Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lamb Stew

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Xanthippe

Xanthippe
  • legacy participant
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 07:57 PM

While in Spain, I had the pleasure of eating several delicious versions of what I understand is a classic dish: lamb ragout with roasted roasted peppers. The meat was marinated in olive oil, wine, cumin, and sweet paprika. The stew, if I recall, contained onions, garlic, lemon juice, additional paprika (and perhaps cumin?), and lots of roasted red peppers (which might have been piquillo peppers, now that I know what they are). One version also contained tomatoes; another had some sort of piquant ingredient(s) as well. Are you familiar with this dish? Does your book have a recipe for it, or something like it??

Thank you, Marina, for participating in this Q&A.

#2 Marina Chang

Marina Chang
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:46 PM

The dish you describe sounds like a classic lamb stew from Navarra, Cordero a la Chilindrón. It is my understanding that this ancient stew was originally made with lamb and choricero peppers, which are used in making chorizo. Modern recipes I have seen use fresh sweet red peppers – canned pimientos or red bell peppers will work. The piquant ingredient you seek is probably cayenne pepper.

My book contains a recipe for Aragon Lamb Roasted with White Wine and Herbs, and a Marinated Leg of Lamb with Anchovies and Garlic, but it does not contain the recipe for this lamb stew. However, I can tell you that the versions I have seen contain anywhere from 2 to 3 pounds of lamb, a few slices of bacon or ham, 1or 2 onions, 1 or 2 garlic cloves, 4 to 6 tomatoes (or one pound), 2 large red bell peppers or several more small piquillo peppers, 1 bay leaf, 1 or 2 pinches of cayenne pepper, and sometimes 1 teaspoon of paprika. If covered and cooked over low heat, this dish requires no additional liquid. Nonetheless some recipes add 1/2 to 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of vegetable or beef stock.

- Marina
[size="2"][/size]Marina C.