Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Posole

Mexican

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jogoode

jogoode
  • participating member
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:50 PM

Hi,
I searched for some threads on posole and did not find an answer to my question. So here it is:

In my experience, posole is accompanied by a plate of onions, cilantro, lime, and chips that you mix in while you eat. (occasionally I see radishes) I understand that there are probably different versions, etc... And the only posole I've eaten has been served by restaurants in downtown Poughkeepsie (a city with a large Mexican population and a number of great restaurants that cater to Mexican customers).

Please tell me if these tasty extras are particular to the posole of a certain region or if they should accompany all posole.
JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!
www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

#2 docsconz

docsconz
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 02:08 PM

I cannot provide any information for this thread, however, I would further the enquiry to include techniques for making posole. Are there any special techniques? I bought some in New Mexico and so far I haven't figureed out what to do with it : :rolleyes:
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#3 sladeums

sladeums
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 05:12 PM

The dish Posole is said to have originated in Guerrero (Posole Blanco and Posole Verde) and a more commonly seen version (Posole Rojo) was said to have originated in Jalisco.

The default condiments served with Posole would be:
cabbage or lettuce, lime, and onions.

In Michoacan they also serve dried oregano.

In Guerrero, Posole Verde can be served with avocado and chicarron are as well as the oregano.

Frequently you may also bolillos, cilantro or sometimes chiles (in those places that are so slack as to not have chiles on the table).

You mention tortilla chips - that I've not seen...and it may be a compromise for the cabbage which is there as a textural component.

Basically it comes down to whatever you like, there are no specific rules - but really, cabbage, lime and onion should be there...anything else can be included to satisfy tradition, personal taste or regional demand.

As for making Posole, if you have the raw version you should be slaking it, removing the pedicel and cooking the corn per your recipes directions.

If you were asking if there were other things to do with posole - I've also seen it included in turkey caldos and chicken guisados and also saw an interesting recipe for a side dish that was posole, corn and rajas - the posole was cooked in a bit of stock until the stock reduced and then the corn and rajas added.

there were other threads disussing posole here:

click me for 'Why is Liza's posole like gravel'?

click here to find out how Posole took over the 'Chicken Soups of the World' thread

edit: added info re history/versions

Edited by sladeums, 14 April 2003 - 07:13 AM.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

#4 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:25 PM

Posole refers to the corn preparation (hominy to us) as well as a stew like preparation that contains posole so I am not sure of the question. I posted a recipe for one preparation done with leftover BBQ that I had in Queretaro on the recipe archive. You can take that technique as somewhat typical. I don't know how to put a link here but you can search on "posole". There are some posole recipes in some of the better Mexican cookbooks. Think... Bayless, Kennedy, Martinez.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#5 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer
  • legacy participant
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 02:56 PM

My sous chef's wife(who's from Michuacon, Mex) makes the greatest pozole. Hominy, roasted tomato base, long stewed pork shoulder and their bones, etc. She serves it with cabbage, raw onion, homemade tortilla, Mexican oregano. I like it with chipotle puree and queso fresco. It's the bomb. Pardon the sixteen something slang.

#6 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 03:14 PM

Yum, Spencer. I have never tried making it with the pork shoulder. I am going to try that next time I have a crowd to feed. I think I can guess at how to make the roasted tomato "stuff". Does she start off with the pork shoulder raw? Do you have any hints on details of the technique? That cook in Queretaro seemed to think if it didn't have the Mexican oregano that the heavens would fall in and the gods would desert us!
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#7 guajolote

guajolote
  • participating member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

MY friends from Guanajuato (state, not city) make their posole with pork neck bones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican