Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Okonomiyaki

Asian

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 dougery

dougery
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:38 AM

Sorry folks, no pics for me either. I decided to make my Okonomiyaki yesterday since I couldn't do it on the first.

Pretty basic: batter, cabbage, scallions, ika, gobo, with side pork on top.

topped with bonito, and nori (no mayo or okonomiyaki sauce for me).

I think I'll have it again today as well!

Thanks for initiating Okonomiyaki day Kris! Our new annual celebration! I'm going to try to get my family to celebrate this day as well.

Kompai!
"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

#62 albiston

albiston
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

Back from vacation, very little stuff in my fridge: eggs, scallions and cabbage among the few items bought imediately after coming home. I would have never thought of mixing the three together to be honest.

Then I start browsing eGullet again, looking around till I stumble on this thread. Mmmh... okonomiyaki... I heard about these before but I have no clue about what they are. I read this thread throughout, then the older threads too and I'm totally hooked. I must make some.

So, following dougery's recipe from a previous thread I mix the batter. Topping is hard, very little there, but I manage to scrape some gari, some bonito flakes and some sesame seeds together.

And here it is, my first take on okonomiyaki. Not on time but I hope I'll be excused :smile: .

Posted Image

No sauce available, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Thanks to all you guys for your intriguing posts that made this japanese-food ignorant Italian hooked on okonomiyaki. I'll be making these again. And thanks to Kristin for coming up with this great thread.
Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

#63 dougery

dougery
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

WOW! That looks fantastic! My first attempt at okonomiyaki looked like a blob, yours looks like a work of art!

Now that you have the basics down, it's time to expiriment! There is a photo earlier in the thread with Hiroshima style okonomiyaki (w/noodles), definitely worth trying. There are sooo many possibilities when it comes to okonomiyaki... just remember, anything goes!

I've got to leave this thread, your photo is making me too hungry :wacko:

Happy okonomiyaki day!
"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

#64 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:01 PM

Jhlurie and I had our first okonomiyaki at the food court Mitsuwa asian mart in Edgewater, NJ a few days ago whilst on a okashi shopping frenzy.

I would probably closer equate it to the korean "pajun" than Pizza -- it was quite tasty and I could probably get hooked on them. The one we had was a veggie/beef combo, and the top had drizzed tonkatsu sauce and mayonaisse on it -- as well as bonito shavings, which both of us removed since they were smokey and fishy tasting (a flavor neither of us likes) and "fluttered" due to the thermodynamic effects of pancake to topping heat transfer, which kind of freaked us out.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#65 growpower

growpower
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:56 AM

Can someone tell me what the okonomiyake mix that I get at stores contain besides flour please? From what I can read of the Japanese, it seems to have flour, egg powder and a bunch of other artificial flavorings, which I am not found of.

My friend gave me an Osakan style okonomiyake recipe that I love, but it uses the mix. So actually, I guess my real question is if I don't want to use the mix, what can I use in place of it, and in what proportions? I notice a lot of people are using Nagaimo, is that a requirement?

Here are the ingredients from my friend's recipe if it makes any difference.

Two cups of Okonomiyaki flour
A cup of Japanese fish broth (or water plus Dashinomoto (instant bouillon))
Two eggs
half a cabbage
1/2 bunch of green onion
squid (shrimp)
1/2 cup of tenkasu (tempura crumbs)
150 gram of sliced pork
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
Okonomiyaki sauce
Mayonnaise
Katsuobushi (dried bonito flake)
Nori (green powdered seaweed)

-thanks

#66 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:49 PM

I haven't used an okonomiyaki mix for a long time and I can't for the life of me remember the major brand that is on all of the supermarket shelves, but I did look at the ingredients of a couple brands I found for sale on the net and the ingredient lists are similar.
Basically they were a mix of flour and corn flour with powdered yamaimo (mountain yam), powdered katsuo, salt, sugars, msg, etc, one had baking powder and an other had spices like paprika and tumeric....

My recipe is similar to your friends except I use regular flour and add grated nagaimo/yamaimo and I don't add the cheese.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#67 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

some great pictures of okonomiyaki, includes shots of an okonomiyaki restaurant:
http://daveahlman.co...okonomiyaki.htm

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#68 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie
  • participating member
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

some great pictures of okonomiyaki, includes shots of an okonomiyaki restaurant:
http://daveahlman.co...okonomiyaki.htm

View Post

Oh, Kris, you wicked, wicked woman! Now I want Okonomiyaki!

I sadly missed the communal Okonomiyaki Day back in October due to my Mother's passing -- I had been saving up some of the batter to make for her and was sad she never got to taste mine, passing away the day before we eG'ers were to cook our's...

#69 lambretta76

lambretta76
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

First off - I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a member of eGullet from NYC and you'll be hearing a lot from me in the next few months as I'll be on my way back to Japan for a short vacation.

Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite Japanese foods, and I was lucky enough to have some great versions in Yokohama and Kobe on my last trip to Japan during the World Cup.

However, I'd like to try some of your favorites, and was wondering if anyone could recommend great places for okonomiyaki in Tokyo and Kyoto. Of particular interest would be Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, which I am not sure is available in the States.

Many thanks!

#70 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

However, I'd like to try some of your favorites, and was wondering if anyone could recommend great places for okonomiyaki in Tokyo and Kyoto. Of particular interest would be Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki, which I am not sure is available in the States.

View Post

Don't bother trying to find Hiroshima-style in Tokyo, stick to what they do best and go for monjyayaki/monjayaki instead!!

The best place to get this is in Tsukijima, Tokyo were there are somehing like 60 shops in 500m block, lots of okonomiyaki as well.

Here is some information on how to eat monjyayaki
as well as information about the all-you-can-eat monjyayaki boat cruise in Tokyo Bay.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#71 Culinista

Culinista
  • participating member
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:08 AM

We just had our first Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki.

Mitchan was closed the day we visited, so we took our taxi driver's recommendation of Henkutsuya, across the alley from Okonomimura. (A note here: I have never seen such aggressive shilling in Japan.) We squeezed in at the counter and ordered one Special Deluxe with soba and one without noodles but with pork, egg, and squid. We found that the one with noodles was much better balanced, even if it was heavier. We ate it right off the teppan with little spatulas. I noticed most people attacked only half at a time, but some cut it into pie wedges and others into little squares. I found squares easier. The sauce was outstanding.

Hiroshima-style seems to take a little more skill to construct than the way I make it. (My house version: a thin, crisp crepe with lacy edges, which I fill only on one side with ginger, green onion, chikuwa, scallops, shrimp, squid, shredded cabbage, and bonito flakes. I drizzle a little more batter over the pile and then flip it over, using 2 spatulas to press the pancake as flat as possible. Bulldog tonkatsu sauce is always in our house for these moments.) I saw one grill man in Okonomimura expertly make thin egg crepes the exact size of the noodle and filling rounds, all cooked separately. He then stacked them together and proceeded to press the edges together in a perfectly sealed seam.

I'd love to get those little half-moon-shaped individual spatulas.

Also available from hotels and tourist info in Hiroshima: an Okonomiyaki Map.

#72 easternsun

easternsun
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:04 AM

i decide to make okonomi for dinner and wanted to make my own sauce. the thing is - i want it to taste like the sauce at the little hole in the wall shops we frequent :laugh:

i do have a recipe for sauce but i thought i would put it out here for you all - what is the best store bought sauce? what is the best sauce recipe? sauce with dijon or sauce without dijon (i cant decide)

one more thing, why do tokyoites say age-dama and osakans say tenkasu for the little tempura bits? i asked dh (who is trying desperately to reform my osaka-ben speaking ways into a polite lady who uses teinei :raz: ) but he just said tenkasu is not polite - then why is it on the packages :blink:
"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

#73 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

this is currently my favorite sauce

Posted Image

sesame tonkatsu sauce by Bulldog

I prefer karashi (Jaapnese mustard ) on mine.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#74 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

one more thing, why do tokyoites say age-dama and osakans say tenkasu for the little tempura bits?  i asked dh (who is trying desperately to reform my osaka-ben speaking ways into a polite lady who uses teinei :raz: ) but he just said tenkasu is not polite - then why is it on the packages :blink:

View Post

this sounds like a question for the Kanto vs kansai thread

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#75 easternsun

easternsun
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

well, i made the okonomiyaki last night and i did make my own sauce (3 of them actually :raz: ).

what i learned: lea and perrins Worcestershire Sauce is not the same as japanese sauce! that never occured to me until this little experiment.

i basically used a 4 tbsp of shoyu and 2 tbsp of everything else approach and then added some extra worchestershire at the end of the cooking process.

out of the three batches i added dijon to the second and karashi to the third. the original sauce won and was used on both the okonomiyaki and the yaki soba.

the funny thing is that it really tasted different once applied - in the bowl it just did not taste "right". on the okonomiyaki it was just great!

dh was honest enough to tell me that he had his doubts and wondered why i didnt just buy sauce like "everyone else" :rolleyes: but in the end, dinner received the seal of approval and five stars (a game we play every night - how many stars always preceeds gochisousamadesu!)

now what am i going to do with the other two batches of mustard flavoured sauces :huh:

#76 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:12 PM

I had been wanting to try negiyaki for sometime now and finally had the chance.

This is a speciality from Osaka that in made with green onions instead of cabbage.

Posted Image

on the grill

Posted Image

the restaurant suggested eating it with soy sauce and katsuo bushi (bonito flakes) but I felt this added nothing. I remember easternsun mentioning eating it with ponzu and wish they had had some.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#77 easternsun

easternsun
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

Here are some okonomi shots from Tennoji Market:

Posted Image

On the grill...

Posted Image

This is Ika-Yaki - the Osaka version :smile: (in Tokyo, Ika-Yaki is grilled squid on a stick) In this version the batter is simply egg and flour.

Posted Image

All ready to eat! I had one of these...there was a time service special and I got it for 200 yen ($2).

Kristin, I love Negi-Yaki! No ponzu is a shame....I will send you a bottle of Asahi Ponzu anytime!

#78 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

I have discovered that for my family of 5 it is much easier to make a bunch of mini-okonomiyakis on the hot plate than big ones. This way everyone can add what ever they want to theirs.

on the hot plate
Posted Image

on the paper plate :biggrin:
Posted Image

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#79 AzianBrewer

AzianBrewer
  • participating member
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

Torakris, the mini-me's look excellent. The shaved bonito is a must in Okonomi. Some places even used powdered seaweed. My Korean friend has incorporated chopped Kimchee to her recipe.
Leave the gun, take the canoli

#80 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:33 AM

Tennoji market, boy that brings back a few memories! Hope you're enjoying it! I often heard that Osaka people regard okonomiyaki as a meal, while Tokyo people think of it as a snack.

Regarding "tenkasu", I think the problem may be that "kasu" is a term of abuse. In fact, there's a little campaign going on at my son's school by the boys who like to beat him up to make the teachers think that my son calls them "kasu".

#81 fenyx66

fenyx66
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

I love Okonomiyaki. Adding kimchi sounds great, I must try it. My favorite topping is mochi and cheese. The soft warm mochi, that is slightly crispy from where it has touched the grill, mixed with the delicious melted white cheese are excellent. If it hasn't been suggested yet, I recommend this. Of course the sauce, katsuobushi and nori sprinkles are a must on all okonomiyaki.

#82 JasonTrue

JasonTrue
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Kabocha Cheese Okonomiyaki (blog entry)

I made this okonomiyaki with almost no liquid: just a lot of oroshi-imo (from nagaimo), flour, an egg, and a tiny bit of dashijiru. No water. It turned out to have a very nice crispness.

The idea is stolen from a chain okonomiyaki place I've been to once or twice. In the fall a few years ago, they offered a kabocha cheese okonomiyaki which had thin sliced kabocha in the cabbage/batter mixture, and mashed kabocha placed on top after both sides had cooked about 5 minutes each, dressed with some cheese, and covered for an extra couple of minutes until the cheese melts.

Posted Image

Edited by JasonTrue, 22 December 2005 - 12:01 AM.

Jason Truesdell
Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

#83 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

Jason, I think that "no water" is particularly characteristic of Osaka-style okonomiyaki. I prefer to make them that way too.
Mochi cheese topping for okonomiyaki...sounds like a good sort of dinner for teenage boys!

#84 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

I have never seen nor thought about putting kabocha in an okonomiyaki. I like it!!

I have used julienned kabocha to make a Korean jon (called chijimi in Japan).

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#85 jkonick

jkonick
  • participating member
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Here's another take on okonomiyaki with kabocha, but made on a George Form grill, in my dorm room: http://goutbacon.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#86 jeniac42

jeniac42
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

OK, so I had a lot of leftovers in the fridge, so I found this thread again and thought I would give okonomiyaki a try. This one had caramelized onions, yu choy instead of cabbage (I didn't have any cabbage), leftover sauteed corn with green peppers and paprika, and BACON on top. I used 1 egg, some flour, a little water with dashi-no-moto, put the bacon on one side of the pancake, and topped it with Bulldog sauce, Kewpie mayo, and katsuobushi. It was really good and I will definitely be eating this more often.

Posted Image
Jennie

#87 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:25 AM

My version of okonomiyaki:

Ingredients

1 X cabbage (sliced)
1 X half chicken breast (sliced)
1 X egg
2 X green onion (chopped)
1 CUP flour
1 CUP carrot (julienned dressed with some lemon juice)
1 CUP water
1/2 CUP tinned tuna
1/2 CUP kimchi
2-4 TBSP mayonnaise
4 TBSP kikkoman teriyaki sauce
3 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP thai fish sauce
3 TBSP mirin
4-8 TBSP okonomisauce
2-4 TBSP katsuobushi
1-2 TBSP aonori

Posted Image

first the batter, mix egg+flour+soysauce+fishsauce+mirin,
add water while mixing until the viscosity is maple-syrup-like

Posted Image

let the batter rest for 15-30 min and pan-fry the teriyaki chicken in the meantime

Posted Image

right before the cooking, dress the shredded cabbage with batter, use the batter
like a salad dressing, the cabbage shouldn't drown, make sure that the batter
is somewhat sticking to the cabbage, it shouldn't drip down to the buttom of the
bowl, if it's too runny then add some flour to the remaining batter until the
viscosity is correct

Posted Image

heat pan(s) or hot-plate on low to medium, coat with very little oil,
spread some cabbage and top as you like

Posted Image

filling #1: tuna, kimchi, chili flakes and green onion

Posted Image

filling #2: teriyaki chicken, green onions and the julienned carrot

Posted Image

then another layer of batter'd cabbage

Posted Image

flip from time to time, slightly browning them

Posted Image

almost done

Posted Image

Posted Image

when done, serve topped with okonomisauce, mayo, aonori and katsuobushi

Posted Image

I've cut them in half for two kinds of filling on one plate and two servings.

Comments are most welcome.

Edited by ChryZ, 10 September 2006 - 02:31 AM.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#88 Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki
  • participating member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Location:Shiozawa area of Minami Uonuma city, Niigata, Japan

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

View Post

Thank you ChryZ for sharing your "passion" with okonomiyaki. It must have cost you dear, buying all of these Japanese ingredients in Europe.
Did anyone tell you how to make okonomiyaki or is everything self-taught?
I wonder if you dislike beni shoga (red pickled ginger) or you simply can't get it where you live.
One more question: Is the mayo a Kewpie?

#89 ChryZ

ChryZ
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

View Post

Thank you ChryZ for sharing your "passion" with okonomiyaki. It must have cost you dear, buying all of these Japanese ingredients in Europe.
Did anyone tell you how to make okonomiyaki or is everything self-taught?
I wonder if you dislike beni shoga (red pickled ginger) or you simply can't get it where you live.
One more question: Is the mayo a Kewpie?

View Post

I've bought the japanese ingredients at a local japanese supermarket and the prices are actually quite reasonable.

Self-taught, I've read and tried a couple of recipes. I've tried many fillings and toppings. The version above is the result of quite a few okonomiyaki sessions and so far my favourite.

I like beni shoga and it's available, but it's not essential to me ... so I tend to forget it ^_^;

Yes, the mayo is indeed キユーピーマヨネーズ / Kewpie Mayonnaise.
Christian Z. aka ChryZ
[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

#90 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

I love the idea of kimchi in okonomiyaki. I order it in monjyayaki all the time I wonder why I never thought of doing it with okonomiyaki?? My kids would love it too.
The teriyaki chicken one looks great as well, I think I am going to need to pull out the hot plate soon..

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Asian