Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Book Recommendations-Fish &/or Game?

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:36 PM

I am interested in your comments on cookbooks and books of food essays on fish & game that you have found helpful, interesting...or on the other hand, a waste of time. I like the work of Jim Harrison, A.D. Livingston, and Rebecca Gray, among others.

Edited by Richard Kilgore, 24 February 2003 - 11:37 PM.

#2 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:38 AM

For fish Rick Stein in the UK has published a number of useful volumes. In particular "Rick Stein's Seafood", based on notes from his cookery school, has a lot of practical tips and an excellent gazateer of fish species in the back.

I've also found James Peterson's Fish and Shellfish very useful

Charlie Trotter's Seafood book is notable for being the only cookbook I know of where recipes are grouped by wine varietals, but like all his books the recipes are unmanageable unless you have several days and a cast of thousands.

Haven't got a clue about game

J
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#3 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:04 AM

A Feast of Fish by Ian McAndrew is excellent for both recipes and some background information on the various varieties. He also wrote a book on game which I cannot recall the name of now.

#4 Alex F

Alex F
  • legacy participant
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:04 AM

According to "The Art of Eating" (www.theartofeating.com) Mediterranean Seafood, 3rd Edition by Alan Davidson is a modern classic.

#5 Ruth

Ruth
  • participating member
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:42 AM

Ariane Daguin's "D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook" is quite helpful. There is a section on most game meats currently available in the US with notes on best cooking methods etc and recipes from well-known chefs. Of course, most of what we get here is not true game but farm-raised, a pale substitute. To be able to cook wild game you will have to shoot it yourself or make friends with a hunter. The cooking methods would be basically the same but with longer marination. I believe venison and hare, imported from Scotland ,is available in season but have not tried it.
Ruth Friedman

#6 Vanessa

Vanessa
  • legacy participant
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:18 PM

A Feast of Fish by Ian McAndrew is excellent for both recipes and some background information on the various varieties. He also wrote a book on game which I cannot recall the name of now.

Poultry & Game. Good books. What happened to Ian McAndrew? Haven't heard of him for years. Anything by Alan Davidson on fish.

v

#7 MatthewB

MatthewB
  • legacy participant
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:02 PM

Jane Grigson's Fish Book

Alan Davidson's Mediterranean Seafood

Alan Davidson's North Atlantic Seafood

Alan Davidson's Seafood of South East Asia

Mark Bittman's Fish

#8 sammy

sammy
  • participating member
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:14 PM

Ed Brown's (The Sea Grill Restaurant) The Modern Seafood Cook
"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

#9 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:55 PM

Alan Davidson's excellent books certainly, but they are more encyclopedic than recipe sources.

I think the book you need is The Sporting Wife Game and Fish cookery

#10 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, everyone. I will check out each of these. Any other ideas on game...either wild or farm raised?

#11 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:48 PM

John Schumacher, chef at Schumacher's (a small, elegant hotel in New Prague with a wonderful restaurant) features a lot of game (here it's mostly wild game) on his menu. He has also authored several cookbooks:

Game/fish cookbooks by Schumacher
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#12 jogoode

jogoode
  • participating member
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:17 PM

Ariane Daguin's "D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook" is quite helpful. There is a section on most game meats currently available in the US with notes on best cooking methods etc and recipes from well-known chefs. Of course, most of what we get here is not true game but farm-raised, a pale substitute. To be able to cook wild game you will have to shoot it yourself or make friends with a hunter. The cooking methods would be basically the same but with longer marination. I believe venison and hare, imported from Scotland ,is available in season but have not tried it.

I think D'Artagnan sells game birds and wild hare, etc....some from Scotland. On the website (www.dartagnan.com) and in their catalogue, they warn you to "watch out for the shot"!
JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!
www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

#13 ngatti

ngatti
  • legacy participant
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:42 PM

Encyclopedia of Fish Cookery by A.J. McClane.

McClane was editor of Field and Stream for some years. The book was considered seminal when it first appeared in the 70s.

edit: I don't know if Izaac Walton's "The Compleat Angler" will help you. But some good writing about fishing.

Nick

Edited by Nick Gatti, 25 February 2003 - 10:49 PM.

#14 phillaurie

phillaurie
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:36 AM

Try Richard Olneys The Good Cook Series for Time Life, and has amongst its 27 volumes, ones on Game and Fish Cookery, as with the series as a whole these are essential.

#15 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:42 PM

Thanks, Phil. I am aware of the Olney series, but it appears to be very hard to find.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook