Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tempering Chocolate

Chocolate Confections

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#301 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

As for the accuracy of IR thermometers...  Confectionery partner Barbara and I were making toffee last week and using my IR thermometer.  Strangely the batch was beginning to burn but didn't register the required temperature on my thermometer.  Barbara brought out her thermometer and it registered much hotter than mine...which would explain the slight burning smell.  (The toffee was scrumptious anyway.)

Then Barbara noticed that my battery was signaling 'low'.  Aha!  So that was the reason.  New battery in.  Thermometer back in the running...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#302 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

As for the accuracy of IR thermometers...  Confectionery partner Barbara and I were making toffee last week and using my IR thermometer.  Strangely the batch was beginning to burn but didn't register the required temperature on my thermometer.  Barbara brought out her thermometer and it registered much hotter than mine...which would explain the slight burning smell.  (The toffee was scrumptious anyway.)

Then Barbara noticed that my battery was signaling 'low'.  Aha!  So that was the reason.  New battery in.  Thermometer back in the running...

Have you found that IR thermometers are reasonably accurate (with fresh batteries)?  I have been wondering.  Yesterday I tested, and both IR and non-IR gave approximately the same reading.  Other times they have been too far apart for comfort.  I am new to using IR and am still not confident enough in the accuracy.  But they certainly are convenient, especially when testing two different mixtures at the same time and when one of them is tempered chocolate (it's difficult to remember that I mustn't dip a regular thermometer into some liquid and then into tempered chocolate).

#303 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Have you found that IR thermometers are reasonably accurate (with fresh batteries)?  I have been wondering.  Yesterday I tested, and both IR and non-IR gave approximately the same reading.  Other times they have been too far apart for comfort.  I am new to using IR and am still not confident enough in the accuracy.  But they certainly are convenient, especially when testing two different mixtures at the same time and when one of them is tempered chocolate (it's difficult to remember that I mustn't dip a regular thermometer into some liquid and then into tempered chocolate).

First low battery/low inaccurate reading for me, so I can't really comment.

Edited by Darienne, 20 December 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#304 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,860 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

I don't trust the IR on boiling stuff - just on chocolate - even then I know some of mine read a little off - so I tend to read the chocolate more than anything.  It starts to look tempered - one of those things that only experience can give - and I still get fooled when I'm using a new chocolate which doesn't react as I expect it to.

#305 chopperreed

chopperreed
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has experience with making perfectly tempered couverture chocolate to get that brilliant shine to make truffles etc? any help appreciated!

#306 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Tempering chocolate just takes time and practice, but once you get it down, your golden. What exactly are you having trouble with? Have you tempered chocolate before? What kind of chocolate are you using? Is it safe to assume that since you want that sheen on your bonbons, your molding the chocolates rather then hand dipping them? What references have you consulted for tempering?

I honestly dont mean to just throw all those questions out there. It can be overwhelming if your new to working with the stuff, but the more info you provide the easier it is for everyone to pitch in for a solution.

#307 Chelseabun

Chelseabun
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

Chopperreed: Have you made any attempts at tempering yet? 

#308 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

We've got a variety of topics about chocolate tempering and finishes.

#309 chopperreed

chopperreed
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

ive tried tempering lindt dark couverture, going off by books by heating up the chocolate to a certain temp (cant remember to be exact), cooling it down, heating again, cooling it down, i was making bourbon chocolate truffles and dipping the balls in the chocolate and letting it set cold in the fridge, the final shine is ok but i think im still not getting it right since ive seen people doing it and the shine when its set is immaculate, i know a plastic mould would get a shiny surface under some circumstances but that hand rolled truffle is difficult to get perfect.

#310 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Do you have pictures of the truffles you made? Was your chocolate in temper...  Was it a uniform color when it dried? Did it have a nice snap to it when you bit into a truffle? You will not get the same level of shine from a dipped piece as you will get with a molded piece.  Also, you should not have to put your dipped truffles into the fridge to have them set up. Just wondering if your chocolate was tempered and not as shiny as you expected or if it was out of temper.  Also, have a look at the link Lisa Shock included, they will provide a lot more information.

#311 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

As someone who doesn't temper chocolate often, I'm just going to chime in to say that the more you do it, the easier it will get. I started off the same as you – learning from a book, raising-lowering-raising the temperature. But the more you do it, the more you'll get a feel for how the chocolate should behave at certain temperatures and how it will feel when it's in temper. Now I don't even need to bother with a thermometer if I'm just doing a small amount.

Read the info at the links suggested above, and keep practicing!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#312 chopperreed

chopperreed
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

thanks for all the replies guys! will keep trying and perfect it!

#313 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

letting it set cold in the fridge, the final shine is ok but i think im still not getting it right since ive seen people doing it and the shine when its set is immaculate

Unless you have a warm room, if you have to set your chocolate in the fridge, it's not tempered correctly. (If you do have a warm room, don't try to temper chocolate  :rolleyes:   ) The problem with the methods on the internet that say 'heat to 45 / cool to 27 / heat to 32' © are that they never mention that to get the correct crystals to form, you need to give the chocolate plenty of movement - ie, stirring! LOTS of stirring! When you think you've got the chocolate right, take a test - dip a spatula into the chocolate, clean off one side and leave it on the bench. Dark chocolate should set in under 5 minutes at room temperature (say, less than 22C). When you look at the set chocolate, it should be smooth and perfect, there shouldn't be any streaks or dots on it. You can get away with a few streaks/dots - this means you just need to stir it a bit more to create more crystals.

You won't get the reflective shine on an enrobed chocolate that you do with a moulded chocolate. The best you can hope for is smooth and perfect, but not shiny!

• emmalish likes this

#314 Tania

Tania
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

I've been hearing that using an instant-read thermometer really help, have you ever tried it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate, Confections