Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Commercial Jams, Jellies, and Preserves

Condiments

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thank you!
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#32 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Interestingly, the regular Smuckers have high fructose corn syrup. The Simply Fruit and Orchard Finest do not.

Good to know. Smuckers used to have a low-sugar apricot preserve that was my all-time favorite--then they changed the recipe, I think by using a sugar substitute to keep it low-sugar but noneless make it very sweet. Disgusting. I will try these to see if either resembles my old favorite.

And Sylvia, I can't believe I haven't tried the Trappist apricot yet, thanks for the recommendation.

#33 Snadra

Snadra
  • legacy participant
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm fond of Schwartau and Hero. I done find either overly sweet and they really taste of the fruit.

#34 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'd also like to know what folks like in the way of commercial orange marmalades. After trying a bunch, I think I like Smucker's best -- don't like the overly bitter ones.

Have you tried Keiller & Son's orange marmalade? I like the bitter ones best, and always bought Keiller, and didn't think marmalade got any better, but within the last few years, they've changed a few things. It no longer comes in that classic white jar. And it's gotten a lot sweeter. So much so that I've stopped buying it.

#35 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hero . . . another fairly common brand I haven't paid enough attention to. They don't use high fructose corn syrup and they have a new line called Delicia that has more fruit and less sugar.

Also interesting flavors like red currant, quince, plum, rosehip and gooseberry . . .

I'll give that a try. They don't seem to have seedless versions, though.

#36 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Keillor also makes a ginger marmelade, that's very appealing, will try that one, too . . .

#37 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hero . . . another fairly common brand I haven't paid enough attention to. They don't use high fructose corn syrup and they have a new line called Delicia that has more fruit and less sugar.

Also interesting flavors like red currant, quince, plum, rosehip and gooseberry . . .

Yes, Hero is generally pretty good.

Still haven't found a quince jam, though, that isn't achingly sweet and tastes of nothing but sugar.

#38 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,406 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yes, Hero is generally pretty good.

Still haven't found a quince jam, though, that isn't achingly sweet and tastes of nothing but sugar.

I've made quince jam that turned out way too sweet and I modified it by re-cooking it and adding some strong Lapsang Souchong tea to give it a smoky flavor and the tea itself cuts the sweetness.

I haven't tried it myself but a friend, after tasting my smoky version, cooked a batch with Earl Grey tea, brewing the tea double strength and says the tea really cuts the sweetness considerably.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#39 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have to add that if you want something really special, and don't mind the shipping costs, the jams made by the Baer company in Wyoming, are superior to others I have tried, although I haven't tried them all.

I have the Red (tart) Cherry jam, the Dark (sweet) cherry jam and the Chokecherry jam.
I have an unopened jar of the Jalapeño Pepper Jam.
I ordered these on the recommendation of a friend who has a B&B in Cheyenne and serves these to her guests.

Checked out their site. All look great, but I am particularly intrigued by their Traffic Jam.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#40 Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim
  • participating member
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

If quality is your issue, as in "this is good enough to give my kids", you can't buy preserves with more integrity than Pim's. Small batch, extraordinarily well sourced produce, and a perfectionist at the stove. Cannot buy better.

Someone else I trust and have bought lots from is Eva Gates on Flathead Lake in Montana. Amazing wild hucklebery jam. FYI, blackcap is like a blackberry. Also, sigh, amazing.
eGullet member #80.

#41 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hmmm . . . Chez Pim Bouquet des Fleurs Marmalade . . . must try . . .

Black Cap = Black Raspberry . . .

I tried Trader Joe's Cherry Preserves last night. I am thinking this is too sweet, but I would use this, drained, in place of candied cherries in a fruitcake.

#42 boudin noir

boudin noir
  • society donor
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Central Market sold in price chopper super markets. Better than Hero and much cheaper. Made in Belgium. Blackberry and cherry very good. Marmalade is one of the most acceptable of the non-english marmalades.

#43 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've just discovered the Cortas brand of jellies and jams. They're made in Lebanon. The apricot is the best I've ever had by far, with large pieces of apricot. Heavenly with cheese and crackers.

#44 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I really like Sarabeth's preserves, though I refuse to pay Williams-Sonoma prices for them. A Homestyle, if you have one near you, is the absolutely best retailer if you want great jams/preserves that don't cost fourteen bucks a jar.They have a terrific variety for about half the regular retail value.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments