Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Good and bad in Dubai

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Christopher Haatuft

Christopher Haatuft
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

Rhodes Mezzanine, also I guess

#122 Flotch

Flotch
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Rhodes Mezzanine, also I guess

View Post

Yes, I've heard that it is quite costly. I was lucky to be at their first anniversary party last year and they had Rhodes serve small tasting portions of the menu. The one thing that stood out was the pork belly with apple sauce. Unfortunately I can't remember anything else from the main courses but the scones - which they serve complimentary after dinner - were fabulous. Worth every bit of the second helping :wub:

#123 chefAZ

chefAZ
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

Oh, and has anyone been to Reflets par Gagniere?

View Post

hey chris...
Reflets is very good....i went once when they opened and again when pierre was in town to roll out the tasting menu which i thought was a great meal for the price.
Both times the service and food were extremely good.
It is pricey but to put it in prespective....think about how much you would pay for a tasting or ala carte in Europe, then think....hmmm 1200dhs aint bad at all!!

I would say that Reflets and Ossiano are the best restaurants in town right now.....thats considering food & service!

oh by the way ill be going to abu dhabi for the Charlie Trotter thing (the 11th) so i might see you there!!!

#124 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

In Europe, there is bussloads of good cooks dying to get in there to work for free, how does this work in Dubai? Are the sous chefs and head chefs sourced from the mother restaurants and the line cooks asian? I guess that would take care of labour cost. what about cooks jumping from restaurant to restaurant?

View Post

With the economy as it is, plenty of sous chefs/line cooks being laid off and looking for work so don't know how Dubai authorities are dealing with cooks coming in from elsewhere when there are many in the country currently looking for work. It will be very interesting to see how things progress.

I was just there assisting in opening Baker & Spice (a London-based food shop) which, in Dubai, has plenty of seating and fabulous lunch and dinner menus, changing daily. If you want the best croissants and danish in Dubai, you'll find your way here. Located directly across the lake (yes, it is a lake now. it was such fun seeing the water level rise day-by-day) from the Burj Dubai, and in Souk al Bahar, which is in-between Dubai Mall and the Palace Hotel.

We have Filipino and Indian staff, some of whom we've hired due to their recently being laid-off. Lots of people being laid-off. We've had difficulty finding people who are experienced in what we do which is fresh and from scratch daily. I'm a pastry chef and to find those who have actually baked a cake from scratch is a difficult thing!
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#125 pieman27

pieman27
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

Baker and spice? Is this the same as the Baker and spice currently being disscused in the U.K. Dining forum?

#126 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Yes. The Dubai location is a franchise.
kit

Weebl

#127 pieman27

pieman27
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Taste of Dubai is in town, anybody going? I have been to a couple in london and enjoyed last years Taste. It is quite a pleasant evening...

#128 Flotch

Flotch
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Taste of Dubai is in town, anybody going? I have been to a couple in london and enjoyed last years Taste. It is quite a pleasant evening...

View Post

Hey Pieman27,
I attended Taste of Dubai. Fab evening but I found the food a bit expensive. The food was also a bit of a hit and miss. I was completely disappointed with Verre (Gordon Ramsay's restaurant) as they charged Dhs40 for their braised beef topside with sauteed celeriac and cep veloute and it was extremely dry and chewy. On the other hand, Gary Rhode's Mezzanine did a fabulous braised beef with fondant potatoes and caramelised onions and the Devonshire clotted cream pannacotta was amazing! Loads of freebie stuff as well. The Bateel dates stall with their date-based products was really good.

#129 Flotch

Flotch
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

I'm a pastry chef and to find those who have actually baked a cake from scratch is a difficult thing!

View Post

[/quote]

I can bake a cake from scratch, think I can get in for some experience on the weekends?
:biggrin:

#130 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

[quote name='Flotch' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:03 AM']
I'm a pastry chef and to find those who have actually baked a cake from scratch is a difficult thing!

View Post

[/quote]

I can bake a cake from scratch, think I can get in for some experience on the weekends?

View Post

[/quote]

Just for experience? Nah. The kitchen is too small. Only the serious and dedicated needing full time work need apply! :wink:
kit

Weebl

#131 Flotch

Flotch
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

[quote name='kitwilliams' date='Mar 16 2009, 11:40 PM']
[quote name='Flotch' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:03 AM']

View Post

[/quote]

View Post

[/quote]

Just for experience? Nah. The kitchen is too small. Only the serious and dedicated needing full time work need apply! :wink:

View Post

[/quote]

I'd work for free! Well, at least I tried :biggrin:

#132 Schneier

Schneier
  • participating member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation tonight. Something local -- there seems to be no Dubai cuisine, so I'll take Syrian, Lebanese, Moroccan, Iranian, etc. suggestions. I'm staying at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but I can take a taxi anywhere.

Is this list from the NY Times worthwhile?

http://travel.nytime...estaurants.html

Thanks,
Bruce