Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What would you bake...?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:13 AM

So when it is cold and drizzly outside and you have nothing but time on your hands what would you whip up and have baking in the oven to warm up the house, scent the air and treat yourself to an afternnoon of coffee or tea and comforting goodies?

I'm making Welsh Cakes. Lightly sweet and chewy with currants. But I'll have to change my criteria above as they are baked on a griddle.
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:22 AM

No question: GINGERBREAD!!!!!! I've always got ginger in the house in many forms, and there are so many wonderful versions -- wet, dry, cakey, bready -- mmmm, too bad we still have half a fruitcake in the house.

#3 Elizabeth_11

Elizabeth_11
  • participating member
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:24 AM

Hhmmm most likely a scone or spice cookie, like a crisp gingersnap or a crunchy sugar cookie suitable for dunking. Or possibly a cinnamon quickbread with a crunchy struedel topping.
-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

#4 CathyL

CathyL
  • legacy participant
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:32 AM

I recently tried the cornmeal biscotti recipe from Claudia Fleming's cookbook and thought they were lovely. Flavored with orange, rosemary and anise seeds.

#5 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:40 AM

No question: GINGERBREAD!!!!!!  I've always got ginger in the house in many forms, and there are so many wonderful versions -- wet, dry, cakey, bready -- mmmm, too bad we still have half a fruitcake in the house.

Suzanne got there first. Cold, grey wet=time to make gingerbread.

I don't have to have whipped cream on everything, but I must have it on gingerbread. And I like that cream really cold.

Thank heavens for a sunny warm day here. I'm still recovering from a week of my mother's dinners...which always include dessert.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#6 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:45 AM

Cinnamon rolls - fills the entire house with their aroma

Banana Nut Bread.

Also Cranberry Nut Bread, Pumpkin Nut Bread, Carrot Nut Bread, Zuchini Nut Bread - you get the picture.

Corn Pudding. Hearty. Satisfying.

Joan Rivers says she's starting a new charity - "Feels on Wheels" - a service delivering sexual contact to the elderly.

#7 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:08 PM

Pie.

#8 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:18 PM

When I started this thread I was thinking back to a cold, wet day in Wales last year. And nothing had ever tasted so good as those fresh Welsh cakes and a pot of tea after a wet day on the Pembrokeshire coast. But damn, why don't my Welsh cakes taste as I remember them? Could be the flour, could be the butter, could be the lard. Could be the baker! Disappointment, to say the least.

So now I'm going to go along with Maggie and Suzanne's suggestion and make gingerbread! Only I think I'll have it with a chilled cider sabayon instead of the whipped cream.
kit

Weebl

#9 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:53 PM

Only I think I'll have it with a chilled cider sabayon instead of the whipped cream.

Super idea! Arghhh, now I might have to try this! And I'd promised: no dessert in January!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#10 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:41 PM

Gingerbread would hit the spot for me too!
Those will come after I make Snowangel's burnt sugar cupcakes from the cupcake thread.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#11 Rhea_S

Rhea_S
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:46 PM

Some kind of whole wheat bread to go with some homemade soup. Then, I'd make some triple ginger gingersnaps or snickerdoodles.

#12 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 03:21 PM

When I started this thread I was thinking back to a cold, wet day in Wales last year.  And nothing had ever tasted so good as those fresh Welsh cakes and a pot of tea after a wet day on the Pembrokeshire coast.  But damn, why don't my Welsh cakes taste as I remember them?  Could be the flour, could be the butter, could be the lard.  Could be the baker!  Disappointment, to say the least.

Or could it have been the fact that it was a cold, wet day in Wales?
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#13 Lesley C

Lesley C
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 04:01 PM

Brownies, but only the brownies from the Baking with Julia cookbook :wub:

#14 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:37 PM

Or could it have been the fact that it was a cold, wet day in Wales?

Could be, could be!
kit

Weebl

#15 Kim WB

Kim WB
  • participating member
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 08:29 PM

Banana bread. Nutty, with chocolate chips. I live near a produce stand, so I have walked there in a snow storm for overripe bananas. Also I make rice krispie treats, not sure why, it started when the kids were young and we were snowed in. My daughter called from college during the first significant snow of the season, said she bought rice krispie treats but it wasnt the same...ah, memories.

#16 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:01 PM

I'd bake brownies too, special or otherwise. :wink:

#17 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:51 PM

English muffins, to be slathered with that really, really good butter from Hope, MN, and homemade apricot jam. While the muffins are raising, brownies or cookies. Keep that oven going!

#18 Dana

Dana
  • participating member
  • 918 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:32 PM

Chocolate chip cookies
Stop Family Violence

#19 Miss J

Miss J
  • legacy participant
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 04:45 AM

Bread pudding. Or crumble. Or maybe a steamed sticky toffee pudding. Something stodgy to bolster you against the damp.

#20 Kim WB

Kim WB
  • participating member
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 06:02 AM

English muffins, to be slathered with that really, really good butter from Hope, MN, and homemade apricot jam.  While the muffins are raising, brownies or cookies.  Keep that oven going!

Do your home made muffins have all the nooks and crannies? That is one thing I never considered making, I think Thomas does such a good job. What recipe do you use?

Is it still Spring like in MN?

#21 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:58 PM

Do your home made muffins have all the nooks and crannies? That is one thing I never considered making, I think Thomas does such a good job. What recipe do you use?

Yes. DOn't know where the recipe came from; it's been on a card in my recipe box for eons. Yes, Thomas does a good job, but the kids really like making them.

And no, it is not spring like here today. But it was yesterday -- 55 degrees, so I took the opportunity to put screw hooks in my pergola and hang new lights. It looks wonderful. We want and need snow. None so far this season.

#22 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:07 PM

Yes. DOn't know where the recipe came from; it's been on a card in my recipe box for eons. Yes, Thomas does a good job, but the kids really like making them.

And no, it is not spring like here today. But it was yesterday -- 55 degrees, so I took the opportunity to put screw hooks in my pergola and hang new lights. It looks wonderful. We want and need snow. None so far this season.

Would it be possible for you to post the English muffin recipe or PM it to me? His Handsomeness has tried about ten recipes and hasn't been happy with any of them. When you have the time.

Thanks.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#23 RMR

RMR
  • society donor
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:08 PM

Going to join the gingerbread crowd here, but mine will be with warm lemon sauce.

#24 nyfirepatrolchef

nyfirepatrolchef
  • participating member
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 11:31 PM

Hhmmm most likely a scone

you tellum hon! Scones, blue cornbread, why not both?
One of these days Ill actually get off my ass and do baklava!~

Edited by nyfirepatrolchef, 09 January 2003 - 11:33 PM.

#25 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 11:41 PM

NYPC: Baklava is amazingly easy and fun to make. Seriously. And most recipes will feed your entire firehouse with stuff to take home.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#26 nyfirepatrolchef

nyfirepatrolchef
  • participating member
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 10:36 AM

NYPC:  Baklava is amazingly easy and fun to make.  Seriously.  And most recipes will feed your entire firehouse with stuff to take home.

Oh I know...had a recipe thats safe for my diet for eons...Im just too much of a *net* addict lately to get off the keys and into the kitchen...pathetic isnt it?

#27 pnapoli

pnapoli
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:22 PM

i'm with jaymes -- cinnamon rolls. and i'm on the lookout for new recipes--i like mine, but am interested in trying others, if anyone's got one they want to share. thanks!

#28 cherrypi

cherrypi
  • participating member
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 11:16 PM

On a cold, miserable winter afternoon, I would crank up some campy music, fix myself a fortifying drink (I've been experimenting with cocktails using Kesar mango puree), and attempt to bake something out of the Desserts by Pierre Herme book.

#29 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 11:45 PM

Brownies, but only the brownies from the Baking with Julia cookbook  :wub:

You are bad... very very very bad... You have made me a baby again... I crave these and friends of mine that have been lavished with these brownies now demand them... I make a batch at least each week.. I have tried them with every chocolate I can lay my hand on.... I have enjoyed using Valrhona the best.... But also enjoyed Scharffen Berger. Michel Cluizel and the El Ray did not move my taste buds positively when used in this recipe.

I have also made batches where I have mixed chocolate brands. Is that an OK thing to do?

And Lesley, thanks for bringing this recipe (Best Ever Brownies) into my life. They are simply delicious. And as you had first mentioned the saltiness of them, I now understand exactly what you meant. Having eaten these and gotten addicted to them, I find even those brownies that I once enjoyed, lacking in overall depth of flavor. And I think the salt in these has a great role to play.

Thanks Lesley!

#30 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 11:47 PM

Bread pudding. Or crumble. Or maybe a steamed sticky toffee pudding. Something stodgy to bolster you against the damp.

I would love a recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding...
Could I beg you for it?

Also what cookbook do you know of that has a great recipe for it?

I could eat this all winter long. :smile: