Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Good eating on Kauai

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 alohabear

alohabear
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

my favorite cheap eat on Kauai is The Bull Shed in Wailuku near Coconut Grove.
Good steaks and the perfect ocean view

#32 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

Sad news for eaters here on Kauai.
A Pacific Cafe has closed.
This is only temporary as the place is relocated....but it will be several months down the line.
Valentines Day this year just wasnt the same for my  wife and I.........
I will keep everyone posted.

wabi

View Post

Is there any update as to where/when they'll reopen?

#33 wabi

wabi
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:37 AM

I will post as soon as I know something.
Remember though......it's Kauai, everything takes a bit longer here......

wabi

#34 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

I will post as soon as I know something.
Remember though......it's Kauai, everything takes a bit longer here......

wabi

View Post

I wouldn't want it any other way! :smile:

#35 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

This is a great thread! My finace and I (finally!) booked our honeymoon for September. We'll be going to Kauai then Maui. We're staying at the Sheraton on Poipu Beach.

What does anyone think of Roy's? I know it's a chain, but I heard good things about them in general.

We will definitely try Coconuts, in addition to a number of the recommendations here.

Edited by I_call_the_duck, 19 May 2005 - 08:04 AM.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#36 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:05 AM

This is a great thread!  My finace and I (finally!) booked our honeymoon for September.  We'll be going to Kauai then Maui.  We're staying at the Sheraton on Poipu Beach. 

What does anyone think of Roy's?  I know it's a chain, but I heard good things about them in general.

We will definitely try Coconuts, in addition to a number of the recommendations here. 

wabi, what type of food do they serve at Hamura's Saimin?

View Post

Roy's gets mixed reviews, mostly positive. I happen to like it a lot, despite its "corporate" background (there are dozens of Roy's throughout the world), as they do Hawaiian fusion very well.

But I still think Coconuts does it better! :biggrin:

Hammura's Saimin serves, well, Saimin - and little else. The atmosphere is really basic, but the Saimin (noodle soups) are wonderful, and very inexpensive. They also do a mean shave ice.

Do stop at Camp House Grill in Kalaheo for lunch (and some of their wonderful pies) one day.

Post a report when you get back so I can dream from Chicago!

#37 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Roy's gets mixed reviews, mostly positive.  I happen to like it a lot, despite its "corporate" background (there are dozens of Roy's throughout the world), as they do Hawaiian fusion very well.

But I still think Coconuts does it better!  :biggrin:

Hammura's Saimin serves, well, Saimin - and little else.  The atmosphere is really basic, but the Saimin (noodle soups) are wonderful, and very inexpensive.  They also do a mean shave ice.

Do stop at Camp House Grill in Kalaheo for lunch (and some of their wonderful pies) one day.

Post a report when you get back so I can dream from Chicago!

View Post

Thanks. I looked up Saimin after I posted (should have done it before, duh :wink:) .

We do have a Roy's here in Philly, which we have yet to try--but there's only so much money and time, right?

Camp House Grill is now on my list!

I'll keep you all posted!
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

#38 Narcissus

Narcissus
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Any news about The Pacific Cafe? Are they moving to nicer digs? Building a New Place?

Thanks for any info...

Narcissus
Taco Truck or Per Se - No matter as long as passion drives the food

#39 hitmanoo

hitmanoo
  • participating member
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

First off let me say that Beach House was terrible for me.  The food was passable but we had a very bad experience with the wait staff and management that had my party leaving very upset and unsatisfied.  I also didn't like how people outside congregate right in front of our windows as we were eating and trying to watch the sunset.  Pacific Cafe was quite good, but the location leaves something to be desired.  Conversely, Cafe Hanalei has one of the world's most beautiful views but food cannot match the beautiful surroundings.  All in all though, that was my most memorable meal because of the views.  In general, dining in Hawai'i and on nearly any island anywhere is going to be more low key than dining in a major city like New York.  Still, I would've liked to see more "polish" in the restaurants in general.

View Post

I'm so sorry to read this. I had such a fantastic experience at the Beach House, as they excelled in both food and service. There were no people congregating by the windows either.

I've heard from a two other couples that their experience at this restaurant wasn't exceptional, however, none of them are big seafood fans, so I'm not 100% sure of what to make of their reviews.
Amazing how my wife and I had such a top notch experience there, yet others have been disappointed. Perhaps we got lucky.
Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)
Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)
Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

#40 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

I am so glad that I stumbled onto this thread tonight. My husband and another couple are heading to Kauai in November and I'll print Wabi's recommendations. Coconuts sounds great. Is there "street food" ?

Thank you to all who reported in.

#41 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Any update on the new location of A Pacific Cafe?

#42 tekna

tekna
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

We just got back from Kauai, and here's my report on our dining adventures. Our premise was:

1. Try to eat at some places where the locals eat.
2. Go by recommendations from eGullet.org and Kauai Revealed.
3. Shyed away from the really expensive places - we didn't go to The Beach House, Roy's, any places in Princeville or the really fancy hotels (Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.).

Bubba's in Hanalei - okay burgers - go there if you're dying for a burger; otherwise, go across the street to Hanalei Mixed Plate. The other burger places might be better, but I don't know, we didn't try them.

Hanalei Mixed Plate in Hanalei - had a really good fresh fish (marlin) sandwich there.

Hukilau Lanai in the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa - I think we had our best "upscale" meal there. Nothing super fancy, but the execution was more refined than Coconuts. We had the mixed seafood plate and the meatloaf. The seafood plate had two different kinds of fish and a sugar cane skewered shrimp with orzo "risotto" and a delicate coconut sauce. The meatloaf (2 slices) came with a nice brown sauce and mashed potatoes.

Coconuts in Kapaa - creative and generous portions (of fish), but not as refined as the Hukilau Lanai. One of our dishes, the tempura ono, came with this huge puck of fried rice. The fish and sauce were good, but the rice was just soy sauce with diced carrots (like something from Panda Express), and it looked like it was placed sloppily on the plate. I had the grilled opah with garlic mashed potatoes. Again, the potatoes were in a huge dense puck.

Barbecue Inn in Lihue - very good kalua pork (and at a good price). Very extensive fish menu. I got "Da Asian" - creative and good presentation-unexpected from such a casual restaurant. The ono was a little charred, unfortunately.

Hamura's Saimin in Lihue - went there right after we landed. Great noodles. Went with Kauai Revealed's recommendation and got the "special". Worth it. The lilikoi pie was also very good.

Pomodoro's in Kalaheo - contrary to Kauai Revealed's recommendation, the place was not that upscale. The decor reminded me more of a casual breakfast/lunch cafe. The food was alright--Italian American dishes. We ordered the lasagna and the veal pizzaiola. The lasagna was rich but had decent flavor. The veal was pretty good.

Keoki's Paradise in Poipu - the decor was fun, but the food was very mediocre. The ribs were decent, but the opah was pretty bland and also served with mashed potatoes; why do they like to pair fish with mashed potatoes? That just doesn't seem to work. It was more of a bar scene, good place to party at.

Pattaya Asian Cafe in Poipu - basically, a Thai restaurant. The menu was pretty extensive, and any type of sauce/preparation can be done with vegetables, meat or seafood. Nice casual place.

Sueoka's Snack Shop in Koloa - great deals for plate lunches. If they have the Hawaiian Plate Lunch, get it--the pork lau lau was delicious.

#43 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:26 PM

Tekna - thank you for your report. I downloaded it to take with me. A few weeks from tonight, I'll be sitting and sipping and looking at the sunset. Any other highlights from the trip?

#44 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

Any update on the new location of A Pacific Cafe?

View Post

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Last I heard it was going into a new resort across Kuhio Hwy from the old location. Any word about the new resort?

#45 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:52 AM

We got back from Hawaii a couple of days ago and had a great time! Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

We had six glorious days in paradise, in which we snorkeled, basked in the sun, did a helicopter ride, and of course, ate wonderful meals. Wabi, I love your island. We plan to return someday.

We stayed at the Sheraton on Poipu Beach, which we found very nice. The Sheraton’s “resort fees” included a full buffet breakfast, so we never made it to any of the breakfast places. We hardly did any of the lunch places either, since we had leftovers and fruit we obtained at breakfast. (Also, we were trying to save a little money when we could.) We did however, go to Hamura’s Saimin, which I loved. We went there twice. The first time we each ordered a medium bowl of the regular saimin, and the next time we went, we ordered one deluxe and one shrimp. For dessert, we had a shave ice. Very good, very affordable.

Since we were staying on the South Shore, we stayed in that general neck of the woods and only ventured to the North Shore once. I made some notes on what we ate when we got back to our hotel. They weren’t as detailed as I intended (I was on my honeymoon), so I tried to piece my notes together with what is listed on the restaurants’ websites. So here goes (and I’m sorry if I’m overusing my superlatives—I guess I’ll never make it as a restaurant reviewer):

Our first night, jet-lagged, we went to The Plantation Gardens. The setting was really beautiful and the service was fine. I had grilled ono with soba noodles, and my husband had the Hawaiian Hot Pot (shrimp, scallops and ono simmered in ginger coconut broth, Asian noodles and peanut oil). The food was fresh and tasty. We were off to a good start.

Roy’s. Not the prettiest setting (we had a view of the shops across the courtyard), but a nice restaurant nonetheless. Our server was nice and funny. I had the ahi-ono combo, and my husband had the sampling menu, which included crab cakes (which he said surpasses K Paul’s in New Orleans as the best crab cakes ever—I think partly because of the panko coating), salmon skin salad in a ginger vinaigrette, scallops in some truffle sauce, grilled rib-eye, and butterfish. Interestingly enough, I can’t remember what we had for dessert, but it wasn’t the molten lava cake. Now I originally didn’t want to go to Roy’s since a) it’s a chain, and b) we have one here in Philly, but my husband really wanted to go, and I’m glad we did. The food was great. Everything was fresh and well prepared. I loved the butterfish—it was well, was “like buttah.” This rated as my husband’s favorite. Speaking of New Orleans, my heart goes out to the city and its residents. It’s one of my favorite dining cities.

Café Hanalei. Beautiful sunset. Nice service. Great food. We started off with Oil-Blasted Sashimi (ahi and hamachi). My husband had the Kaua’i Coffee Rack of Lamb (two things he loves—coffee and lamb) with fingerling potato-kilauea corn hash, braised kai choy and mint shiitake jus, and I had the Hawaiian Spice Rubbed Ribeye Steak with Kunana Goat Cheese Flan, Roasted Hamakua Mushrooms and Wagarashi Demi Glace and Charred Kula Onion Marmalade. Everything was very good, but my steak was a little more done than I prefer. The sides were very tasty. For dessert I think we had a pineapple-mango crisp. Then again, that could be from someplace else (maybe Roy's), but wherever we ate it, it was yummy.

Keoki’s. Probably my least favorite restaurant in which we’ve dined. Since we were there on a weekend, there was a band playing, and they were LOUD, despite the fact that we were pretty far away from the bar. (We could even hear them from our hotel.) My husband had the ribs, and I had Orange Ginger baked fish (I think it was opah). But the decor was cute, the service was fine, and the food was good, but nothing incredible or memorable.

Kintaro. My husband was in the mood for sushi, and this restaurant was recommended by the concierge. Since it was Monday (and Labor Day), many places were closed. It was some of the best sushi we’ve ever eaten, and a great bargain. We started with fried wontons (they ran out of the gyoza dumplings), which were good, but not fantastic. I had a mixed tempura-sushi combo dinner. Dinner included salad and a flavorful miso soup. My husband had a mixed sushi dinner, which arrived not in separate pieces but in a bowl of rice with the fish layered on top. The ahi was oh-so-tender, as was the rest of the fish.

The Beach House. My favorite of all. The food was amazing. We started off with the Thai Curry Shrimp & Scallop Wonton. My husband had the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahimahi in a citrus aka miso sauce, and I had the Chinese-style Roasted Duck with lemon orange Grand Marnier demi, porcini mushroom risotto cake, pickled vegetables, pesto. Everything was expertly prepared and very delicious. There were noticeable chunks of shrimp and scallops in the wonton, the mahimahi was not overcooked, and the duck was one of the best I’ve eaten. The servers were friendly and accommodating. Though it was crowded, the servers were very understanding when the second they showed us to our table, we excused ourselves to catch the last brilliant colors of the sunset.

We never made it to Coconuts. Or the Camp House Grill. :sad: Ironically, they were top on my list. Coconuts was closed the Monday we planned to go. We’ll have to go next time. Hopefully by then, A Pacific Café will be open again.

Betts, have a great time. I miss Kauai already.
Karen C.

#46 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

Did you have shrimp from the truck on the road to Spouting Horn, Call_the_Duck? That was my favorite meal when I was in Kaua'i... :biggrin:
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#47 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:13 AM

Did you have shrimp from the truck on the road to Spouting Horn, Call_the_Duck?  That was my favorite meal when I was in Kaua'i...  :biggrin:

View Post

There was shrimp from a truck?! :shock: I never noticed a truck anywhere along the road to Spouting Horn. Darn. Sounds like I missed something great. I guess I'll have to add it to my list for our next visit.
Karen C.

#48 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Did you have shrimp from the truck on the road to Spouting Horn, Call_the_Duck?  That was my favorite meal when I was in Kaua'i...  :biggrin:

View Post

There was shrimp from a truck?! :shock: I never noticed a truck anywhere along the road to Spouting Horn. Darn. Sounds like I missed something great. I guess I'll have to add it to my list for our next visit.

View Post

Yes!!!! Oh, sooo good. I guess the truck was really more at the fork in the road, where you can either go to Poipu or Spouting Horn. Here's a link to an earlier thread about it: click!

Definitely try it the next time you're there.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#49 Rehovot

Rehovot
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

The Beach House.  My favorite of all.  The food was amazing.  We started off with the Thai Curry Shrimp & Scallop Wonton.  My husband had the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahimahi in a citrus aka miso sauce, and I had the Chinese-style Roasted Duck with lemon orange Grand Marnier demi, porcini mushroom risotto cake, pickled vegetables, pesto.  Everything was expertly prepared and very delicious.  There were noticeable chunks of shrimp and scallops in the wonton, the mahimahi was not overcooked, and the duck was one of the best I’ve eaten.  The servers were friendly and accommodating.  Though it was crowded, the servers were very understanding when the second they showed us to our table, we excused ourselves to catch the last brilliant colors of the sunset. 

View Post

This really is a great place. (I think we made reservations a week ahead to get a window table, last summer.) :rolleyes:
Elegant but not fussy food; Hawaiian but not razzle-dazzle Hawaiian; tasty!
Ah, and the view... :wub:

#50 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hopefully by then, A Pacific Café will be open again. 

AND WHERE WOULD THAT BE?!?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

(Thanks for the wonderful report!)

#51 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

Hopefully by then, A Pacific Café will be open again. 

AND WHERE WOULD THAT BE?!?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

(Thanks for the wonderful report!)

View Post

I don't know! :sad: Sorry if I made it seem that I did.
Karen C.

#52 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

I am back from Kauai and I have a few dining notes - this is no particular order

Hula Girl - probably the poorest food we ate but I tried poke for the first time and their version was pretty bland and alarmingly luke warm. My husband had the char sui ribs (looked steamed and then baked) and the coconut crab cakes were decent. There was a mother son duo for live entertainment. This is strip mall dining at its most dismal.

Princeville the classic drinks and sushi on the patio at sunset. The drinks were fine and not bank breaking and the sashimi was lovely but the whole experience was less memorable than expected.

Dukes We were staying at the Marriot in Lihue so Duke's was just a stroll from the room and when we were really tired this is where we headed. The first time it was drinks and apps in the beachside bar. Very disappointing - small portions, expensive and poorly executed. However a waiter at Coconuts said that Dukes was one of his favorite spots so we went to the upstairs restaurant midweek. Despite a rather tired salad bar the fish was first rate, generous portion and beautifully grilled. I had the grilled opah with lemon butter sauce and pineapple salsa. The menu lists the fish available and then the prep styles available. One diner had the firecracker ono and it was the spiciest thing that week. Great service by Mel, our waiter, who also gave us tips on making poke.

Kountry Kitchen This is a breakfast spot in Kapaa and really busy with locals and tourists. Lots of omelettes. I had the fresh vegetable benedict and my husband had the Idaho with bacon and sour cream. They also have a delicious cornbread that you dunk in coconut syrup - an unexpected treat.

Aromas This is a fine dining spot at night but serves breakfast Thurs - Sun in a upstairs venue in Lihue. The chef used to work at the Marriot across the street and the breakfast menu is way more inventive than standard fare. I had the scrambled eggs on fried rice and my friend had delicious coconut/macadamia nut and white choc pancakes. My husband had a breakfast wrap that came with a really piquant salsa. There is an open air porch for a relaxing meal. They were really short of staff the morning we were there so it was a little slow but we just poured our own coffee and had no schedule to keep to.

Gaylord's This is a restaurant outside of Lihue that was the site of a historica sugar plantation. The tables are on the covered porch that forms the innner courtyard of this large home. Service was very slow, and the hearts of palm salad had no hearts of palm!!. They have a terrific lilikoi tiramisu however.

Coconuts Like all other up thread, we had a wonderful meal here. It is a very busy place and reservations are highly recommended. We went at an off time of year, on a Tuesday night, and later in the evening and still had a half hour wait in the bar. The calamari with the panko coating was terrific. I had the tempura ono - delicious but my husband had the grilled ahi and it was beyond outstanding. Service is friendly and was the most professional of anywhere we ate.

JJ's this is a large bar/grill on Kalapaki beach with bland and pretty tasteless food according to the rest of the party but I had the Kaluha pig and cabbage. This is a local dish of a smoky pulled roast pig mixed with steamed cabbage and served with a couple of scoops of rice. I liked it. This is a great spot to watch the surfers.

Shave ice with macadamia ice cream - lots of spots and very yummy.

Tokyo Lobby - Now this was an experience. One of our group used to go to Japan on business several times a year and got to like sashimi/ sushi. This is across the street from the Marriot and appeared to have a lot of locals. We ended up with a couple of the "boat" dinners and this was way too much food. What was interesting was the contrast with the sushi at the hotel. The Marriot sushi bar was elegant, serene and everyone looked unhappy but the Tokyo Lobby was decidedly downscale, the waitress looked just like John Belushi's Samauri character and people were having a great time.

Casa di Amici in Poipu. This was our last meal on the island and definitely the most memorable. This restaurant is not easy to find ( we did a daylight scouting trip and it was a good thing). It is imbedded in a resort community, barely marked and you must have reservations. Although the restaurant seems Italian, the menu reflects the Island ethnic mix - some European dishes with a generous selection of Asian fusion dishes. I had the pork belly done like a Chinese duck with 5 spice risotto. It was truly memorable. My husband had a roast pork but with a trio of vegetable purees - the best being beet with raspberry and horseradish. Without a doubt this is the most creative food that we found and I highly recommend it.

#53 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

Any recent reports on Hukilau Lanai or Scotty's Beachside BBQ?

#54 Beak

Beak
  • legacy participant
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:33 PM

Any recent reports on Hukilau Lanai or Scotty's Beachside BBQ?

View Post

We visited both during our vacation this past September.

<a href="http://www.hukilauka...m/">Hukilau</a> was a great surprise. Our kayak tour guide was a local and suggested it to us. It's sort of hidden from the highway and we never would've found it otherwise.

My husband had the Opah with orzo. He loved it. I snuck a bite and it was awesome. Very delicate and not overdone. We tried the Chevre salad and "Wally's salad" - both were excellent. Had the oozing warm chocolate cake for dinner. It was so-so - a bit overdone. Not as good as Roy's. I remember the ambience being pleasant. It's a little upscale but relaxed. The service was friendly and attentive. Water glasses were always full.

Two thumbs up from both of us. We're going to remember this place for next year.

We had high expectations for <A href="http://scottysbbq.co...m">Scotty's</a> and we weren't dissapointed. First of all, the view from each table is amazing - you have an unobstructed view of a pretty beach front, lined with palm trees, with the ocean in behind. They have a retractable face to the building that they pull back when the weather is good (99% of the time) and you get the feel of being seated in open air. It's such a great spot, especially at dusk - the ocean looks electric in that light.

We went for dinner here twice that week. The first night, we had the pulled pork sandwich and a full rack of St. Louis ribs. Both were nicely done, not dry at all.
As sides, the corn bread and garlic bread leave a little to be desired. The corn bread was a little dry, the garlic bread was thick cut toast with little butter. They were gobbled up, regardless. The fries were nice and crisp, as well. No complaints there.

For our second (and enthusiastic) visit a few nights later, we each had a full rack of ribs. This time they were a touch on the dry side and a little dissapointing. They were still very good, just not up to the standard that was set during the first visit.
We had the Chocolate Coma cake for dessert. Boy, I could go for a slice of that right now. It's in my crosshairs for our next visit. Good stuff. Apparently, they fly it in from Pennsylvania. It was a two or three layer cake (memory is a bit foggy), nice rich chocolate flavor, chocolate buttercream with whipped cream accents. Not a hint of American Airlines or FedEx. They must ship those suckers over in a hurry.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too long winded. These two places are at the top of my recommendations list for friends on vacation.

Aloha :)

Edited by Beak, 04 February 2006 - 09:48 PM.

#55 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the report! We're on island now, getting ready for our 11pm flight home this evening. Fortunately, we tried both Hukilau Lanai and Scotty's - and thought both were terrific! Had a wonderful time here. I must say The Beach House is running like a well-oiled machine; we had two dinners there and each was fantastic. This place has had its ups and downs in the last ten years or so, but it's as good as it's ever been, maybe better.

#56 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:58 AM

We had the Chocolate Coma cake for dessert. Boy, I could go for a slice of that right now. It's in my crosshairs for our next visit. Good stuff. Apparently, they fly it in from Pennsylvania. It was a two or three layer cake (memory is a bit foggy), nice rich chocolate flavor, chocolate buttercream with whipped cream accents. Not a hint of American Airlines or FedEx. They must ship those suckers over in a hurry.

View Post

Where in Pennsylvania?
Karen C.

#57 gmi3804

gmi3804
  • participating member
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

There's something that's just wrong about the deep-fried cheesecake on Scotty's menu. To offer it in a place where one has to be seen in a swimsuit should be illegal. :rolleyes:

#58 Beak

Beak
  • legacy participant
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

View Post

Where in Pennsylvania?

View Post

I'm not sure. Their menu only states that it's flown in from Pennsylvania.
I've done some poking around online, but can't find any obvious suppliers.

#59 kiteless

kiteless
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well, it's my last day in Kauai. Unfortunately, we were hit with terrible weather (25 inches of rain in 5 days; over 6 inches of rain yesterday in Lihue), I've never seen it rain like this in my entire life and I live in the Seattle area! Anyway, we didn't do much fine dining as our budget wouldn't allow for it and, well, honestly it gets a bit tiring for us and sometimes we just want burgers and pizzas and a cold beer! So here are my impressions, from the likes of Roy's to the greasy spoons.

Camp House Grill - Greasy spoon. My husband and I had reasonable burgers and cheese steak sandwiches. Decent spicy fries. Not much to write about.

Kalaheo Coffee Company and Cafe - Great coffee. We had a pretty good breakfast the first time we were here: a breakfast burrito that was tasty but unfortunately had obviously jarred salsa and frozen hash browns. Still, wasn't too bad - filled with veggies, eggs, ham, black beans, etc. Wasn't so great the second time that we came here, but it's definitely a good spot to get good drip coffee and buy some beans or grounds to take back to your hotel or rental.

Waimea Brewing Company - We had one of these back home, but they closed down recently. I never cared much for their beers, but they introduced a new Northwest Style, highly hopped IPA that my husband really liked (he says it's very fruity and floral, and like a cross of Deschutes Mirror Pond and Redhook IPA, his two favorite beers). I had the Kalua pork wrap, which I had initially loved back home, but here it seemed a little lackluster: the cabbage was warm, instead of crisp like before, and either there wasn't enough of the kimchee style sauce or it wasn't sour enough. I was a bit disappointed, but the food here isn't bad, it's just not great.

Roy's - We went here instead of the Beach House because the menu at the Beach House was a bit out of my husband's comfort zone. The drinks at the bar were terribly bad, my husband had a margarita made with really terrible mixer, and later, a flat and overly sweet mojito (they shook the cocktail shaker after they added club soda - why?). We were then seated inside, and didn't have the world's best service - they forgot bread, didn't split plates like they promised, etc. I have a feeling it wasn't the waittress' fault as she seemed to have ordered other folks who didn't follow through, and they later made up for it by comping a dessert. Anyway, we had two appetizers of potstickers and seared Cajun ahi which were pretty good - the ahi was fresh and buttery, and the potstickers had good texture and flavor, and the sriracha aioli were a good compliment. We ordered a Mahi Mahi entree to split and it came out a bit dry and bland. We had a trio of sorbets (lychee, mango and coconut) which were tasty but not spectacular. A bit underwhelming, especially considering the price tag.

Tokyo Lobby - The tempura was the best thing we ordered and it was nothing special. Shrimp shu mai were rubbery, deep fried, and had an odd taste; spicy tuna and salmon rolls did not taste fresh, and were very sloppily prepared, both in rolling and in slicing. The spicy tuna was chopped and mixed with mayonnaise - we were a bit put off by this bit. Neither of us wanted to finish the sushi. And, the bathrooms were disgusting. The sink area had dirt caked around the faucet and looked like it had not been cleaned for at least a month. I would say to avoid this place...

Hanamaulu Restaurant, Teahouse and Sushi Bar - This was recommended by a friend, and we wanted to cleanse our palatte from Tokyo Lobby with some good sushi. We were pleasantly suprised. Inside this restaurant is a manicured Japanese garden and fish pond, with tea rooms surrounding the inner garden for beautiful views. This is a completely beautiful, unassuming spot if you were to reserve a tea room (we did not); otherwise the main restaurant is nothing special. And the sushi was right on - very fresh and well prepared. We had spicy tuna, salmon, and spider rolls and left very happy, and had to keep ourselves from ordering more. We wanted to go back for another meal, but unfortunately due to flash flood warnings, breaking dams and several mudslidess we are not traveling far until we are ready to leave for the airport. Shame, we really wanted to come back.

Brick Oven Pizza - I don't consider myself an authority on pizza; I'm strictly west coast and you NY and Chicago folks can duke it out, and I don't have any Italian blood. However, the crust was crispy, the toppings were pretty good, and this was pretty good American-style pizza to go with a pitcher of beer.

The Shack - The best place I found to get a beer. They had a pretty good selection - Guinness on draft, as well as Redhook IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, Bass, Kona Firerock Pale Ale, and your typical American macrobrews. $2.50 pints at happy hour which is very cheap. Atmosphere is loud and there were a few obnoxious patrons. We didn't eat food unless you count chili cheese fries. This place has free wi-fi - a feature we found odd for a bar and burger place.

Coconuts - I had really high hopes for this place and was not let down. We had the seafood cigars as an appetizer which are seafood-filled fried spring rolls served with a spicy pineapple chutney-type condiment. Really delicious. My husband had the wasabi crusted ahi, served with garlic-spinach and (we think) coconut-cilantro rice; it might have had nori in it too, but were were unsure. Absolutely delicious, my husband ordered his just seared and this was hands down the best ahi tuna I've had. Everything went very well together and we were very impressed. I had the tempura ono served over a puck of fried rice, the ono was unfortunately a bit over-fried and the tempura shell was very hard, but was still good. The rice underneath could have used a bit more of something as it was a bit bland. I would have ordered my husband's ahi if I knew how astoundingly good it would have been. Unfortunately we did not have room for dessert.

Poipu Tropical Burgers - I suppose if you're in a burger mood this would suffice but it was just ok. The burgers were 1/2 lb and really too thick for my husband's tastes, I can't say I wouldn't agree. The place really suffered from being understaffed and although it was obvious the servers were working hard, there weren't enough people to go around - people waited in line to be seated but were ignored, and tables sat with food and dishes on them for as long as 30 minutes before being cleared.

Edited by kiteless, 15 March 2006 - 04:56 PM.

#60 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

Returned from a week on Kaua'i this past Monday. Food wasn't really one of the highlights of my trip, although we ate well (we rented a house and cooked our own dinners, mostly).

The first night we were on the island, we ate at Brennecke's Sea Broil or something like that, just off of Brennecke's Beach in Poipu. WAAAYYY overpriced. Dinner for six came to ~$250 for a meal that could have been done as well or better at any TGI Friday's. My ahi fillet tasted like Chicken of the Sea.

Our second dinner out was at a Japanese/Chinese restaurant in Lihue, I think. I forget the name. It was pretty forgettable overall. It had the standard sit-on-the-floor-in-a-room-with-paper-walls Japanese ambiance, but the fare was mediocre. That the sashimi was fresh is the most complimentary thing I can think of to say. I'm not sure what this cost (my parents took me and my wife as well as my brother and his fiancee, and paid for most of our dinners), but it wasn't cheap.

The next night we went to the Smith Family Luau. It was buffet-style on a large scale (there were easily 300 people there), but excellent given that limitation. It featured mahi mahi fillets in a tropical fruit sauce, teriyaki beef, a couple kinds of salad including one that looked at first like pico de gallo but actually was chopped tomatoes with bits of smoked salmon. All the food was yummy. The mai tais were a disappointment, though. Heavily watered-down. The rest of the luau wasn't great; the dance show following dinner was entertaining, but perhaps not always for the intended reasons. At $65 per person, given island inflation, I guess it was more or less worth it.

Our final dinner out was at Casa Di Amici, a few blocks from Brennecke Beach, again in Poipu. It was fantastic. The wine list was extensive (and expensive!). We had an organic Italian Sangiovese from a vineyard called La Carraia. I'm not really a wine expert, but it was quite good for my tastes. Appetizers included fried calamari such as I've never had before. Who knew calamari isn't supposed to be rubbery? This was accompanied by some sort of mustard/peppercorn sauce that was excellent. The other appetizer was crab cakes with a light saffron cream sauce -- again excellent. My entree was prawns in a saffron garlic tomato cream sauce, over farfalle. I think I'm not a big fan of saffron, at least not that much, but the shrimp were very good. My wife had veal with gorgonzola cream sauce. Awesome. My dad had this crazy Japanese/Mexican fusion dish consisting of salmon with a teriyaki-like glaze served over black beans boiled in something that included tequila. The salmon (Atlantic, farm-raised in British Columbia, for those who are interested) was excellent. Prices were similar I think to Brennecke's, but worth it in this case.

Edited by phatj, 17 June 2006 - 06:56 PM.