Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Spelt

Vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tiff

Tiff
  • legacy participant
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:22 AM

Hi there,
Kinda repeating myself from another topic forum, but I am looking for good spelt recipes. I am doing a lot of baking at my work as I am alone in the kithcen with no budget for a pastry chef, as is often the case these days, and I need some help in the low gluten, no gluten , wheat free area of baking which is so foriegn to my sensibilites. I like working in a healthy vegetarian enviroment but I miss the more passionate immediacy of cooking mains on a line. The things I make are packaged and have to last a week or so. My boss said she wanted someone classically trained who could learn about vegetarian and vegan eating as they go. I have found it a challenge and have learned way more than I thought I would need to learn in order to cook the way I must at work. Any advice, recipes or similar experiences would be appreciated.

#2 guajolote

guajolote
  • participating member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:28 AM

I love fresh spelt in the spring - right out of Lake Michigan, coated in some flour and cornmeal, and deepfried.

Oops, those are smelt.

#3 Kikujiro

Kikujiro
  • legacy participant
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:49 PM

Spelt makes great salads, but that doesn't help much as you were asking about baking.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul
  • participating member
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:51 PM

I love fresh spelt in the spring - right out of Lake Michigan, coated in some flour and cornmeal, and deepfried.

Oops, those are smelt.

I had EXACTLY the same thought. That's dangerous...
Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

#5 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 07:27 PM

Tiff, sorry. I've never even thought of spelt flour.

My experiences with the grain have led me to cook it about three time as long and with twice the liquid (chicken stock) as I would for rice and people still find it vile because it is so dense and chewy.

Best of luck. :unsure:
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#6 thebaker

thebaker
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:45 AM

Hi there,
Kinda repeating myself from another topic forum, but I am looking for good spelt recipes.

what kind of recipes are you looking,

I worked in a vegan/healthy restaurant for about 1 1/2 created there entire dessert menu.

SC
I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

#7 oraklet

oraklet
  • participating member
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:34 PM

tiff,

i'm not sure if i've got it right, but it seems that spelt has a very high gluten content (somewhere between 35% and 39%)...i've never baked with it, but my very competent breadbaking book tells me that it will give you a tasteful but rather heavy bread, and that preferably the spelt should be mixed with lighter flour (tipo 00, ?). it doesn't give any recipes, though. personally i think i would first try 1/3 spelt, 1/2 tipo 00 and 1/6 duro.

very little yeast, lots of water, and a slow rising. perhaps a biga, or sourdough?
christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

#8 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:44 PM

I bake with spelt all the time, and I tend to use slightly LESS water than a recipe calls for. I notice a slightly nuttier taste, but certainly not unpleasant, and I don't find it any heavier than regular flour. I just usally substitute spelt flour for regular flour in a recipe with about an oz less water, and it comes out fine.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#9 oraklet

oraklet
  • participating member
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 01:07 PM

marlene,

"I bake with spelt all the time, and I tend to use slightly LESS water than a recipe calls for"

i stand corrected, then! ok, but this is tricky, apparently, as i believe that more gluten means that a flour will hold more water. am i wrong there, too?

#10 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 01:52 PM

marlene,

"I bake with spelt all the time, and I tend to use slightly LESS water than a recipe calls for"

i stand corrected, then! ok, but this is tricky, apparently, as i believe that more gluten means that a flour will hold more water. am i wrong there, too?

Since I put my flour right into Tupperware containers, I don't have the package in front of me to give me the ingredients listing. But if a flour like spelt holds more water than regular flour, it make sense to use less, because otherwise you've got soggy dough.

Next package I get, I'll look it up. I use spelt because my son's friend is allergic to wheat, so I do a lot of bread baking when he is here. The first time I used the regular amount of water, and it was a disaster. Using less but not much less seems to work fine. I honestly can't tell you why!
Marlene
cookskorner

#11 thebaker

thebaker
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 04:56 PM

I bake bread with a 50 -50 mix of whole spelt four and white splet flour.

I prefer my dough a bit wet.

Make food ... not war

#12 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 05:47 PM

There's white spelt flour?

I'd try white spelt as a grain if I could find it.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#13 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:00 PM

There's white spelt flour?

I'd try white spelt as a grain if I could find it.

There's white and "whole grain". They are both great.
Marlene
cookskorner

#14 oraklet

oraklet
  • participating member
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:12 AM

"There's white and "whole grain" "

maybe this opens a way out of my embarressment, :biggrin: as i've found that whole grain makes for a wetter dough. my belief that strong flour holds more water than soft flour ("holds" meaning "needs", really) is based on using varying amounts of durum wheat flour in bread doughs, and what i've been told in baking books. hardly scientific, i'll admit.

#15 Tiff

Tiff
  • legacy participant
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:07 AM

Hi there,
Kinda repeating myself from another topic forum, but I am looking for good spelt recipes.

what kind of recipes are you looking,

I worked in a vegan/healthy restaurant for about 1 1/2 created there entire dessert menu.

SC

I need rcpes that stand up to 7 days in packaging. We have very little choice in the way of organic fruit this time off year;namely apples, oranges and bananas. I have a variety of different flours to choose from but whole and white soelt recipes are prefered by the boss. If you have a recipe of 2 that really stands out I would love to have them. Thanks

#16 thebaker

thebaker
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 03:49 AM

[quote name='Tiff' date='Feb 4 2003, 02:07 PM']

SC [/QUOTE]
I need rcpes that stand up to 7 days in packaging. [/quote]
Wow 7 days, my recipes are all free of preservatives etc.
the breads really need to be eaten within a day or so but i will look around my recipes and see what looks good.

SC

Make food ... not war

#17 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:34 AM

[quote name='thebaker' date='Feb 5 2003, 06:49 AM'] [quote name='Tiff' date='Feb 4 2003, 02:07 PM']

SC [/QUOTE]
I need rcpes that stand up to 7 days in packaging. [/QUOTE]
Wow 7 days, my recipes are all free of preservatives etc.
the breads really need to be eaten within a day or so but i will look around my recipes and see what looks good.

SC [/quote]
The spelt flour I use is organic, which generally means no preservatives. This could be a tough one!
Marlene
cookskorner

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vegetarian