Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Menu Pricing and description

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the insight. As I said in my initial post, I had gathered you take pride in your work and that seemed in conflict with your statement that the deserts you are producing are not a good example of your capabilities. Expanding a bit further, if the pride wasn't there you wouldn't be so upset with the owner's shortsightedness as it impacts on your products. No disrepect was intended. I just wanted to resolve those to impressions / statements. Thanks for the explanation.

Now I disagree with you though. I'd suggest that your desserts are indeed a good representation of your capabilities - within the constraints imposed upon you - and that photos of those desserts presented in the context of the menu and price range will speak very well of your work.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#32 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:11 AM

to add:

I am the only one doing the prep, the chef wont even let the salad guy peel and dice apples for me.

The guy who plates the desserts (and works the salads)
is a really nice and dedicated guy. Extremely forgetful, vey slow and sloppy so I have no control what goes on when I'm not there. The chef is to busy doing what needs to be done to have any time to keep an eye on the salad guy.

The other night I took my father for dinner at the restaurant. The bread wasover proofed, cornbread dry and tasteless (They changed my recipes to save money, neither the chef nor the salad guy has experience baking, I have evenhad to resort to "jerry rigging" the creme brulee to a stovetop version -pastry cream, because of lack if dushes(10) and they kept over cooking all of them). I watched desserts go out and I was embaressed at they way they were presented, very sloppy, not clean and elegant they way I had showed them. They run rampent with cocoa powder and powdered sugar shakers............
So as you can see, I have little or no control over the station or its items once I walk out of the restaurant.

I really dont want everybody to get the idea that I think I'm this perfect pastry chef and this chef is horrible. he and I have become friends but it is very hard to talk to him and to get him to change or understand a few things.
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#33 Basildog

Basildog
  • participating member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 09:00 AM

IMHO this Chef is taking the piss.You are doing yourself no favours (apart from the $$) working with this guy.

#34 Basildog

Basildog
  • participating member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:30 AM

Any news. developments BPG?

#35 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:45 AM

To let you guys know:

The Chef has conceeded to let me change the menu and to drop the ridiculous $1.25 a la mode charge.......

We will see what the future brings
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#36 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:14 AM

[..] Then give your notice.  If he seeks to retain you, tell him exactly what it will take to keep you.  [..]

In my experience, it's generally a bad idea to give notice and not follow through. It's almost like a threat. There's a certain trust that's lost if the employee stays, and things are never the same.

In any event, it sounds like a moot point in this case and glad to hear things are starting to sort themselves out.

#37 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:05 PM

Congrats, BPG!!!
2317/5000