Deninos Pizzeria Tavern
524 Port Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10302
718-442-9401

As i've stated before, i WILL travel for pizza, and if journeying to a new area for another reason, i often find out if there is "destination pizza" in the area... this is how i ended up at L+B Spumoni Gardens one nite.

I thought the pizza at L+B was 'fair' but that the spumoni was exceptional (i don't think i ever had true spumoni before this). I've heard L+B has been sold and isn't as good as it used to be, although i don't know the validity to this, and i don't know if it is true, if i was there before the changing of owners. Also, i was reminded of L+B when i went to Denino's the first time as we went to Ralph's across the street for dessert, so it had the nostagia of a "pizza and ice cream" nite.

If you typically order your pizzas a little well done for crispiness reasons, you won't need to do this at Denino's, and i would recommend you don't as you might very well end up with a burnt pie.

If you like what i refer to as "ultra-thin crust" i would also suggest Kinchley's Tavern in Mahwah, which might be convenient depending upon where in "201" you are (Kinchley's is great, but it's no comparison to Denino's).

Since you might ask anways...
Kinchley's Tavern
586 N. Franklin Tpke. (Spring St.)
Ramsey, NJ, 07446-1182
(201) 934-7777

PS- since you make the NY/Boston Trip often, have you ever stopped off at Ted's Restaurant for steamed burgers? It's a "fun" hole in the wall spot with an interesting (and dirt cheap) stop along the way, i gave a write-up a few months back i think in both the burger thread in this forum as well as on the CT board, try a search in each using my name if you have an interest.

#47 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:19 PM

Pizza Master's is a slice place. 532 Broadway. I also like their foccacia sandwiches.

Hey Rosie...

Who told you about their foccacia sandwiches? :rolleyes: someone we know?

Randi
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

#48 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:36 AM

If you like what i refer to as "ultra-thin crust" i would also suggest Kinchley's Tavern in Mahwah, which might be convenient depending upon where in "201" you are (Kinchley's is great, but it's no comparison to Denino's).

PS- since you make the NY/Boston Trip often, have you ever stopped off at Ted's Restaurant for steamed burgers?

I've been a long-time fan of Kinchley's, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of steamed burgers. Thanks for Denino's address and the suggestions though.

I enjoy L&B Spumoni gardens quite a bit, but I don't travel exclusively to get there since I'm not the sort who would travel very far for pizza (working in a pizzeria for 3 years can sometimes have that effect). I wish there was a place around here where I could get the same style of Sicillian pie that they serve there (dough, cheese, sauce... layered in that order). Anybody got any ideas?

#49 finker99

finker99
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:18 AM

THE LIDO THE LIDO THE LIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Main Street in Hackensack,

Very thin crust served in a dark and dingy setting, no delivery, no call in orders, but man is the pizza amazing.

This is the only place I go to get pizza.

I usually get a medium pie as an app and the sliced steak as an entree mmmmmmmmmmm

THE LIDO THE LIDO THE LIDO!!!!
The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

#50 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:54 AM

You get the idea that Fink's excited about this place? :wink:

Seriously Fink, I'm gonna try it eventually ('cause I know you recommended it to me before) ... but I've got to be in a pizza mood AND I've got to remember the name of the place once I'm in that mood.

Of course, this helps:

THE LIDO THE LIDO THE LIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#51 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:58 AM

Ah... screw it! I'm gonna be in Hackensack anyway and since they've got medium pies, I may as well try this Lido place today. Report to follow...

(I know, I know... it doesn't take much to twist my arm sometimes)

#52 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 10:25 AM

Been to Lido many times growing up, and i had forgotten about it.... it's the type of place that if i remembered any of the waitresses, it wouldn't surprise me to see them still working there!

I too remember eating a very good thin crust pie there, and then having their specialty of the house, "open sliced steak sandwich (with cheese on top)."

Haven't been there in many years (10+), so looking forward to the report.

Fink,

If you like Lido's pie, you should check out Kinchley's, same type of style. May or not be worth trip depeding on where in NJ you are starting your jaunt from.

#53 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 02:56 PM

Damn you, Fink!!!
DAAAAAMMMMN YOUUUUUUU!!!!

For everyone else... Lido doesn't open until 5 pm. A little piece of information that Mr. Fink failed to note in his post, but I happened to pick up when I showed up around 2pm with saliva dripping down my chin from all the anticipation.

Ah well, another day.

#54 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 03:06 PM

so why didnt you goto a bar and get the pizza a few hours later...

#55 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 04:51 PM

so why didnt you goto a bar and get the pizza a few hours later...

I don't drink and I didn't really have that much time to kill. Since it was going to be a meal between lunch and dinner (linner?) anyway, I decided just to skip it. I'm not really mad at Fink though, that reaction was meant to be too over-the-top to be taken seriously.

#56 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 04:53 PM

i figured you werent upset...i was just kidding around too...

#57 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:32 PM

you could have went down to Changes and shot some pool with guys with less than a full compliment of teeth but more than a full compliment of inebriation. always a pleasure that Changes is. good table, though.

my mother-in-law tells me that Lido has been there forever. it's more of a restaurant than a pizza joint, no?

#58 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:35 PM

i figured you werent upset...i was just kidding around too...

Damn you, Sarcasm!! Damn you for not conveying very well on message boards!!! :raz:

#59 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:43 PM

You are a pretty funny guy :laugh:

So what did you eat instead of the awesome pizza?!?

#60 201

• legacy participant
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:45 PM

my mother-in-law tells me that Lido has been there forever.  it's more of a restaurant than a pizza joint, no?

Well, since it's open only for dinner I would tend to think that's true. Of course, those New Haven places ONLY serve pizza (and drinks) and they aren't open for lunch either. Does your mother-in-law have any opinion of Lido?

By the way (yet still on topic), I saw another restaurant/pizza place advertising thin crust pizza today on my way through Saddle Brook. I want to go there just to shake the hand of the person who named the establishment (drum roll, please):

Pizghetti
(or something to that effect, the way young children mispronounce spaghetti... I don't recall exactly how it was spelled).

It's on Saddle River Road and I think it's new, but I also think the last time I was on that stretch of Saddle River Road was about four years ago. Anybody been there?