Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baking With Olive Oil

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 helenas

helenas
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:21 PM

Whoever finds this subject interesting, might want to check the Spring 2003 issue of "Eating Well" magazine.
The sample recipe for Lemon Almond Polenta Torta is available online.
Ginger Spice Carrot Cake and Orange Semolina cake are among the recipes i'm willing to try.

#2 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:29 PM

That Lemon Almond Polenta Torta sounds delicious. I'm so sorry that the recipe includes the calorie count. It leaves no way to delude myself.

#3 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:37 PM

I wish it didn't take so long for my subscribtions to reach me! :sad:

At least I can try the one on line, Thak you!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#4 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:48 AM

The Ligurian Lemon Cake recipe from Pierre Herme and Dorrie Greenspan's "Desserts" has olive oil in it. Nightscotsman made it once, and it's one of the best cakes I've ever had.
"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."
-- State Senator John Burton, joking about
how the bill to ban production of foie gras in
California was summarized for signing by
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#5 Jim Dixon

Jim Dixon
  • participating member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 12:02 PM

I've made a cake based on a recipe from Capezanna, the Tuscan wine and olive oil estate. It's basically eggs, sugar, flour, and olive oil with some orange zest for flavor. Really simple and very good.

Bittman's How to Cook Everything has an olive oil cookie recipe that is also good...I prefer the version with red wine and black pepper that results in a sweet-savory cookie.

Jim
olive oil + salt
Real Good Food

#6 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 01:05 PM

Think this recipe has been discussed in a previous thread but it is a rustically delicious example of baking with olive oil.

Gateau de Beaume de Venise
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#7 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:00 PM

Whoever finds this subject interesting, might want to check the Spring 2003 issue of "Eating Well" magazine.
The sample recipe for Lemon Almond Polenta Torta is available online.

I just made this this weekend, it took about 10 minutes to throw together, it is done entirely in a food processor, and was absolutely incredible!

My copy finally arrived! :biggrin:

I am going to do the orange semolina cake next.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#8 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:20 PM

Quite a while ago there was a thread on banana breads, and this recipe was in it (given by Lesley C). I tried it a while ago -- I was taken with the idea of a banana bread without cinnamon and nutmeg and all the usual suspects, and the use of olive oil made it that much more intriguing. It came out great, everyone liked it, and for some reason whenever I think of the taste the only thing that comes to mind is that it is more "adult" than regular banana bread. (Whatever that means.) Here's a copy of Lesley C's post.

oops, sorry. Link to the recipe appears below.

Edited by cakewalk, 22 April 2003 - 04:55 AM.

#9 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:25 PM

Here's Lesley C's Banana Bread recipe.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#10 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:04 PM

That Lemon Almond Polenta Torta sounds delicious.  I'm so sorry that the recipe includes the calorie count.  It leaves no way to delude myself.

Yeah, self delusion is a pretty thing, Babe.

But the Lemon Almond Polenta Tart Sounds even better. Thanks, Helena!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#11 kym

kym
  • legacy participant
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 12:27 PM

Olive oil is supposed to be sooo much better for us than butter, but I have never tried baking with it. I am looking for dense chocolate cake or other dessert recipes that take olive, peanut, or other mono unsaturated oil.

#12 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:35 PM

There is a recipe for Ligurian olive oil cake in the Pierre Herme Dessert book done with Dorie Greenspan. Note: I tried this recipe and was not overly impressed, but your results may vary. (this is not a chocolate cake)

#13 Comfort Me

Comfort Me
  • participating member
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:58 PM

I may be wrong, but I think Steve Klc makes a semolina cake (similar to tishpishti) I think was made with olive oil, then soaked in a light syrup flavored with orange or rose water? Steve, help me out here. Was I dreaming this? I remember it being good -- there is an al dente texture that is absent many cakes like this -- and the syrup wasn't cloying -- it was there to sweeten and moisten, not to force a diabetic coma.
Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

#14 foodie52

foodie52
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:23 PM

There are some great recipes in epicurious.com. Some of them incorporate fruit. I found a Portuguese olive oil cake on the web.

Olive oil adds moistness: it is very pleasing. Don't use extra virgin. An alternative is grapeseed oil, which has the healthful properties of olive oil but no flavor at all.

#15 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:34 PM

I was very skeptical about olive oil in cakes until I tried it, and it really works!
Here is one of my favorites (lemon-almond torta):

http://www.eatingwel...lenta_torta.htm

The spring 2003 issue of Eating Well had a bunch of desserts made with olive oil and I have made almost all of them.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#16 bloviatrix

bloviatrix
  • participating member
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:07 PM

Payard has a recipe for a Banana Loaf made with olive oil in his cookbook. It's very moist.

Edited by bloviatrix, 18 November 2003 - 06:08 PM.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

#17 Verjuice

Verjuice
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:01 PM

Amanda Hesser has a recipe in her new book (Cooking for Mr. Latte) for a peach tart with a crust made with o.oil. She adapted it from a recipe her mom uses, and she claims that the o.oil gives the tart a richer crust. She knows what she's talking about; it was dee-lish.

#18 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:08 PM

I thought Herme's recipe with Ligurian Olive Oil was incredible. The only hard part was finding the right oil. The Ligurian is definitely not your average oil...very light. I could imagine some of the regularly available oils might harm a recipe with their heavier taste.

#19 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:53 AM

You're right. I wasn't using Ligurian oil and I though the taste and texture of the cake was very heavy.

#20 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:32 AM

one of the topics at the imhr show was olive oil in desserts. michael laiskonis and heather carlucci both made desserts using olive oil. michael did a financier using 50% butter and 50% olive oil. heather made a chocolate mousse using olive oil. i'm not sure if both recipes are up on the thread, but check the imhrs thread to check.

#21 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 03:31 PM

herme's olive oil macaroons recipe can be found in the september issue of pasticceria international magazine

#22 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 05:52 PM

also of note,
senor torreblanca will be teaching a class on olive oil pastries in late february at the french pastry school

www.frenchpastryschool.com

#23 curlywurlyfi

curlywurlyfi
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 07:43 AM

Kym, there is a recipe in today's (London) Guardian for a date + olive oil cake (with optional pecans) - do you want me to PM you the recipe?

Fi
Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

#24 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:30 AM

There is a recipe for Ligurian olive oil cake in the Pierre Herme Dessert book done with Dorie Greenspan. Note: I tried this recipe and was not overly impressed, but your results may vary. (this is not a chocolate cake)

Nightscotsman made this once, and it is one of the best cakes I've ever had.
"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."
-- State Senator John Burton, joking about
how the bill to ban production of foie gras in
California was summarized for signing by
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#25 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 07:36 PM

Kym, there is a recipe in today's (London) Guardian for a date + olive oil cake (with optional pecans) - do you want me to PM you the recipe?

Fi

I looked online for it but couldn't find it. Perhaps you could post the link? It sounds good.
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#26 curlywurlyfi

curlywurlyfi
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:14 AM

Mottmott, it was in the pull-out G2 section, so probably not on line. Can PM it to you, it's here on my desk and I have the last night's office Christmas party hangover as my valid reason to do nothing productive all day, a bit of mindless typing might be just the thing.

Fi
Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

#27 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:37 AM

There is a chocolate mud cake, originally from Peg Bracken's "I Hate to Cook" book that uses oil, and is actually very good. Made in the pan, like stirring mud.

http://www.recipesou...14/rec1473.html

#28 curlywurlyfi

curlywurlyfi
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:54 AM

Jackal, that sounds delicious! Something's telling me (I can hear the 'clonk' in my head) that somewhere I've got a recipe for chocolate cake made with mayonnaise - I mean, it's eggs and oil, just in a slightly different format...?

Fi
Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

#29 cjsadler

cjsadler
  • participating member
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 12:16 PM

I was very skeptical about olive oil in cakes until I tried it, and it really works!
Here is one of my favorites (lemon-almond torta):

http://www.eatingwel...lenta_torta.htm

The spring 2003 issue of Eating Well had a bunch of desserts made with olive oil and I have made almost all of them.

This looks like a great recipe, which I'm considering making for my girlfriend's birthday. However, I'm stupidly confused about the follow directions:

"Cut lemon in half. Juice one half (about 1 1/2 tablespoons); discard rind. Cut the other half into 4 pieces and pick out the seeds. Add the lemon juice and pieces to the food processor; process for 45 seconds. "

"Pieces"? I can't imagine you should throw in the entire lemon half, pith and all. Surely it should just be the zest and/or the segments, right?
Chris Sadler

#30 lorea

lorea
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 12:43 PM

Maybe when the recipe says to discard the rind, it actually means the rind of the entire lemon? It sounds like it'd be pretty bitter if you threw in the pith.