Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Old Fashioned Cocktail: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#331 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

I don't think this one got discussed yet, and I used to get it confused with the other tequila + mezcal OF from Phil Ward, the Oaxaca Old Fashioned (reposado tequila, mezcal, agave syrup, mole bitters).

Tequila Gumption with 1 oz each of reposado tequila and mezcal, 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, and 1 dash orange bitters.

There is something very nice going on with this tequila + mezcal + maraschino combo, also seen in the Crafty and Elusive Elk (as a sour).

13572134844_22cc91ef9b_z.jpg

• Hassouni likes this

#332 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Most excellent, I can actually make this one at home!

#333 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

The Oaxaca is a favourite; now I'll have to try this one. Thanks, FP.

Got some more Mezcal this morning, too ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#334 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Old Fashioned with Blanton's single-barrel bourbon, gum syrup, Angostura bitters.

15754932278_dc9131c277_z.jpg

• scubadoo97 likes this

#335 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

This one was a tad sweet but still very enjoyable.

Jubilee Street (Richard Boccato) with Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey (Kings County bourbon), amaro Montenegro, maple syrup (scant barspoon; I would use 1/2 barspoon next time), St Elizabeth allspice dram. Replaced one semi-obscure boutique Brooklyn whiskey with another.

Roasted chestnut, chocolate, spice.

16300650158_0d18b9e9e4_z.jpg

It reminded me of another old-fashioned/sazerac variation with Montenegro I had at Craft & Commerce a while back - their DiMaggio cocktail with rye, Montenegro, demerara, absinthe. Also this one in the same vein.

Montenegro is surprisingly versatile. My bottle is half gone already.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 10 February 2015 - 01:08 PM.

• tanstaafl2 likes this

#336 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

This one was a tad sweet but still very enjoyable.

Jubilee Street (Richard Boccato) with Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey (Kings County bourbon), amaro Montenegro, maple syrup (scant barspoon; I would use 1/2 barspoon next time), St Elizabeth allspice dram. Replaced one semi-obscure boutique Brooklyn whiskey with another.

Roasted chestnut, chocolate, spice.

16300650158_0d18b9e9e4_z.jpg

It reminded me of another old-fashioned/sazerac variation with Montenegro I had at Craft & Commerce a while back - their DiMaggio cocktail with rye, Montenegro, demerara, absinthe. Also this one in the same vein.

Montenegro is surprisingly versatile. My bottle is half gone already.

You are a braver than I am! Not sure I would be likely to purchase either of those young whiskies even if I had access to them. Seems like they might be pretty different in flavor though with the one you used being primarily corn according to the description and the one used in the original recipe being predominantly an unknown mix of malted barley and wheat.

Doesn't seem like either would put much punch in that drink though with both being relatively low proof. Is it pretty heavily maple in flavor despite the Montenegro?

• FrogPrincesse likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#337 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Not a purchase - this was a gift (I have great friends).

DrinkUpNY has this note about Kings County bourbon

Created with organic New York corn and malted Scottish barley, this young bourbon offers balanced notes of corn, oak, clove and caramel. Hints of smoke and sweet spice appear on the finish.

and this one about the Van Brunt.

Matured for five months in small American oak casks, Van Brunt Stillhouse American Whiskey is a four grain whiskey featuring the robust flavors of wheat and malted barley, backed by corn and rye. The result is a complex, full-flavored spirit offering notes of caramel, vanilla, dried fruit and peppery spice.

It was close enough for me. I was happy with the end result in any case. It would have been hard to tell in a blind test that there was maple or Montenegro in there, and I guess that's what I liked about the drink. The final flavor was unexpected and did not taste like the individual ingredients.

#338 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

This month's theme for Mixology Monday has been announced and it's the Old Fashioned. So it's time to revisit this thread, or come up with new variations!